DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/18/2022

The Natural

5 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I'm sure something was lost in translation, Pete.

It's a Japanese thing, "I will not speak a word to you, my mother, until I WRESTLE THE HANGMAN!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

26 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I would like to put over Serena Deeb promo except for the fact that nobody born in Fairfax VA has whatever accent that was 

She sounds like the fill-in weather girl on DC NBC4 who speaks normally during banter but for the weather segment she drops her normal voice two octaves and over enunciates everything.  Weirdly specific reference for my DC MD NOVA peeps.

• Like 2

I've never been so thankful to see Johnny Lotsofnames in my life. He had a fine match with Joe, nothing world changing but surprisingly their first time ever facing off!

Takesoup was phenomenal and I am eagerly going to check out his work now.

• Like 4

Hangman has definitely earned his rep as a bomb thrower, but I would point out that the DVD and tombstone paid off with Konosuke not being able to hold the bridge on the German because his neck was hurt, so it wasn’t like they meant nothing. A very good, realistic sell on that by Konosuke, too.

• Like 8

As fantastic as Soup/Hangman was, what if they shuffled the finish a bit? Have Page hit the GTS first, only for Soup to kick out since "it isn't Page's move." Then Page hits the Buckshot, THEN does a second GTS to put him down. So Page has the satisfaction of visually beating Soup with Punker's move, but sowing seeds of doubt since it took two tries sandwiched around his actual finisher to do it.

• Like 6

Loved this Dynamite, except for all of the promos. Hangman vs Takeshita fucking ruled even if it was a little too Kings Road/headdroppy for my liking. Jesus. Takeshita is going to be a huge star. The face off with Punk and Hangman at the end was great too. The build to their world title match feels awesome and like something out of UFC.

Fenix vs Kyle wound up being better than I imagined. Lots of submission work from both guys and all building towards who would make the bigger mistake and get caught.

I'm not a JoMo fan, so as long as he isn't signed long term and this was a one shot for him then I'm fine with it. The roster is bloated enough already and I'm not super thrilled with the Owen having zero AEW original talent on the men's side of things. Joe continues to look really good wrestling a style that should get him through the next few years.

All of the stuff with Jurrassic Express, Hobbs and Starks, and Lee and Swerve is great. Loving the subtle continued fuckery with Christian and Jungle Boy. Christian keeps setting Jungle Boy up to fail and I'm here for it. First Starks got me by calling Lee "Rex from Toy Story" and then Swerve killed me saying Starks looked like a bar of soap with a pearl necklace. Can we just let Starks and Swerve talk shit at each other every week?

Look, Britt vs Maki Itoh wasn't a classic or anything, but all it had to be was entertaining and it at least was that. The one thing I don't like with Itoh is the same thing I didn't like about Emi and that's having a singing or singer gimmick. I know the background to it and all, but it doesn't work with American audiences. It's just confusing. When Itoh makes appearances there, I wish they'd lean more into her being vulgar and trying to censor her.

Um, what else...The weekly Jericho Town Hall was fine, I suppose. It was all about showing why people shouldn't automatically think Eddie, Santana, Ortiz, and BCC are going to win and exposing all of their glaring weaknesses. Really dug Jericho bringing up old shit between Eddie and Bryan because I forgot all about that. Eddie being like, "yeah? So? I do think that" was pretty funny to me. 

Oh, I fucking can't stand Jeff Hardy. I don't think I've ever been a Jeff fan and think his style has always sucked. And now he's just more dangerous because he can't protect himself on the bumps he's taking. Cole I do like a lot, but that match should have been Cole vs Darby instead of Cole vs Jeff. I still don't quite get why Jeff didn't give Darby the rub last week. Match was good between Jeff and Cole, if a little rushed.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

still don't quite get why Jeff didn't give Darby the rub last week. Match was good between Jeff and Cole, if a little rushed.

Ordinarily I would agree with this point, but it seems like this match was expressly booked to set up Bucks vs Hardys. YMMV on this (and I'm hoping I'm not beating a dead horse, cause I already brought it up last night) but I cannot say enough about that closing beat down. Yes, it leaned heavily on the past, but it wasn't done as ham-fistedly as other promotions would have handled it. The only thing missing was the spray paint.

• Like 3

I am reluctantly on board with the "put over the Canadian who can use the rub" approach for the men's side of the bracket. Presuming that Cole is heading towards an Omega feud in 2022, he really doesn't need the rub for that. He can eat a couple of big losses because he's irritatingly over with the crowd. This can really make O'Reilly into a TNT title level singles guy though while also giving a more unpredictable feel to tournaments moving forward. I still think they'll go with Cole in the "Bret winning KOTR 93 after losing the title" sort of a thing.

