DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/18/2022

The Natural

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

Tony Khan should consider trying to sign him away. I think they could potentially make a legitimate star out of him.

They'll sign him and then start jobbing him out to the newest NXT guy on the roster.

Love most of what AEW does but they need to stop signing everyone Vince let's go. It's getting to TNA levels of "We know who that is!"

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chriskbrown50 said:

I always feel like Dynamite has 1 segment too much OR one segment that runs long (see Jericho) that rushes the rest of the show. Producing a live show that must fit in a 2 hour window is hard work.  Especially when the crowd interaction comes into play. 

I think this nailed it. Even with Rampage there's so much good but there's always that one thing that could have been, I don't know, on dark or maybe web exclusive or something.

Deeb's promo is in such a weird limbo. That could have been a huge face moment but at the same time justifies why she's so bitter and it's totally justified. Maybe it was just her delivery, maybe they haven't done enough to build the tension with Dustin or play off that she trained Rosa. I feel like it's a similar problem with Hangman and Punk where I'm totally into it but it feels like they missed a step somewhere in the story.

Mox and Kingston back together rules. Mox burying Stadium Stampede and Kingston's "WELL HE IS" about Jericho bringing up his past smack talk on Danielson both popped me. A program with Danielson, Jericho, Regal, Kingston, and 2.0 is so something I would have tried to do in an e-fed once upon a time so it's bizarre to see it actually happening.

Okay, Takeshita's great but maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe not go full All Japan stiffsky with the company champ two weeks before a major show. Hangman took one German where I was audibly gasped.

Men's bracket is a little weird. So Joe's injury is setting up Kyle potentially beating him so giving us Kyle vs. Adam just doesn't feel right. Or at the same time, having a guy who's been compared to a young Shawn Michaels winning a Hart tourney is something more WWE would do. So that leaves Joe winning but does he really need it? Unless Kyle wins it for Canada? 

There could not have been a more perfect pick for the Women's Joker and we better get Maki with Dark Order on BTE again.

Really loved the contrast to last time MJF busted out Yappa Pi Punishment Strappage, Cody selling it like the stations of the cross with Wardlow's "is that all you got?" I know the story is Wardlow here but feels like MJF really needs a signature PPV win one of these days.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Big Z said:

I actually like Gargano a fair amount, though his best stuff in NXT was as a team with Ciampa in DIY. That best said, he does not bring anything to AEW that the roster does not have bunches of already (and some of his luster jumping over has been lost over the last few months).

Do you mean they have a lot of great wrestlers? I'll agree with that. Bring on more. There's an ROH roster to fill soon. I've only seen a handful of Gargano matches, but they were all terrific. I guess I'll have to wait and see what he does regularly to garner such loathing. Tho, can't say I'm looking forward to reading the same lame and repetitive Adam Cole-hate for Gargano in these weekly threads. 

2 hours ago, Log said:

Deeb's promo was like a lot of things on Dynamite: it wasn't inherently bad, it just was timed poorly. I really believe the biggest issue TK has right now is the timing of his segments/shows. There are a lot of things that get too much time (Deeb's promo and Rosa's recent one come to mind) and there are things that get rushed.  

Absolutely!

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

They also mess up key moments of camera shots because it moves too quickly. I think they cut away and only half caught the slap on Dustin. Like how they missed the GTS due to cutting to Punk too long or too soon.

The worst example of this was the focus on the Bucks/near miss of the Buckshot Lariat as the great Adam Page downed the great Kenny Omega at Full Gear.

2 hours ago, Log said:

No doubt it is insanely hard to do.  I can't stand WWE's style of production, but I am always VERY impressed at how clean their shows are for the most part.  That's especially considering how many hours of live tv they do in a given week.  

I also get frustrated with the lack of quality in AEW's taped backstage segments. The point of taping something is that you can get it just right. For example, I would have had Red Velvet and Stratlander doing more takes on that promo from last night. There's no reason for it to have aired that way. Same with the Sydal promo. If you try a couple takes and it's just not working, cut it down to something super short and simple. 

Hell, if I was in charge of AEW's taped segments, the talent would HATE me. I'd be like David Fincher with the takes.

Just copying/pasting and agreeing to help WILL some better takes on the backstage segments. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Love most of what AEW does but they need to stop signing everyone Vince let's go. It's getting to TNA levels of "We know who that is!"

I could see this being a point if they were bringing in people like Harland or Tyler Rust and giving them big pushes, but pretty much everyone they've brought in is a big name that fits the aesthetic AEW is going for. And "ex-WWE guy" doesn't mean the same thing now as it did in 1998. WWE had a monopoly on pro wrestling in the US for 17 years, so of course pretty much anyone worth a damn worked there at one point.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

They'll sign him and then start jobbing him out to the newest NXT guy on the roster.

