DVDVR Message Board

MORE! WHO ELSE IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR IN THE RING?

DEAN

WHO IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR IN THE RING?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. WHO IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR SO FAR IN THE RING?

• Josh Alexander
    • Saya Kamitani
    • Yuma Aoyagi
    • Tomohiro Ishii
    • Speedball Mike Bailey
    • Hangman Adam Page

17 minutes ago, GojiColin said:

Having checked them out, I definitely was off base on Saya.  That being said I'm still sticking with Ishii, but Saya is right there with Hangman in the 1b slot for this group.

This has been awesome.  I had no idea that Yuma Aoyagi was so good until like TWO days ago.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i'm voting for Hangman, because he's the only participant i've seen multiple matches of this year. and, to spite @DEAN, i am not doing any homework on wrestlers i'm not familiar with. not even when he does all the work for me.

DEMOCRACY IS A SHAM!

Can I pretend Josh Alexander is Josh Woods? I’ve seen some of his stuff? Alternatively, how about 1977 Stan Hansen?

I’ll watch that Alexander/Keith match tomorrow even if both guys have two first names.

• Thanks 1

It's crazy that Hangman's only had 8 matches this year in comparison to everyone else, but I dig the special attraction vibe of it. And the singles matches he's had were pretty much all excellent.  

I'm leaning towards Josh Alexander for his killer matches with Jonah, Haas, Ishii, and the classics with Moose plus various tags and everything in between really establishing him as THE guy in Impact.

Shoutout to Speedball for being so insanely active with 50+ matches this year already, Kamitani being on fire, and Ishii killing it everywhere he goes NJPW, AEW, Impact, etc. Tough choice all around.

• Like 2

dZXZmEE.jpg

Who else am I gonna vote for? 

Gordlow and Ishii = tshirt buddies! 

I'm going to buy a black elbow wrap and white wrist tape and cosplay as him for Halloween. 

8cO6rme.jpg

I'm genuinely grateful I didn't have to pick him over MiSu, Bryan, or Kingston, too.

Which brings this to mind: There are an UNSANE UNPOSSIBLE UNCREDIBLE number of pro wrestlers who belong in this discussion. 2022 is shaping up to be one of the great years in pro wrestling history.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Went with Adam Hangman Page as he's still in my pick for MOTY with Bryan Danielson way back at the start of January. Gave it *****. There's the Texas Death Match with Lance Archer as well when poor Page bounced off the steel steps. Honourable mention to Tomohiro Ishii in my Japanese MOTY vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi at Wrestle Dontaku, gave that *****.

Edited by The Natural

Hangman is slightly ahead of Saya Kamitani and Josh Alexander, but since I KNOW who hasn't voted yet, it should really come down to the wire!

I just fins Page so dull and his Finish is People's Elbow level awful
Saya obviously got my vote because 10 months of being consistenly fun to consistently awesom has to count for something. Even when she messes up (like the double knees Phoenix Splash) it makes you sit up and go DAMN!

James

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DEAN said:

This has been awesome.  I had no idea that Yuma Aoyagi was so good until like TWO days ago.

Was it because I name-dropped him in the last thread? That'd be awesome dude...

Anyway, yeah, his Champion Carnival run was fantastic, as was the Triple Crown match last weekend. He brings something different and older school to the table I think. Don't get me wrong, I do love the "I'm going to kick and/or knee strike you into oblivion" style of Miyahara, Marafuji, Lee, Nakajima, Kenoh, etc. that's become so popular in the 2 King's Road feds. But seeing a guy who does a nice crisp elbow drop, fun flash pins, and a brainbuster version of Villano IV's old cradle suplex as his finish is a nice change of pace.

• Like 2

I thought Alexander, who was wrestling at 2 am in the midst of a very busy weekend+, still put on a very good performance against Keith, who he had to get over as a local champ while still bringing to the table the elements that made him special and standout. It was a pretty selfless match for him where both guys ended up looking good and he wasn't diminished at all in defeat.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Eivion said:

I voted Saya because she is the only person here who I have actually watched matches of this year. Only seen clips of Ishii & Page.

HA! I was waiting for you to vote!

Knowing how good the names I know here have been, I'll be checking out those generously shared matches (of Saya Kamitani and Yuma Aoyagi) in the PREP thread. Speedball's been fantastic this year and earning his next and bigger contract. Alexander's been great. Maybe if I could go back and erase the memory of those awful dramatic angles with thespian Scott D'Amore I'd be more apt to vote for him. But then there's Hangman who, to me, edges out Alexander in ring and very much so on a microphone. Tho, not sure it's fair to compare the mic opportunities of Page, in good to great angles, to that forgettable TNA brand weak shit that the Impact team 'Writes'.  All that said, impossible to choose anybody over the most consistently awesome wrestler on the planet - Tomohiro Ishii (aka 'Big Tom' - shout out to the late Larry Csonka)!

On 5/17/2022 at 10:57 PM, DreamBroken said:

I'm leaning towards Josh Alexander for his killer matches with Jonah, Haas, Ishii, and the classics with Moose plus various tags and everything in between really establishing him as THE guy in Impact.

JONAH needs to find his way onto one of these lists beside the blossoming Steve Maclin. Also, Deonna Purrazzo would be a fair entry to one of these lists if she were able to be matched up with comprably skilled talents. Unfortunately she hasn't been thru much of the last year. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, DEAN said:

Are there 5 more joshi nerds on the board?  Lemmee think....

I'm a joshi nerd and hace been since seeing Dump at MSG in 86. Surely we got more Joshi nerds in the joshi thread that are unaware of the women in the polls.

But I stand by my stance that Mei Suruga is the best all around wrestler since Eddie Guerrero!

James

18 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

Wow Saya won. Time to close this thread and give the award to Saya.

Hooray.

What is the You Actually Watched Them Bias Curve that we should consider? AEW > WWE > NJPW > IMPACT + US Indies > Joshi > Non-NJPW Japan > Lucha > Europe strikes me as the not-entirely-fortunate state of things.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John E. Dynamite said:

What is the You Actually Watched Them Bias Curve that we should consider? AEW > WWE > NJPW > IMPACT + US Indies > Joshi > Non-NJPW Japan > Lucha > Europe strikes me as the not-entirely-fortunate state of things.

AEW > WWE > NJPW > IMPACT > Indies > Joshi > Non-NJPW Japan > UK > MLW > Lucha > Europe > Australia

• Like 1