DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/18/2022

The Natural

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I think Johnny Elite would've been fine for a one-off or a few shows, but I don't get signing him long-term right now. They have too many guys, not enough TV time, and not enough people getting booked on TV who should. 

Unless I missed a tweet, I don’t think Hennigan is signed.

12 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Is there merit in Wheeler Yuta turning on the BCC already at the PPV?

He was away from the tapings tonight yeah? I was kinda half expecting him to be dragged out or beaten backstage as a way of justifying how they ended up with the 5 they did.

On one hand, Yuta gains a hell of a lot more from being associated with those guys and makes him into a big deal. Also arguably too soon to be considering it.

On the other, you give them a reason to continue the feud and proceed to Blood & Guts at a later date, Garcia/Yuta vs Ambrose/Danielson allows for Kingston/Jericho to still be the focus of the feud as it should be, and we hopefully get a follow up to the awesome Moxley/Yuta matches in the process. Given the story told so far has been Yuta progressively getting better each time from getting embarrassed to being competitive to Moxley needing everything in his arsenal to keep him down, I feel like that story logically has to conclude with Yuta beating him too.

Yuta's in Japan for the BOSJ

• Like 4

Just now, TheVileOne said:

I could be mistaken. I thought both the Joker slots were signed.

Maki Itoh definitely isn’t signed, she’s just in the US with a few others from TJPW doing indie shows.

Good show for matches, not so much for promo segments. The Deeb segment couldn't have gone any worse, but what was with Moxley's part of JAS/Team Regal promo? "We don't want Stadium Stampede, we want Blood and Guts a Stadium Stampede but uh... just don't call it Stadium Stampede."

MJF/Wardlow segment was solid. Wardlow got to look like a badass, but the heels got their heat before the revenge tour begins.

Takeshita has that real "young lion who will be an ace one day energy" like young Akiyama or Shiosaki. Punk bringing the in-your-face political messaging in Texas again rules.

All the tourney matches were good and didn't overstay their welcome. Sometimes you just need some good, efficient tv matches. Not everything has to be epic.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

I was trying to explain to my wife who John Morrison was and the best I could come up with was "He's just, I don't know, some fuckin' guy who's been around forever and changes his name a lot."

I tried to explain to my mom the same thing, she's seen him before when he was in WWE but didn't quite remember him at first:

(Me) "You remember him!"
(Her, watching his trademark slow-motion intro) "What was  his old name? Johnny Durango?"
(Me) "No....not quite"
(Her) "I'm thinking of Breezango....I miss them."

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Good show for matches, not so much for promo segments. The Deeb segment couldn't have gone any worse, but what was with Moxley's part of JAS/Team Regal promo? "We don't want Stadium Stampede, we want Blood and Guts a Stadium Stampede but uh... just don't call it Stadium Stampede."

Only thing I can think is that maybe they wanna save Blood & Guts as a ratings grab for Dynamite?

• Like 2

I salute the sound worked shoot ground game of Kyle O'Reilly.  My only minor gripe with the match is that Kyle worked that match like he weighed five hundred pounds and was six foot nine.  It is perfectly fine for you to fall to the mat when you sell Rey Fenix's kicks, Kyle.  As a matter of fact, I'd prefer it.

Johnny Elite was even safer booking that the shit I came up with.

I called Maki Itoh but in the wrong context.  

I'm all for Strickland and Lee winning the AEW tag belts in the three-way dance at Double or Nothing and then dropping the gold to FTR after about a four or five month title reign.  Dax and Ca$h should hold all the belts J-Crown style.

Takeshita may be the best worker in the world not named Bryan Danielson.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

Honestly, Page is probably my least favorite wrestler whose matches I've actually watched in 2022. I like him less every time I see him. I was done with that match after the death valley driver. Up until that point page had done a fall away slam, a springboard clothesline, a dive, a big boot. He's a twelve year old's create-a-wrestler.

First thing I need to mention because it's important: CM PUNK'S T-SHIRT.  And the fact that it was allowed on TV.  Clown on "wokeness" all you want but that shit would not be allowed to fly at the other place.

LOL the whole arena bit on JOHNNY ELITE thinking it was Johnny Gargano. Also, I'm bored to death with John Hennigan.