...but it isn't. Feel free to go look up all the talent WWE has released in the last 3 years and count the folks who AEW signed. You might just surprise yourself!

• Like 2

I'm very satisfied with every single wrestler they've signed that once had a WWE contract. I wonder if I watched WWE programming if I'd give a shit that they were signing/giving opportunities to all these hard working and talented ppl?

I'm willing to bet the Bucks have put over more people cleanly in the last year than Nash did his entire time in WCW. And if it makes you feel better about their selling, their opponents are doing the same thing to them in every match, it's just the style now for better or worse.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

WWE had over 300 people under contract. What percentage of the business as a whole do you think that was? What percentage of people good at this does that account for? I understand your greater point but this isn't 2006 anymore. Signing 10 people (out of 15) that have been let go in a year is not the same as signing 10 people (out of 80) that have been let go in a year. This isn't TNA.

I don't care what hangups people have on Cole or ORiley or Swerve or Keith Lee. All of them are fucking good at their job. Having them on your roster is a good thing not a strike against you. Where was this discourse in the 90s when WWE started pushing WCW jobbers? No one gave a shit that STEVE AUSTIN, CACTUS JACK, MEAN MARK, & JEAN PAUL LEVESQUE came in and were beating WWE guys. Just as it shouldn't be now. That's how the business works. You learn and grow and move on. Even back to the territory days. Dolph Ziggler being the same dude for 20 years taking up space is not a good thing. Movement and always improving your roster and change is good thing.

I mean no offense to you personally. But this is a very dumb talking point.

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, caley said:

Not sure if it was mentioned (I'm not reading 8(!!) pages) but Punk's one line was straight out of 'Heat'

"It keeps me sharp, on the edge, where I gotta be"

I enjoyed that.

I can't wait until Sammy asks Punk why'd he get mixed up with Tay Conti. 

30 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

WWE had over 300 people under contract. What percentage of the business as a whole do you think that was? What percentage of people good at this does that account for? I understand your greater point but this isn't 2006 anymore. Signing 10 people (out of 15) that have been let go in a year is not the same as signing 10 people (out of 80) that have been let go in a year. This isn't TNA.

I don't care what hangups people have on Cole or ORiley or Swerve or Keith Lee. All of them are fucking good at their job. Having them on your roster is a good thing not a strike against you. Where was this discourse in the 90s when WWE started pushing WCW jobbers? No one gave a shit that STEVE AUSTIN, CACTUS JACK, MEAN MARK, & JEAN PAUL LEVESQUE came in and were beating WWE guys. Just as it shouldn't be now. That's how the business works. You learn and grow and move on. Even back to the territory days. Dolph Ziggler being the same dude for 20 years taking up space is not a good thing. Movement and always improving your roster and change is good thing.

I mean no offense to you personally. But this is a very dumb talking point.

Actually, out of the 2020 releases, they didn't sign that many people. Close to what you mentioned, a little less than 10.

But AEW kind of has taken it to another level since the 2021 wave - and only a few from this year, but who knows who'll show up with the most recent cuts.

I'm pretty sure this is a complete list (anyone feel free to add), I might have missed a few since there were some names that might have appeared on Dark/Elevation or Rampage in the past (I don't watch Rampage that much unless something sparks my interest - I'm usually at work)

SIGNED:
Cash Wheeler
Lio Rush
Brodie Lee
Miro
Dax Harwood
Serena Deeb
Tay Conti
Malakai Black
Andrade
Bobby Fish
Buddy Matthews
Angelo Parker
Matt Menard
Swerve Strickland
Jake Atlas
Jeff Hardy
Keith Lee
Mercedes Martinez
Ruby Soho
Samoa Joe
Tony Nese
Samoa Joe
William Regal

APPEARED, BUT NOT SIGNED:
Deonna Purrazzo
Erick Redbeard
Doc Gallows
Karl Anderson
Matt Cardona
Johnny Elite
Leon Ruff
Marina Shafir
Santana Garrett
Tino Sabbatelli
Vanessa Bourne

Not sure about Ace Steel, but he was in a toy hunt vlog with Ethan Page, Danhausen, Nyla Rose, etc recently. Could have just been visiting? Also not sure about Sonjay Dutt. It's harder to tell with mainly backstage people.

Also left out on the "Not Signed" section, is a Rampage spoiler for tomorrow...