• Like 2

THURSDAY MORNING REWATCH:  Since Thursday is my REAL big day for watching wrestling, what with IMPACT! Wrestling, MLW, and New Japan on AXS, and all of these having actual wrestling matches and not having two hours of garbage I can fast forward through, it's pretty intense by midnight.   Let us start WrestlThursday with last night's Dynamite where we can reflect and not just react as it's happening live.  Yes,  Let us.  Johnny Elite has a cool coat.  He could have been in Queensryche.  I thinking this was a last minute thing because Taya Valyrie was at a Calgary Flames game while her husband was debutting in AEW.  This match was like the Rey Fenix/Kyle O'Riley match where neither really adjusted their styles for the match but just sort of rolled with the other's style, because Joe really kicks the hell out of Johnny, and Johnny does his souped up Kris Kanyonesque offense.  Samoa Joe needs to find a good tag partner and go the Keith Lee route of just hitting his big spots and being a presence.  Hell, Johnny Elite is a proto-Shane Strickland- GET THESE KIDS TOGETHER!  Now I want to see Samoa Joe and Johnny Elite vs Keith Lee and Shane Strickland.  I was watching the Akki/Mei Suruga watch along last night and Akki noticed that Joe is wrestling like a heavyweight now when his thing was being a heavyweight but moving like a junior heavyweight.  It's true but Joe should just embrace his heavyweightness.  This match was waay better than I remembered because all I remembered was Johnny obviously getting Joe in position for his dive off the top and Johnny not really hitting his 450, but Johnny leaned into Joe's stiffness and he did some cool stuff.  I got no beef with this match.  Good job, pro wrestlers!  Hangman Adam Page and Konosuke Takeshita looks like a glorified squash until Takeshita hits that fucking lunatik pescada to the floor.  This match was such a big time US main event style match.  Nothing but giant moves, playing to the people in the back row.  Hangman hits a fucking Death Valley Driver while killing time in the picture in picture, thus I love that this is too guys with big offenses just hitting nothing but big offense on a big TV show in front of a big live audience.  BIGNESS!  They should have just waited in the neutral corners until the commercial was over.  They start back with a fucking Jumping Lariat, a Blue Thunder Bomb and Tope Con Hilo.  Big boots into the fucking High Angle German suplexes and the crowd goes crazy.  Tombstone Piledriver then Takeshita hits a GIANT forearm and GREAT Last Ride THEN into a Everest German Suplex.  Lays the groundwork for Takeshita winning with a Jumping Knee but blocks it and Takeshita crushes him with another forearm.  Yeah, Hangman was trying to flip through the lariat but didn't stick the landing, so the wrestling psychology of "rolling through a toprope move nullifies it" isn't established, so the finish sequence isn't hit clean but what a fucking great match.  I missed the Fuego del Sol vignette.  I don't think I'm tired of the House of Black destroying people yet, so I'm excited about this match.  JD Drake selling the double chop from Keith Lee is so fun.  StrickLee is totally the new Rock and Roll Express- as Swerve works the body of the match and Keith Lee is great being a threat on the apron.  Actually, they are like RKBro, except Strickland has a better offense than Matt Riddle but doesn't sell an assbeating as well as Riddle.  Whereas Randy Orton is the charismatic one of RKBro,  Strickland is the charismatic one of his tagteam, though Keith Lee is also very charismatic.  I will fast forward over the erotic man whipping.  I dig the lucha matwork that Rey Fenix whips out at the beginning.  I now want to see Rey Fenix versus Angelico in a Pure Rules match.  Whereas the Hangman/Takeshita match worked so well because they both wrestle the same style, the style clash of this match is what makes it so good.  Lucha highflying grounded by UWFi shootstyle is two great tastes that for some reason taste great together.  I love that O'Riley matches Fenix high spots with shootstyle highspots- that freaking sideways suplexing spot, the side switching cross armbreaker.  Rey should have foregone throwing elbows and should have stuck with just lucha chops.  This match is fucking great.  Tower of London versus Mortal section is a mission statement of the match- Lucha Libre vs 2000s indie shootsyle.  This match is like Dynamite Kid vs Tiger Mask but if Tiger Mask was better at setting up the spots and wasn;t completely reliant on Dynamite Kid.  That match was great.  I will fast forward through the JAS section.  Britt Baker can't contain her glee with having such a weird ass match.  It's like the weird ass match she had with Abadon last Halloween, where she just gave in to the gimmick of her opponent.  Maki Ito is a spectacle in the US and Baker rolls with it.  Houston freaks out to her set up of her headbutt and the Kokeshi which is good professional wrestling.   Britt Baker has had enough and applies the Mandible Claw.  That match was better than I remember, though it would have been really good as a Dark main event, but it did get over somewhat on a very big stage.  Skipping over the Serena Deeb Incident.   Adam Cole and Jeff Hardy was more of angle than a match to set up Team Cole vs AllinSTINGjeffMATT.  There was a clean finish to the match which was about all I wanted out of this match.   If this was RAW, they would have had the finish be the run-in.  AEW is BETTER than that.  But yeah, don't really care about the Hardys and the Bucks but stick Darby Allin and REDragon in the match and it could be good.  Reflections.....

