DVDVR Message Board

HELL IN A CELL XIV - 6/5/2022

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm pretty amazed that WWE's doctors let him do that. I know WWE's doctors aren't going to be as strict as UFC, etc. but unless it was a case where he couldn't make it worse and it was just pain management (which may be the case, no idea) it seems really reckless.

It's my understanding that once a muscle is torn off of the bone, you can't really make it any worse. It's already at the absolute worst it can be. So it's not like he could damage it any further. He already requires surgery to reattach the muscle to the bone. At that point it becomes a pain tolerance issue. If he can get through the physical pain of it to work, then there's not a lot of harm in clearing him to work. The problem can't get any worse than it already is.

Cody Rhodes vs Seth Rollins was good.  Rhodes going the extra mile and severing his peck to give Rollins the semblance of a chance was pretty hardcore.  I guess Rhodes is now the new Hulk Hogan because he is ALWAYS going over no matter what's going on.  The matched DEEPLY needed blood, especially if you are going to pull out a fucking bullrope.  That was good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think almost everyone was pretty critical of the AEW spot as well, not everything is a WWE vs. AEW contest. Although it is interesting that two of the more stupid spots/health decisions seen on national TV this year were both done by the same person in two totally different scenarios.

The common denominator and his judgment issues are definitely the main problem. Promotions indulging him in a close second.

• Haha 1

Friends,

Can we just pause for a moment and note that while a lot of the internet is going on about how Cody martyred himself and made things harder for everyone who ever has to decide whether to work hurt in the future and was foolish, etc, our @DEAN's big criticism was that the match needed color.

Spoiler

Bi5d0nD5_400x400.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6

58 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Cody Rhodes vs Seth Rollins was good.  Rhodes going the extra mile and severing his peck to give Rollins the semblance of a chance was pretty hardcore.  I guess Rhodes is now the new Hulk Hogan because he is ALWAYS going over no matter what's going on.  The matched DEEPLY needed blood, especially if you are going to pull out a fucking bullrope.  That was good.

To be fair both actually did nick their arms at some point. It just ended up being minor. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It's my understanding that once a muscle is torn off of the bone, you can't really make it any worse. It's already at the absolute worst it can be. So it's not like he could damage it any further. He already requires surgery to reattach the muscle to the bone. At that point it becomes a pain tolerance issue. If he can get through the physical pain of it to work, then there's not a lot of harm in clearing him to work. The problem can't get any worse than it already is.

It's true that he couldn't make his pec injury worse, but I would think in a physically demanding activity like pro wrestling, you drastically increase the chances of jacking up your shoulder on top of everything else if you have to compensate for a nonfunctional pec. There's also the issue of putting your opponent in more danger for similar reasons. Luckily neither of those two things seemed to happen.

Sometimes good things can come from bad decisions, though. Life's weird like that.

5 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Well, if you let it go too long without getting the surgery, it will heal wrong and you won't be able to fix it. My roommate's ex wound up in that position from bad medical advice.

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

It's true that he couldn't make his pec injury worse, but I would think in a physically demanding activity like pro wrestling, you drastically increase the chances of jacking up your shoulder on top of everything else if you have to compensate for a nonfunctional pec. There's also the issue of putting your opponent in more danger for similar reasons. Luckily neither of those two things seemed to happen.

Sometimes good things can come from bad decisions, though. Life's weird like that.

1 hour ago, kafkonia said:

Well, if you let it go too long without getting the surgery, it will heal wrong and you won't be able to fix it. My roommate's ex wound up in that position from bad medical advice.

Yeah if left unattended it could be super serious and never heal right. But I know there was an LA Ram that tore his pec off the bone during the playoffs but he still played during The Super Bowl this year (Eric Weddle). So it's not just a wrestling thing. The NFL allowed it too. In Cody & Seth's cases they are more than capable of working around it too. They did some gruesome stuff, but they didn't reach past what Cody could handle. No Gorilla Presses or anything. So while extremely painful, still relatively safe.

Much less dangerous than working with a concussion at the very least.

11 hours ago, hammerva said:

Always love the urban legend that the original person planned for the stabbing was New Jack 

New Jack claimed that was true, until they found out he really had stabbed his opponent at a show that same month and got arrested. 

23 hours ago, The Natural said:

Second video is NSFW.

Dusty's stomach sploch has made a triumphant return on Cody's pec! Holy crap! Dude, you may have torn something there. Are you sure you're ok to do this shit? What, this? Naah, it's just my dead father's birthmark coming back to haunt me for good luck! Let's do this!

• Like 2

Meltzer main roster WWE ***** matches:

Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels. WrestleMania X.

Bret Hart vs. Owen Hart. SummerSlam 1994.

Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin. WrestleMania 13.

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker. In Your House 18: Badd Blood.

CM Punk vs. John Cena. Money in the Bank 2011.

Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins. Hell in a Cell 2022.

---

The biggest omissions to me are:

Owen Hart vs. Bret Hart. WrestleMania X.

The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels. WrestleMania 25.

The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels. WrestleMania XXVI.

John Cena vs. Brock Lesnar. Extreme Rules 2012.

Daniel Bryan vs. John Cena. SummerSlam 2013.

The Wyatt Family vs. The Shield. Elimination Chamber 2014.

Daniel Bryan vs. AJ Styles. TLC 2018.

To me, all are *****.

On 6/9/2022 at 8:55 AM, Kevin Wilson said:

My dad finally got around to watching HIAC and he texted me "was Cody's injury real?". That is how much wrestling has broken people's brains on what is real and what isn't, did he think he painted his body ?

Is it that wrestling has broken brains, or are people just maybe not used to seeing an injury such as that?

6 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Is it that wrestling has broken brains, or are people just maybe not used to seeing an injury such as that?

He thought it could have been make-up and just part of the storyline, I assume at some point in his long ass life he has seen what a torn pec can look like since I know I have. He just assumes everything wrestling related that makes it to TV is fake, which in his defense 99.7% of the time that is true.

• Like 1