Spoiler

Big Damo is Shawn Spears' opponent

• Like 1

A biiiiiiiig portion of that "signed" list are wrestlers who indeed wrestled for WWE but made their names in the indies - or in Regal's case, friggin WCW! So yeah, "TK is signing up Vince's castoffs" is a talking point that's patently false. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

But AEW kind of has taken it to another level since the 2021 wave - and only a few from this year, but who knows who'll show up with the most recent cuts.

Hide contents

SIGNED:
Cash Wheeler
Lio Rush
Brodie Lee
Miro
Dax Harwood
Serena Deeb
Tay Conti
Malakai Black
Andrade
Bobby Fish
Buddy Matthews
Angelo Parker
Matt Menard
Swerve Strickland
Jake Atlas
Jeff Hardy
Keith Lee
Mercedes Martinez
Ruby Soho
Samoa Joe
Tony Nese
Samoa Joe
William Regal

I mean, which of those people would you say they shouldn't have signed? Atlas, Mercedes, and Nese are the only reaches I see and their AEW tenures are jobber who got hurt, vet who put over current champ before settling into a semi-trainer role in new ROH, and low-card heel somewhere between JD Drake and Austin Gunn.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Go2Sleep said:

I mean, which of those people would you say they shouldn't have signed? 

Me, personally? I don't have a problem with any of the signings. I'm not big fans of Lio Rush or Tony Nese, but I'm not going to come in here and act like it upsets me either. In fact, I wish they would have signed more of the women that were cut in the last 2 or 3 years. I've made that pretty well known, too.

• Like 1

One ticket for the Konosuke Takeshita bandwagon, please! I feel like there are a lot of dream matches possible that could take place on AEW's turf for him given all of the promotion's working relationships, but it'll be hard to navigate that in a way that'd keep all interested parties happy. Still, if the guy is around for a while I feel like he should keep getting featured spots. All the potential in the world, and I'm looking forward to checking out his past work. 

If AEW wants to just have their programs be Bret Hart tributes and references to Heat, they have unwittingly discovered the fastest way to my wallet.

I will meet some of you in the middle with Kyle O'Reilly. He alone is probably not enough to get me to buy a ticket, but he combines his MMA/BJJ techniques with pro wrestling in a lot of creative ways, and I think that makes him a lot of fun to watch. He has successfully set himself apart from other shoot-style wrestlers, I feel. And as many of you have mentioned, the finish to his match was great. I think for people who watch pro wrestling and MMA both, one of the harder parts of suspension of disbelief can be that MMA submissions and pro-wrestling submissions exist in entirely different universes in terms of how they usually "work," when it's the same move being done. I don't know if Fenix tapping to that armbar immediately ruins kayfabe, but personally I like seeing some submissions in wrestling that garner immediate results. That was his injured arm, and "panic taps" are a thing in grappling.

• Like 3

Counting both people who made the choice to jump and people who were released and subsequently signed, AEW's roster is probably fairly proportional to large periods of TNA history. People being signed as a proportion of people WWE's released overall probably isn't as high because WWE releases so goddamn many performers anymore. 

WWE regularly seems to hoard and then release premium, high-skill talent who've developed recognizability and name value on their TV, so a lot of people should be getting signed. The knock against TNA signing guys has always been stupid and largely unexamined. AEW should be signing similar amounts of talent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only seen a little of Takeshita on the YouTube shows but he really has a presence. Watching the last chunk of his match with Hangman was intense. I'll go ahead and jump on the bandwagon, this guy is awesome! 

There are a lot of signings and a lot of guys and gals getting lost in the shuffle but I'm assuming some will transition to ROH. 

I know he's over but I just can't stand Adam Cole. Seems he's featured as much as Jericho at this point. Y2J definitely pops up way too much but he has the name recognition to at least justify it to some extent. I haven't seen much KOR or Bobby Fish before AEW but their association with Cole leaves me sour on them too.

Still loving AEW and looking forward to DON but the past month has seemed like a whirlwind and it's a little much to keep track of. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nineteen said:

Hangman took one German where I was audibly gasped.

The one Hangmin dished out looked substantially more dangerous in my eyes and almost Ricky Starks level bad. If Takeshita didn't train doing bridges in the dojo he'd probably be wheelchair bound. Brutal match but I loved every second of it.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

He’s a Lucha Underground guy.

He was so damned good in that. That whole squad was ripping it up both in terms of character and in the ring.

I too wish they'd deemphasize Cole but I doubt it's in the cards anytime soon. 

Who do we think debuts at the PPV? Claudio? Gargano? I still want Bray to pop up and do spooky fun shit and have a great match with Danielson and some okay to pretty good matches with some other capable wrestlers in AEW.