DVDVR Message Board

Impact Wrestling Spoilers for 6/16/22

*Taped for BTI: Laredo Kid def. Blake Christian (8:38) after the Spanish Fly

Impact Wrestling - Airing June 16, 2022 from Kissimmee, FL

*Tasha Steelz & Savannah Evans def. Jordynne Grace & Mia Yim (6:53) when Tasha pinned Jordynne via rollup with tights pulled

*Trey Miguel def. Speedball Mike Bailey (15:09) with a small package

*Masha Slamovich def. Alisha Edwards (w/ Gisele Shaw) (1:03) after the snow plow.

*The Briscoes (Jay & Mark Briscoe) def. Bullet Club (Jay White & Chris Bey w/ Hikuleo) when Mark pinned Bey with a rollup. The Good Brothers did commentary. 

*Honor No More (Kenny King & Vincent w/ Eddie Edwards) def. The Aces & Eights (Garett Bischoff & Wes Brisco w/ D'Lo Brown) (7:40) when Vincent pinned Brisco. After the match, D'Lo fought off Honor No More until Taven & Bennett ran down to stop him and then Kazarian & The Motor City Machine Guns made the save.

*Scott D'Amore hosts the contract signing for Josh Alexander vs. Eric Young at Slammiversary to close the show. Josh talked about growing up a fan and looking up to Eric Young but becoming disappointed and what he became. The table gets flipped and they end up in a brawl. D'Amore knocked down Deaner, so Young took him out with the VBD flag. Violent by Design tear apart the ring and choke out Josh. Young gives Josh two Piledrives on the exposed wood. The lights went out and Sami Callihan appeared to chase off VBD and help Josh up. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Thanks 1

Note: This is long and has lots of name-dropping. I am having fun tonight. 

Ooof. Savannah Evans wasn't there to catch a tope by Jordynne so she stuck her landing and just forearmed Evans as she walked into place for the catch. Not good. 

Hot Take: I don't like Speedball Mike Bailey. The Karate Kid gimmick, the corny selling, the bad hair (though it is some straight '80s Wrestler Hair so he gets points there still), the overly complicated ringwork. He can kick really hard though. Honestly a good wrestler for Impact -- gives people something innovative-looking to watch, seems to work fine as face or heel, and has the kind of dirtbag indie feel that most of their crew has. How does a Canadian get a five year ban from America? Did he piss on the orange one's shoes back then or something? 

Speaking of wrestlers I haven't seen enough of, I back Masha's decision to be the new Dump Matsumoto completely. Give her Max the Impaler as backup to help crush everyone completely and utterly after matches.

The Good Brothers making a Gordon Solie crack based on gin is perfect, except it was probably better to say scotch instead. Yet, you can see Gordon as a gin man too... and not exclusively based on his name. Hmmm. What WAS Mr. Solie's preferred choice of liquor, actually? Clearly the Briscoes have hit FTR's high water mark, or vice versa, at this point. Another lesson to Speedball (which is a nickname that should go to somebody like Raven instead): don't do Karate when Mark Briscoe is in the house. Pollo Style! 

At least Chris Barnes Vincent wasn't wearing sandals again like last week. Hold up, I have never seen Garrett Bischoff or Wes Brisco before -- are they in the running commentary of best/worst generational talents or not? I had no idea that Brisco was a Brisco or actually existed. D-Lo having a job in the wrestling business still is awesome.

Josh Alexander has A LOT of veins and arteries popping out of his head. Jesus. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

Opening tag had some rough spots but Tasha shines as always and was the star of the match all around. Looking forward to the Queen of the Mountain. Trey/Speedball was awesome. I'm down with Speedball for X Champ. Masha is always killer to watch, great squash.  Solid tag matches. Loved seeing Impact legend Garett Bischoff~! make his return. Nick Aldis kind of an underwhelming pick for the Impact originals tag but that works I guess. Really good closing segment and final build to Slammiversary. Good stuff from both guys and I got a good laugh out of D'Amore suddenly punching out Deaner. Blood added to the effective beatdown even if it seems like an obvious defense for Josh. Slammiversary should deliver the goods, hoping for as many past stars as possible to celebrate Impact 20. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Ooof. Savannah Evans wasn't there to catch a tope by Jordynne so she stuck her landing and just forearmed Evans as she walked into place for the catch. Not good. 

