DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/18/2022

The Natural

4 hours ago, hammerva said:

Takeshita performance was so great against Page that I don't think it would have been a problem if he actually won the match.  As long as he can come back regularly.  If this is just an excursion and he won't be back to the US soon then never mind

Takeshita is in the states for one year, mainly working with AEW but he's also doing select indie dates along the way.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, just drew said:

Again, the decision to push nxt refugees over your own homegrown talent is baffling to me. Kyle O'Reilly couldn't draw a dollar with a green crayon, and he's going over Rey Fenix? Maddening. 5'9, charisma free workers grow on trees in the current wrestling scene. There is zero special about that dude, and he and his sawed-off buddies get more TV time than they did at their old jobs. No wonder AEW's audience has stagnated. Adam Cole is truly achieving something special; the chance to kill the audiences of two Wednesday night wrestling shows. Imagine seeing Ricky Starks, Will Hobbs, Swerve Strickland and Keith Lee walk into your building and thinking "we gotta make sure Adam Cole has a match and an interview this week." It's horseshit, and it does nothing for your tv audience, as reflected by the quarter hr numbers.

That Serena Deeb promo was fucking awful. She desperately needs a manager. 

I couldn't agree more. I don't buy Adam Cole as a threat against Peter Avalon let alone Joe, but somehow I'm likely going to have to watch Joe bump for him. Any one of those men you mentioned would be preferable over him in his spot. Plus the Young Bucks whose tiny legs couldn't even reach up to superkick Sting. Poor Stinger had to sell a double kick to the shoulders after no-selling a chairshot, making everyone look stupid. 

Serena's line about the breast implants and shaving her head should have got a really big pop and would have if she had a manager. I respect her wanting to try, but that's been like 3 or 4 segments now against Shida and Rosa where it's unfortunately fell flat. Time to give her a mouthpiece and let the Professor do what she's best at, taking limbs home with her.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Couple notes on random things I saw mentioned...

-They can't just throw out a Blood & Guts two weeks before a PPV. As two rings takes up way more seating than one ring, Blood & Guts will always be known ahead of time, even if it's not advertised yet... based solely on the format of the seating chart. They have to have a giant ringside area and the ramp area will not have as many rows. So people expecting to be surprised by this one day, sorry lol.

-Mox's line was they wanted to kick the shit out of JAS in front of fans and that Stadium Stampede was lame because the fans weren't there live to see them get their ass kicked. Has nothing to do with the team format. So 10 man tag no DQ fits what he was saying just fine.

-Think the post asking if Deeb was drunk is in poor taste since she was released from WWE for alcohol issues back in 2010.

-100% agree Konosuke Takeshita is awesome. Put the ROH World Title on that man and let him become a big fucking star.

-Loved Punk's shirt. I do wonder if that becomes a hindrance when it comes to ad sales down the line. If the Turner people see that and ask to tone it down. But fuck it, roll with it until you can't.

-Johnny Nitro sucks. Sorry for the people that like him, but happy this will be a one and done. Pointing out to Joe where to stand on camera is pretty bad. They just did not click at all.

-I called a Joe vs Cole final in the PPV thread and still think that's what we get. Thinking the women's final may end up being Ruby vs Toni now tho.

-Itoh & Nitro as the jokers were fine. Not super sexy choices but enough star power to not be total letdowns. Itoh certainly has a place on this roster when she's available. But get Miz's sidekick the F outta here lol.

-Pretty sure it's Hardys, Darby, & Sting vs Bucks & Dragons at The PPV. Which is such a random odd pairing of names that I wouldn't have believed if you told me that a year ago lol.

-Da Meltz is saying Bryan getting his leg trapped after Rampage was him just fucking around with the crowd and not real or serious, thankfully.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Leonidas said:

I couldn't agree more. I don't buy Adam Cole as a threat against Peter Avalon let alone Joe, but somehow I'm likely going to have to watch Joe bump for him. Any one of those men you mentioned would be preferable over him in his spot. Plus the Young Bucks whose tiny legs couldn't even reach up to superkick Sting. Poor Stinger had to sell a double kick to the shoulders after no-selling a chair-shot, making everyone look stupid. 

Serena's line about the breast implants and shaving her head should have got a really big pop and would have if she had a manager. I respect her wanting to try, but that's been like 3 or 4 segments now against Shida and Rosa where it's unfortunately fell flat. Time to give her a mouthpiece and let the Professor do what she's best at, taking limbs home with her.  

Careful. I’ve been specifically told that their body type doesn’t matter. @Dogwill bitch at you for bringing up their bony knees, whatever the fuck that meant.

Watching that Super Elite beat down at the end was cringe inducing. Those guys wish so badly they were the nwo. They want to be cool, edgy heels in the worst way. And maybe they could be, if not for the fact that they’re missing the two biggest components that made the nwo believable; size & charisma…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

But get Miz's sidekick the F outta here 

TBH I had no idea he was released, even though I've seen Miz without him on TV recently in the rare event that I look up from my laptop to see whatever WWE programming is on my screen (muted usually).

Not a lot to add that everyone else didn't say, mostly agree with the highlights and lowlights already mentioned. Hangman vs Takeshita rocked, even if the neck sell on the Everest German worried the fuck out of me right away. Lee/Swerve looked damn good, and I was pleasantly surprised by how well O'Reilly/Fenix gelled. Good shit!

Somebody please get TK to throw all the monies at Stokely Hathaway to come in and talk for Deeb. On top of helping speak for her, you can then eventually work up to Jade versus Serena with their respective managers also chewing the scenery. 

