DVDVR Message Board

HELL IN A CELL XIV - 6/5/2022

Dolfan in NYC

15 minutes ago, Tarheel Moneghetti said:

Hopefully Vince still has the doc who patched Cena up after Carlito stabbed him on speed dial.  Super Cena was back in a week or two and didn’t even have a scar.

It was actually Jesus who stabbed him. He was just working for Carlito.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

It was actually Jesus who stabbed him. 

Henry Hill Voice: It was revenge for being a money changer, and a lot of other things too. And there was nothing we could do about it. Jesus was the son of God, and Cena wasn’t. We had to sit still and take it. 

• Haha 5

I'd suggest people go back and listen to Cody on AEW Unrestricted. He was there 2-3 times. Maybe you don't need to hear the charity bit but that's useful being an interview so close to him jumping to WWE. The most interesting interview is the one that covers the Spears' chairshot incident. His mindset coming in was that it wasn't fair that Rock and Foley salted the earth when it came to unprotected chairshots and that they should be able to use modern science and technique to find a way to reclaim the dramatic visual for wrestlers today and tomorrow. So they tried to create a gimmicked, shaved chair that was more like a cookie sheet than an actual chair. It's the mindset that's interesting though. Maybe deranged or entitled or whatever, but interesting.

I'm 100% convinced that he did the flaming table spot because he thought he was going to be staying and that he was going to be deepening his relationship with TNT/TBS and that the clip of him going through the flaming table was going to be used in every AEW opening and commercial for years to come. It was one time damage that would have rewarded him for years by putting him out there for people to see.

I feel the same here. This wasn't about him showing toughness or dedication. It wasn't necessarily about ego. It was a cost/benefit equation on a few lines: First, he had to win the feud with Rollins. For him to be injured training and to miss the blow off match to the feud would probably set him back. This was his first impression back with the company and he's being pushed to three wins in a row over a fairly top guy. Second, I could be wrong on this, and hey, we're only up to 4 pages on this thread. The AEW PPV had 13 in a post-show thread and twenty in a pre-show thread. Backlash had 3 pages as well. So yeah, I could be wrong, but I feel like this is going to stick. There's going to be lore to this, like the PNW crowd hijacking the show for Danielson or Titus slipping or DX invading in Atlanta or the Beer/Milkbath or whatever. Or I guess more recently/better comparisons would be Britt or Becky with the bloody face. Cody has to be entirely aware how both of them were made by those images. Now he has an image of his own. They'll make shirts and branded nicknames and maybe an action figure out of this. Corey was hammering it hard at the end of the show with the fallen angel and bruises all over his heart and whatever else.

When Cody goes into the WWE Hall of Fame, this footage will be used and this will be mentioned. When he wins the WWE title and does media tours, this is something people will show and he'll be asked about. When they do retrospectives in twenty years, this is something they'll focus on.

It's early days, but this feels like his Austin 3:16.

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I'd suggest people go back and listen to Cody on AEW Unrestricted. He was there 2-3 times. Maybe you don't need to hear the charity bit but that's useful being an interview so close to him jumping to WWE. The most interesting interview is the one that covers the Spears' chairshot incident. His mindset coming in was that it wasn't fair that Rock and Foley salted the earth when it came to unprotected chairshots and that they should be able to use modern science and technique to find a way to reclaim the dramatic visual for wrestlers today and tomorrow. So they tried to create a gimmicked, shaved chair that was more like a cookie sheet than an actual chair. It's the mindset that's interesting though. Maybe deranged or entitled or whatever, but interesting.

I'm 100% convinced that he did the flaming table spot because he thought he was going to be staying and that he was going to be deepening his relationship with TNT/TBS and that the clip of him going through the flaming table was going to be used in every AEW opening and commercial for years to come. It was one time damage that would have rewarded him for years by putting him out there for people to see.

I feel the same here. This wasn't about him showing toughness or dedication. It wasn't necessarily about ego. It was a cost/benefit equation on a few lines: First, he had to win the feud with Rollins. For him to be injured training and to miss the blow off match to the feud would probably set him back. This was his first impression back with the company and he's being pushed to three wins in a row over a fairly top guy. Second, I could be wrong on this, and hey, we're only up to 4 pages on this thread. The AEW PPV had 13 in a post-show thread and twenty in a pre-show thread. Backlash had 3 pages as well. So yeah, I could be wrong, but I feel like this is going to stick. There's going to be lore to this, like the PNW crowd hijacking the show for Danielson or Titus slipping or DX invading in Atlanta or the Beer/Milkbath or whatever. Or I guess more recently/better comparisons would be Britt or Becky with the bloody face. Cody has to be entirely aware how both of them were made by those images. Now he has an image of his own. They'll make shirts and branded nicknames and maybe an action figure out of this. Corey was hammering it hard at the end of the show with the fallen angel and bruises all over his heart and whatever else.