But I would really like to see Savanna Evans in a singles match with Mia Yim and Jordynn Grace.  Evans will lay it in the most of anyone in the KnockOuts division, other than Masha Slamovich.  Actually, Yim will lay it in too.  As her coming to IMPACT! is like Toni Storm coming into AEW- everything gets more snug.  Jordynn Grace crushes Tasha Steelz with a Spinebuster as Grace has REALLY been laying it in lately.  That wasn't really a tope that Evans was out of position for.  I'm not sure what that was supposed to be.  I think she was expecting a tope?  Steelz wins by being WILEY!  PUT THE BELT ON CHELSEA GREEN!    I love Speedball Mike Bailey.  He''s the Canadian Matt Sydel.  And I love his mall karate gimmick.  Trey Miguel is the guy who is too indie for me.  Bailey is fucking awesome at the start of this, doing great variations on a headlock.  Trey Miguel is a poor man's Arez what with his attempts at Strange Style but I don;t want be too hard on him as he does nice stuff on the mat in this.  Bailey wrestles 80 times a month so he doesn't work very stiff but his kicks look fine, if not spectacular.  I like that he is taking Miguel to the mat.  Miguel's kicks look pretty crappy but Miguels elbows look pretty good but then he goes back to his kicks- which look pretty shitty compared to Bailey's Just Stiff Enough kicks.  Miguel IS a spectacular highflier.  The thing is that Bryan Danielson is ALSO on free TV and you have to compare your kicks to his.  Cool finish.  I await Ace Austin vs Alec Zayne to feud for the X-Division belt.    Masha Slamovich trained with Chigusa Nagayo and motherfucking Akira Hokuto so the fact that she channels Hokuto is so fucking awesome.  Her Northern Lights Bomb is so fucking awesome- though it isn't as ridiculously dangerous as the Dangerous Queen's.  Poor Alisha.  OH NO!  GISELLE SHAW IS NEXT!  JAY WHITE!  He's EVERYWHERE!  Hey!  Where is the IWGP belt?  Oh!  Right.  IT'S THE BRISCOES!  Jay White wrestling Jay Briscoe is fucking awesome.  IMPACT! is awesome.  Mark Briscoe and Chris Bey wrestling each other is also fucking awesome.  Tom Hannifan brings up the Briscoes vs FTR.  IMPACT! has the best commentary in all of wrestling.  Chris Bey is an athletic freak, getting preposterous amounts of air under his Tope Con Hilo.  White is great being all wobbly after a Jay superkick.  Mark hits a fucking gnarley Uranagi on White, who takes it directly on his neck.  This match is fucking great.  Maaan, Jay White is sooo fucking good. He is making the Briscoes look like killers like FTR made the Briscoes look like killers.  PUT THE STRAPS~! ON WHITE AND BEY!  That was fucking great.  Wes Brisco is on my TV!  Man, it's been what, ten years?  I don't remember ever seeing Garrett Bischoff wrestle.  Vincent and Kenny King are guys that can help any guys with as much ring rust as I assume these guys are suffering from.  Aces and Eights look great as VINCENT HAS A FINISHER!  WHO KNEW?!?  D-Lo Brown STILL HAS A WIGGLY HEAD!  MCMG's and KAZ save D-Lo from Honor No More!  Hey!  Nick Aldis is on the PPV!  WHY NOT?  I ask you, WHY NOT!  And it's a contract signing!  I imagine someone is going through a table.  IMPACT! DRAMA!  Josh Alexander names famous IMPACT! wrestlers but doesn't mention Ethan Page!  OH NO!  Deaner DDT's Alexander for the HONOR of Ethan Page!  AWESOME!  JOSH ALEXANDER BLEEDS!  YES!  Oh man,  Alexander hits a gusher.  Piledriver on the exposed wood!  That was fun.  YAY! IMPACT!  More Jay White vs Jay Briscoe!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DEAN said:

But I would really like to see Savanna Evans in a singles match with Mia Yim and Jordynn Grace.  Evans will lay it in the most of anyone in the KnockOuts division, other than Masha Slamovich.  Actually, Yim will lay it in too.  As her coming to IMPACT! is like Toni Storm coming into AEW- everything gets more snug.  Jordynn Grace crushes Tasha Steelz with a Spinebuster as Grace has REALLY been laying it in lately.  That wasn't really a tope that Evans was out of position for.  I'm not sure what that was supposed to be.  I think she was expecting a tope?  Steelz wins by being WILEY!  PUT THE BELT ON CHELSEA GREEN!

I snuck in right as that spot happened so have no other opinion on the rest. If Evans is as stiff as Masha I should tune in more. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

@DreamBrokenyou rule as the Impact gatekeeper out here. You always got love for what's going on and post up results and opinions when few here probably would. Thank you bud. Just felt that needed to be said ?

Appreciated! Always glad to carry the Impact flag here the past 10+ years, to help anyone that may not watch still be able to follow along, and always good to see more people like you catch/enjoy some Impact! They've had high and lows but most of the time is pretty enjoyable 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

How does a Canadian get a five year ban from America? Did he piss on the orange one's shoes back then or something?

I might be oversimplifying a bit, but if you're a non-U.S. citizen and you cross the border to take paid work in America (i.e. indie wrestling dates) without a work visa, and the border crossing folks find out about it, that's what can happen.

This happened pre-Trump btw.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Fired up the Pluto Machine and joined Briscoes vs Bullet Club in progress. Good brothers killing it on commentary talking about popping the Fukuoka Dome business and all that carny shit. Then Chris Bey hits an outside dive on the Briscoes. The match was equally as good as the commentary. Mark rolls Bey up in a school boy for the 3. I liked this match. The Briscoes in Impact is a good fit. Took em 20 years to come back but hey they are back.

The Reverse Battle Royal is being promoted as “uniquely TNA” well it is. Then they have some guys Johnny Swinger included talk about the battle royal and Swinger says he’s a natural like Andy Douglas and that popped me.

When I read the spoilers and saw that Bischoff and Brisco were showing up as the Aces and Eights I rolled my eyes then I watched the match and I liked it. TNA/Impact had had a history of invading stables so it was cool to see the invading stable of ten years ago Vs the invading stable of today. Eddie Edwards at ringside got into it with a fan, verbally. I wouldn’t mind Bischoff and Brisco coming in semi regularly as a lower card tag team with D’lo as there manager. The biggest pop of this match was when D’Lo got involved after the match was over and hit a sky high and teased a frog splash crowd went crazy for him. The TNA/Impact crowd also went crazy for D’Lo whenever he showed up. I wish TNA just worked around Browns All Japan commitments and just booked him as a special attraction he was a made man to the TNA audience after that ladder match With AJ but I digress.

Hey you know what D’Lo should have been the 5th man not Davey Richards. 

I got busy doing something so I missed the beginning of the contract signing but I enjoyed it, Josh Alexander referenced the Don’t Fire Eric angle, D’Amore dropped Deaner with a right, Violent by Design tore the ring canvas up, piledrove Alexander into the weed and The Champ was left bleeding by The Challenger going off the air.

• Like 1