DVDVR Message Board

HELL IN A CELL XIV - 6/5/2022

Dolfan in NYC

Today is my birthday and we had over some friends and the kids across the street over for the show and some grilling. The boys, my nephew included were in and out of the show. They loved the Women's title match, but when Cody revealed that bruise? All three of these 11-12 year old boys were transfixed. They know what wrestling is. I've taken them to house shows and a RAW. This was the first time they were captivated by the idea that " Oh shit. That guy is hurt for real and is still doing this crazy shit, and WON!" They were wincing every time Cody took a shot. And by the end Cody became one of their new favs.

edit: Oh, when I explained to the kids what the polka dots were about, they started talking about how Cody is fighting through the injury because it's messed up to make fun of his Dad.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Today is my birthday and we had over some friends and the kids across the street over for the show and some grilling. The boys, my nephew included were in and out of the show. They loved the Women's title match, but when Cody revealed that bruise? All three of these 11-12 year old boys were transfixed. They know what wrestling is. I've taken them to house shows and a RAW. This was the first time they were captivated by the idea that " Oh shit. That guy is hurt for real and is still doing this crazy shit, and WON!" They were wincing every time Cody took a shot. And by the end Cody became one of their new favs.

edit: Oh, when I explained to the kids what the polka dots were about, they started talking about how Cody is fighting through the injury because it's messed up to make fun of his Dad.

Happy Birthday. Have yourself a good un!

• Like 1

I'm pretty amazed that WWE's doctors let him do that. I know WWE's doctors aren't going to be as strict as UFC, etc. but unless it was a case where he couldn't make it worse and it was just pain management (which may be the case, no idea) it seems really reckless. I mean if Cody came out and grabbed the mic and said "I am too hurt to wrestle" and took off his shirt, everyone in the crowd would have nodded and said 'ah ok good don't wrestle.' Then just have... fuck I could name a dozen wrestlers that could have jumped in there and had a good match with Rollins, they have 3549 people on their roster. It was already a "B" PPV anyway, it wasn't WrestleMania. It was almost uncomfortable to watch, I've seen a lot of wrestler injuries but usually they are mid-match, that was uncomfortable from the bell ring.

In a way it reminded me of the flaming table spot, Cody tries so hard to impress people and show he is "all in" and that's an admirable trait, but he really does need to be protected from himself sometimes. I hope he didn't injure it worse and he gets it taken care of, and comes back ready to go in a few months.

• Like 2

This was a better show than it looked like on paper. I thought the women's match should have been the main event, but I'm glad it worked out how it did.

The good thing about Becky losing is she's going to go even more crazy because of this. I'm all for Becky being crazy.

Bobby Lashley was super over tonight and they should do Bobby vs. Roman at Summerslam.

Moving along to the end since that's what everyone cares about, good lord Cody must be insane. When he was walking to the ring and not lifting his right arm is was clear ok that's the banged up side. Before he took the jacket off you could see some bruising on his upper chest. When that coat came off I was like whoa. I thought maybe it was embellished a little with make up, but Meltzer on twitter swears thats what a real torn pec looks like.

I can't imagine the pain he was in because that purple color got darker as the match went on and he took several shots straight to it. The weight belt made me wince. Seth could have been more of a dick and just chopped him the entire match. They went above and beyond. Cody easily won W.O.T.Y. tonight. I don't think anyone will come close to making a match that compelling for quite a while.

• Like 2

Women's match was great though not a fan of Asuka taking her 3rd straight fall in 3 weeks, but Bianca winning was still the right call.

Lashley came off like a real mega star here tonight, great reaction in the post-match celebration.

Main event was insane. Amazing moment/performance for Cody, gonna suck if he's on the shelf for quite some time after this. 

11 minutes ago, Fallacy! said:

Hell of a Ricky Morton impersonation from Cody tonight. It's a shame he did all that in front of a crowd that primarily only wanted to see someone get thrown through a table.

Welcome back !

• Like 1

Just think, just over six months ago, Cody Rhodes put himself back first through a god damn flaming table.

And it pales in comparison to what he did tonight. I really hope it didn't make a bad situation worse.

edit: I think this sums it up nicely.

https://makeagif.com/gif/major-league-nice-catch-dont-ever-f-do-it-again-hd-1989-6FFtvu

Edited by SirFozzie
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Fallacy! said:

Hell of a Ricky Morton impersonation from Cody tonight. It's a shame he did all that in front of a crowd that primarily only wanted to see someone get thrown through a table their hometown boy win the US title.

FTFY. 

• Like 1

After that performance last night,  if it Cody isn't a world champion in the next 6 months than the WWE is a lost cause.    If you can't have Reigns do a job on the RAW title at the very least have him cash in the MITB 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hammerva said:

After that performance last night,  if it Cody isn't a world champion in the next 6 months than the WWE is a lost cause.    If you can't have Reigns do a job on the RAW title at the very least have him cash in the MITB 

He's probably gonna be on the shelf at least 6 months to a year unless he gets bitten by a radioactive John Cena or something 

Edited by Sammo~!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

From a kayfabe perspective, how shit does Seth look not being able to beat someone with such an obvious serious injury?

It didn’t help that the commentary team went out of their way to repeatedly assure viewers that the dastardly heel in no way caused Cody’s injury.

24 minutes ago, Sammo~! said:

He's probably gonna be on the shelf at least 6 months to a year unless he gets bitten by a radioactive John Cena or something 

Hopefully Vince still has the doc who patched Cena up after Carlito stabbed him on speed dial.  Super Cena was back in a week or two and didn’t even have a scar.