• Like 8

Samoa Joe, supreme fighting machine, I've long missed you! I'm not sure how this wasn't an impressive debut for Johnny Elite, but I won't deny the sentiment of the room. Maybe it's my being (aware of but) pretty new to Hennigan's work. I thought he provided admirably for Joe's asskicking. Hoping to see him go 'Johnny Honor' when the TV is set. I'm okay with standing alone in loving that opener. I loved Hanger-Takeshita even more. Just beautiful pro wrestling! A little more love for the post-posturing dance between Punk and Hangman. Totally game for more Fuego-House of Black!!! I love the Work Horsemen, Swerve, Lee, Starks, P-p-p-powerhouse! I don't love three ways, but I'm game here. Statlander needs a promo class. Velvet needs one tone of hair color. Baddies are pure joy. MJF-Wardlow keep making lame on paper solid on camera. Loved MJF's intensity, didn't love the visual of Wardlow being pinned. I had hopes for Fenix-O'Reilly being this incredible! I don't care about strapping a belt on Rey Fenix, but he needs to wrestle and win more. Had momentary visions of him being crowned with the Owen Cup, and I really liked it. I couldn't help liking this loss tho. Beautiful finish! O'Reilly-Joe: yes, thank you! Jericho townhall was a bit overlong, but loving Y2J embracing the 'Wizard'. I loved everything Maki Itoh did out there. Her strange-style is welcomed and something I expect to flourish over time. Question going into the future is: can Toni carry Britt to a good match? I think yes. Deeb segment certainly wasn't perfect, but I liked her bad attitude here (more Bret reminiscent to me than a abdomen first turnbuckle bump). I do wish she'd laid out the Natural with a belt shot too. Man, I hated that Hardy-Darby finish. You gotta roll the Coffin drop all the way thru to the flash pin. The way it was, Jeff completely no sold his finish. Not to shit on Jeff, I'm digging beat up old man Hardy much more than I thought I would. And he and Cole really did the best they had with the limited time. Loved the early attack and match. The post attack was fun too. Stang!!! Yeah, the promos were hit and miss and overlong, but I loved this show!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Hoping to see him go 'Johnny Honor' when the TV is set.

That's a great call, and one I would definitely agree with. You can do a lot worse than him as far as a veteran high flier who can actually still go, and has loads of TV experience to pass on to the new guys assuming it becomes at least a partially developmental-focused show.

• Like 2

I'm thinking Joe squeaks past KOR next week, before succumbing to cumulative damage against Cole. KOR winning would be cool, but I don't see how they reconcile Cole being ok with that since KOR is going to be one of his guys in either the Elite/BC Forbidden door feud or the ECW (Elite Civil War) when Kenny returns. Cole winning over Joe gives him a signature accomplishment and keeps Joe pretty strong given all he's been through as the current face of ROH.

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Naw, she's his (suite) Sister Mary.

I sure hope not, Taya doesn't deserve that fate.

• Like 1

Being a very young man, I will note that I saw Queensryche open for Metallica at the Norfolk Scope!  in 1989.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, The Natural said:

FTEX-tiWIAEbIhs?format=jpg&name=small

I actually like Gargano a fair amount, though his best stuff in NXT was as a team with Ciampa in DIY. That best said, he does not bring anything to AEW that the roster does not have bunches of already (and some of his luster jumping over has been lost over the last few months).

Dang good show as usual, with all of the Owen matches delivering nicely and Hangman-Takeshita was a total banger that felt like a title level match. Also, while I get the arguments about Deeb not being earth's best promo, I like the idea of AEW throwing people out there to sink and swim and not being overly produced. Even if leads to mix of both good and bad, the quality of the good from the creative freedom will be worth the trade-off for things that do not totally hit. I'm not tuning into AEW for homogenized production that has no character.

• Like 4