MJF's body says Moon Knight but his hands say The Thing.

Statander is awesome but she needs to put in some reps with Christian to up her promo game like JB did.

Takeshita is so fucking great and Hangman gave him a bunch.  Such a good match.  My wife came in and was asking me about something and I heard in the background the announcers talking about El Generico and had no fucking clue what was happening. 

PS: El Generico is a big boy.

Punk was on point the whole time and it was excellent.

Chuckie T running in looking like Tommy Vercetti.

Rappongi Vice calls FTR "JAM UP GUYS!" 

Kyl'O vs Rey was amazing.  Fuck yes.  And then we get Joe vs O'Reilly.  Daaaaamn.  This company has an embarrassment of riches.

I liked the Deeb/Dustin angle but yeah, Deeb is a little dodgy on the mic.  Content was good, delivery was wanting.  BEAST IMPLANTS FOR OLD PERVERTS!

God damn, give a star to Paul Turner for directing that match.  LOCKJAW LOCKJAW LOCKJAW!

We need a remix of Lee's theme where you hear "SWERVE" yelled out during the beats.

Stadium Stampede is sports entertainment bullshit!

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Honestly, Page is probably my least favorite wrestler whose matches I've actually watched in 2022. I like him less every time I see him. I was done with that match after the death valley driver. Up until that point page had done a fall away slam, a springboard clothesline, a dive, a big boot. He's a twelve year old's create-a-wrestler.

As I was watching that match (and marking out big time), I did notice the criticism of Page that he doesn't really have any build up offensive moves. He's either punches or huge moves. That can work in the context of "he's going to throw the kitchen sink at you" but as someone else mentioned also leads to A LOT of no-selling of killer moves.

From a booking standpoint, John Morrison makes sense as the joker.  It seemed unlikely they’d want to job Joe out already, so I was wondering if they’d really bring in a big name and set him against Joe in their debut match.  

Morrison as the mystery opponent is still underwhelming to me.  When I read that this morning, my first thought was “Welp, at least Savio Vega is off the hook.”

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

As I was watching that match (and marking out big time), I did notice the criticism of Page that he doesn't really have any build up offensive moves. He's either punches or huge moves. That can work in the context of "he's going to throw the kitchen sink at you" but as someone else mentioned also leads to A LOT of no-selling of killer moves.

I think they were rushed to the finish, instead of consciously no-selling the toprope lariat, which is kinda funny- television formatting trumps wrestling psychology, but I'm so used to that at this point that it didn't bother me, because the match was so fucking cool on my free TV.

• Like 4

I don't know what the plan for Takeshita is but I'd like to see him win a few matches before being fed to another star.

And yeah maybe Mundo is only in for one or a handful of matches because I just checked again and did not see an "is All Elite" tweet. Glad it wasn't the other Johnny *spit* but thought they could've gone with a big name and have Satnam and company cost Joe the match. Now I'm trying to remember if any of the Owen matches have had shenanigans... Have they all been clean so far? That's cool if so. Adam Cole winning would be significantly less cool. Plz don't give it to an HBK guy. O'Reilly is both very good and the most Owen-alike of anybody in the company. I get he's a tag guy for now but I'd go with him. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I think they were rushed to the finish, instead of consciously no-selling the toprope lariat, which is kinda funny- television formatting trumps wrestling psychology, but I'm so used to that at this point that it didn't bother me, because the match was so fucking cool on my free TV.

I think he was supposed to flip from the lariat and land on his feet like he rolled through the move, then go back on offense.  But he stumbled and fell, so it had to turn into a "bump and no sell."

• Like 5

Takeshita performance was so great against Page that I don't think it would have been a problem if he actually won the match.  As long as he can come back regularly.  If this is just an excursion and he won't be back to the US soon then never mind

I would like to put over Serena Deeb promo except for the fact that nobody born in Fairfax VA has whatever accent that was  and she is talking about women treated in the business while dating Marty Scurill.   

10 hours ago, Jiji said:

This is incredibly sweet. ?

Sweet? He never gave his mom a phone call before and you think that's sweet? What a jerk!

• Haha 3