• Like 7

A few bumps on the road, but still, hell of a show, packed with crazy matches. Guy is awesome, but it's rather unfortunate that his name is anagram for "take a shit"! Still, the match was spectacular!

Johnny was a good joker, he'll stay over enough, even losing his debut.

First time seeing Ito, but I think I've seen the falling head-first onto her opponent as a GIF somewhere before.

KOR's chest and shoulders looked like the skin of my back after the squat machine workout today! Both guys looked great.

A lot of angles advanced this week. I wonder if Jericho will ever brush his teeth at an arena again? He will probably only use tootbrushes straight out of the box and discard them from now on! Not very eco-friendly, but I wouldn't really blame him!

The good guys really got trounched at the end there!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, just drew said:

Those guys wish so badly they were the nwo

I disagree.  The Elite stooge and heel in ways the NWO never did.  They are classic heels, not cool heels.  The Bucks don't dress in garish shit because they think it looks good.  It makes them look like jokes and they know it.  Ironically, that's along the lines of Cornette and the gaudy multicolored shit he used to wear.  Hall and Nash were middle aged white guys wearing backwards bandanas and Fubu because they legit thought that shit looked cool and edgy.  And the NWO was dominant and made everyone look bad.  They beat everybody like chumps and showed ass once in a blue moon.  I think last night or the week before was the first match Cole won without a nutshot, interference, or both.  There is just a huge, easy to see, fundamental difference between Cole & The Bucks' heel act and the NWO's.

• Like 15

26 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I disagree.  The Elite stooge and heel in ways the NWO never did.  They are classic heels, not cool heels.  The Bucks don't dress in garish shit because they think it looks good.  It makes them look like jokes and they know it.  Ironically, that's along the lines of Cornette and the gaudy multicolored shit he used to wear.  Hall and Nash were middle aged white guys wearing backwards bandanas and Fubu because they legit thought that shit looked cool and edgy.  And the NWO was dominant and made everyone look bad.  They beat everybody like chumps and showed ass once in a blue moon.  I think last night or the week before was the first match Cole won without a nutshot, interference, or both.  There is just a huge, easy to see, fundamental difference between Cole & The Bucks' heel act and the NWO's.

I can see why people would confuse the two because of the crowd reactions. The nWo were cool bad guys in character but were booed mercilessly, at the very beginning. UE are dweebs and act that way but are cheered often like they are cool. It's baffling, but this is the same audience that still sings along to Jericho's theme despite him being full on heel mode. It makes me wonder, if the crowds were booing the fuck out of Cole and co, would even their detractors lighten up a little bit?

Edited by christopher.annino
Multiple typos because of using voice text...
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Matt D said:

So I liked the Deeb promo even though yes, I did see it on 2x speed.

Deeb's promo was like a lot of things on Dynamite: it wasn't inherently bad, it just was timed poorly. I really believe the biggest issue TK has right now is the timing of his segments/shows. There are a lot of things that get too much time (Deeb's promo and Rosa's recent one come to mind) and there are things that get rushed.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Log said:

Deeb's promo was like a lot of things on Dynamite: it wasn't inherently bad, it just was timed poorly. I really believe the biggest issue TK has right now is the timing of his segments/shows. There are a lot of things that get too much time (Deeb's promo and Rosa's recent one come to mind) and there are things that get rushed.  

They also mess up key moments of camera shots because it moves too quickly. I think they cut away and only half caught the slap on Dustin. Like how they missed the GTS due to cutting to Punk too long or too soon.

• Like 2

I always feel like Dynamite has 1 segment too much OR one segment that runs long (see Jericho) that rushes the rest of the show. Producing a live show that must fit in a 2 hour window is hard work.  Especially when the crowd interaction comes into play. 

Edited by chriskbrown50
  • Like 8

Just now, chriskbrown50 said:

I always feel like Dynamite has 1 segment too much OR one segment that runs long (see Jericho) that rushes the rest of the show. Producing a live show that must fit in a 2 hour window in hard work. 

No doubt it is insanely hard to do.  I can't stand WWE's style of production, but I am always VERY impressed at how clean their shows are for the most part.  That's especially considering how many hours of live tv they do in a given week.  

I also get frustrated with the lack of quality in AEW's taped backstage segments. The point of taping something is that you can get it just right. For example, I would have had Red Velvet and Stratlander doing more takes on that promo from last night. There's no reason for it to have aired that way. Same with the Sydal promo. If you try a couple takes and it's just not working, cut it down to something super short and simple. 

Hell, if I was in charge of AEW's taped segments, the talent would HATE me. I'd be like David Fincher with the takes.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Oh boy, hopefully you've never seen Joe sell for scrawny ass 2004 CM Punk in multiple hour long matches, then!

Punk's barely 15lbs heavier than he was then, and in fairness Joe looks like he ate that Joe since then. I know, I know the Brother's Samoan what's he gonna do. But I'm just saying the weight disparity between Cole and Joe is going to be a teeny tiny bit more. Like one of those birds that eats bugs off a rhino's back.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Takeshita is in the states for one year, mainly working with AEW but he's also doing select indie dates along the way.

Tony Khan should consider trying to sign him away. I think they could potentially make a legitimate star out of him.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Tony Khan should consider trying to sign him away. I think they could potentially make a legitimate star out of him.

I second this motion, but even if they don't - they are presenting him in such a way that he will no doubt be a bigger star upon returning to Japan. That type of stuff will be good for the ecosystem of professional wrestling globablly if Khan can continue to get excursions and put them over without sacrificing his own stars in the process.

• Like 3