When Cody goes into the WWE Hall of Fame, this footage will be used and this will be mentioned. When he wins the WWE title and does media tours, this is something people will show and he'll be asked about. When they do retrospectives in twenty years, this is something they'll focus on.

Great post. I also think Cody Rhodes' performance will stick in the memory, it'll be to him what Steve Austin bleeding in Bret Hart's Sharpshooter, busted up Becky Lynch through Nia Jax's recklessness and bloody Britt Baker in Lights Out. This might set a precedence though of wrestlers working through an injury instead of getting pulled out. Hell of a display of toughness by Cody Rhodes.

The part that's truly brilliant is equally insanely carny. I assume a pec tear is a relatively safe injury to wrestle with because I've seen sumo dudes work through the same thing in real matches. It also looks totally gross. Cody couldn't have had a "better" injury and his first instinct was to capitalize on it to look like the biggest baby that ever faced, drawing tons of sympathy from a crowd that probably thought his heart was going to fall out of his bellybutton. I still believe the WWE audience will get hip to Cody's borderline-sociopathic ability to bullshit but for now, jeez, this whole thing is so gloriously pro-wrestling. 

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

God-tier Rollins performance. He hasn’t done much for me post-Shield, but that match is a testament to him as a performer too. I also really liked the Roman match at the Rumble, so I guess I’ll have to sift through his last couple of years. 

• Like 2

Cody is tough as nails for doing it but it reeks of doing it for respect from “da boys in the back” which is remnants from a long gone era. 

I can only imagine Vince putting him on a pedestal “some people walk out on shows, Cody does this,pal”. 

• Like 1

2022 has been an eventful year in wrestling and I'd say Cody Rhodes leaving AEW returning to WWE is the biggest news story of the year.

We await to see how long Cody Rhodes is out for with this pec. Think it'll be a while. Still surreal how quickly John Cena returned from his becoming the best surprise entrant in Royal Rumble match history.

I picked Cody Rhodes to end Roman Reigns WWE Universal Championship reign before the injury and still do. Can WWE keep Reigns' as the champion till Rhodes' heals up? Means more if Roman doesn't drop one/both before regaining it. If The Rock's free, WWE will go with him for WrestleMania XXXIX but I can see a (WrestleMania) Backlash with fans wanting Cody.

Intriguing times...

Edited by The Natural

4 minutes ago, (BP) said:

God-tier Rollins performance. He hasn’t done much for me post-Shield, but that match is a testament to him as a performer too. I also really liked the Roman match at the Rumble, so I guess I’ll have to sift through his last couple of years. 

Shield Seth is by far best Seth, more tolerable. I was thinking after this trilogy that Cody Rhodes might be Seth's best singles opponent. Others I'd consider are Daniel Bryan, Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns.

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

2022 has been an eventful 6at in wrestling and I'd say Cody Rhodes leaving AEW returning to WWE is the biggest news story of the year.

We await to see how long Cody Rhodes is out for with this pec. Think it'll be a while. Still surreal how quickly John Cena returned from his becoming the best surprise entrant in Royal Rumble match history.

I picked Cody Rhodes to end Roman Reigns WWE Universal Championship reign before the injury and still do. Can WWE keep Reigns' as the champion till Rhodes' heals up? Means more if Roman doesn't drop one/both before regaining it. If The Rock's free, WWE will go with him for WrestleMania XXXIX but I can see a (WrestleMania) Backlash with fans wanting Cody.

Intriguing times...

They've already had Roman as champion for approximately 73 years, I'm sure they can wait until Cody's back. That man is a legitimate lunatic though, Jesus H.

Still can't possibly bring myself to care or watch the weekly shows after they've gutted the roster, ruined most of their titles and generally failed to learn anything from what AEW does right, but at least I can generally rely on some good matches once a month.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I actually think this may be the best in-ring year of his career. He's never done much for me, but I've really enjoyed him both as a worker and as a character this year. I've actually been surprised by how much I've enjoyed him recently. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I agree with all that, and since it all went off smoothly its hard to second-guess them. My thing would just be that sure, Cody and Vince would want to do it but I am just surprised he was cleared in the first place. Wrestlers are insane, they do all kinds of shit that normal brained humans shouldn't or couldn't do, and while back in the day it was easier to explain I am surprised in 2022 that a billion dollar company would take that kind of risk. This is the same company that the doctors wouldn't let Rikishi do a stinkface to someone due to his medical issues. Its not just the injury itself, sure maybe he couldn't make the pec "worse" if he was careful but he still could have injured something else (or Rollins) due to being at 75% strength.

I'm not offended or mad or anything like that, "surprise" is just my reaction to it in today's age. Lawler kinda put that point over when he said he wrestled someone once with a torn pec, it sounds like something from 1970s or 1980s, not now with actual doctors backstage and the companies being major corporations. The other issue as stated above is now Seth has lost three straight to Cody, once with Cody looking like THAT, so he needs some quick rehabilitation.

15 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I actually think this may be the best in-ring year of his career. He's never done much for me, but I've really enjoyed him both as a worker and as a character this year. I've actually been surprised by how much I've enjoyed him recently. 

Seth has always been my least favorite of the Shield and his nasally voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me.  That being said, the match with Roman, (including him dressing in Shield attire to get in his head), the feud with Rhodes, I mean, he really is having a great run this year.  Easily the most I've enjoyed him.  I think him losing 3x to Cody is more of a good than a bad thing, because i could see this leading to an even more unhinged Rollins(if that's possible) and given how much he goes all in with his characters, im excited to see what he does.

• Like 2

I actually decided to only watch the Seth/Cody match this morning out of sheer morbid curiosity. So this would be my first WWE match I've watched since watching maybe 5 minutes of WM. It's weird that the board still shits on Seth Rollins. I don't think I've ever had a problem with him and whatever his gimmick is now, which appears to be a fashion troll, is hilarious. Cody was as good as ever and I'll be the dissenting voice and just say that I don't think what Cody did was that dumb. I think the dumber part was again going back to what got him hurt in AEW, which is all the bulking up and putting on more muscle. I think the last time he got messed up was with his arm. His frame just doesn't seem to be able to support that much muscle. Relax dude, you don't need to look all huge. You look big enough as it was. 

I think my only complaint is that despite whatever positivity Cody brings to WWE, he is never going to change how matches are filmed and produced or how commentary is produced. Since stepping away from watching WWE, any time I go back to watch a match, it's legit almost nauseating to watch. I'm also normally pretty good at tuning out commentary to the point where I don't have much of a problem with JR because I just never hear him, but with WWE's announcers, I can't not hear them. It makes the matches feel more about them than the guys in the ring. If Cody could also get WWE to tone down it's presentation and bring it down from a 10 to about a 7 then I might be inclined to watch more. As it is, it's just too much to watch on a regular basis.

Even still, it was a really good match and Cody is gutsy as hell. Like hammerva said, they basically need to put the title on Cody as soon as he returns. Anything less would be at the top of WWE's list of fuck ups.

• Like 3

The reason people shit on Rollins isn't his character work in promos and certainly isn't his physical execution. It's that he tends to be out there to get his shit in, has a tendency to do one move too many before selling things, has never really worked well as a heel in-ring as he's more or less set up to be a face through his moves and mannerisms and body type. That character work doesn't traditionally bleed over into his ringwork which is basically crossfit Shawn-ism.

People don't shit on him here because he's an annoying heel that we're not supposed to like.

Now, I'm not sure how much of that is still true over the last few years because I haven't watched his stuff. This wasn't exactly the best match to see it in, though I hated the roll through Cross Rhodes spot. But it's all sort of buried in his wrestling DNA/the way he trains/views the world/what he sees his strengths to be, etc. He probably doesn't think anything I just mentioned is a problem and he's been on top for almost a decade and has become hugely rich, so on some level, it's hard to argue with him. Except for that's what we do.

• Like 2

I love the hushed buzz in the crowd when the match starts. Cody had to fire them up because I don’t think anyone actually thought they were going to see a competitive wrestling match with him in that state, even after the bell rang. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

That was absolutely nuts but feels like the sort of thing that’s incredibly reckless for a public company to do. Cody you madman.

Was it more reckless than letting him use fire, including what appeared to be incorrect use of protective gel? Both are stupid, but I’d say one was more potentially calamitous.

12 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Was it more reckless than letting him use fire, including what appeared to be incorrect use of protective gel? Both are stupid, but I’d say one was more potentially calamitous.

I think almost everyone was pretty critical of the AEW spot as well, not everything is a WWE vs. AEW contest. Although it is interesting that two of the more stupid spots/health decisions seen on national TV this year were both done by the same person in two totally different scenarios.

• Like 1