DVDVR Message Board

WHO IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR IN THE RING?

DEAN

WHOM IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR SO FAR IN THE RING?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. WHOM IS HAVING THE BEST YEAR SO FAR IN THE RING?

Of those six names, I'd go for Dax Harwood for #FTR vs. Briscoe Brothers, #FTR vs. Young Bucks I both had at ***** and #FTR vs. FTR. Honourable mention to Cody Rhodes and Jon Moxley.

No CM Punk, Bryan Danielson or MJF?

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

No CM Punk, Bryan Danielson or MJF?

Next week. Also know that once again we are SHOWBOATING the SHAME!  We know who you voted for.  Yes. Yes we do.....

• Thanks 1

• DEAN pinned this topic

I see Mox as kind of like peak Hansen whereas he's a foil that others can use to have performances to create great matches. Mox is a constant and it's up to the Yutas and Thatchers of the world to rise to the moment. I tend to give that role just a little less credit than others in the grand scheme of things while still noting how remarkable and special it is.

• Like 1

I’ve found Dax’s solo and tag ventures to be quite enjoyable. I mainly watch AEW so that limits my answer here, but the FTR match against Dragon Lee & Dralistico had great heel heat. Of course the classic recent matches with their current face turn.

I can see the arguments for Mox, but I haven’t seen his GCW work which sounds awesome. His match with Danielson was intense and brutal, a favorite of mine from the year. Plus his stable is my favorite thing in wrestling right now.

I haven’t watched WWE (outside of YouTube clips!) so I can’t vote Bianca but I am a big fan of hers.

Limiting it to just this year, I’ve only seen Cody’s Guevara match which was a spectacle and I’m sure he’s going to kill it in WWE.

I’m not familiar with Starlight Kid. Recommendations?

Wheeler is going to be a killer this year. @AxB had an interesting post in [insert wherever he said it] about Yuta playing the role of rookie in AEW so he can unleash his murder as he joins the rough n tough Blackpool Wrestle Gang. I love that! I need to see his work outside of AEW to be fair to him.

I’m voting Dax. The Punk match, the Cole match, the AAA match, Young Bucks, Briscoes, and FTR colliding he is having a phenomenal first quarter of 2022. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

I like how Dean always hedges his bets on "Who" vs "Whom" on these polls. (For the record, "Who" is correct in this case.)

We whom use fauncy talk use WHOM.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

I’m not familiar with Starlight Kid. Recommendations?

Stuff on the free internet.

MOTY candidate against AZM.

Against KAIRI.

Against motherfucking Natsupoi.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

I see Mox as kind of like peak Hansen whereas he's a foil that others can use to have performances to create great matches. Mox is a constant and it's up to the Yutas and Thatchers of the world to rise to the moment. I tend to give that role just a little less credit than others in the grand scheme of things while still noting how remarkable and special it is.

Yeah, I should have gone with Moxley.  His match against Will Ospreay is exactly what you are talking about.  Tom Lawlor, Wheeler Yuta and Ospreay had the best matches I've ever seen them in against Moxley.  And he isn't as referential as Harwood, too.

• Like 2

I gave Jon Moxley an honourable mention for WOTY. Mox is definitely comeback of the year from rehab for alcohol, the shape he's in and the matches he's had with Danielson, Yuta, BCC etc.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Mox all the way. As folks have said, dude comes off as a killer while simultaneously making his opponents shine. Dude's always been good but since going sober he's on a whole other level. You essentially HAVE to create something like BCC because otherwise Moxley would just have to go and win every belt and that's just not fair ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I went with Bianca, though I'd have written in Yuma Aoyagi if I could...

Next week!

• Like 1

My viewing of anything outside of WWE and Stardom is limited so there is plenty I haven't seen from 4 of the 6 people here.

Went with Kid. She is having her strongest year yet with her match against KAIRI, Natsupoi, & AZM along with her general tag work with Oedo Tai. Her specific teams with Momo and Ruaka/Rina are good. Feels like barring injury or sickness she should continue to put out quality work.

Only seen one match of Dax and Yuta's. That Briscoes match was great and a top ten for the year among what I have caught. The Moxley match was good stuff. Probably should seek more out. I know the Bucks match is recommended viewing, but I'm pretty so-so on those two. Like I understand they are good, but I don't care for their stuff too much even when I do think its quality work. Kind of the same with Omega. Not really sure what to check out of Yuta's beyond general BCC matches which I probably want to see anyways.

Dug Moxley's matches with Yuta, Biff, and Ospreay. Still, I suspect even if I watched more I would probably still have him under Kid though I still may search more out later since I do like his work. Just been lazy about catching it.

Not sure about Cody's AEW stuff, but I have dug what he has done in WWE so far. He has made even enjoy Seth Rollins singles matches. Right now its just too early, espeically with Seth as his main opponent.

Bianca had some good stuff with Doudrop and her match with Becky at Wrestlemania was great. I rate it and the Briscoes/FTR match around the same. Her general work is usually worth catching as well. She ranks behind Kid out of the people here and only Moxley and maybe Hardwood are people I can see potentially placing ahead of her after catching more.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

It's Mox but I'm boycotting the lack of Zack Sabre Jr.

EDIT: oh wait we're doing a thing

Man, we're going to have like 15 people on next week's poll.

• Haha 2

This feels like March Madness, except DEAN is putting wrestlers into UEFA Champions League like groups.

Case in point, I have no idea who Starlight Kid is, but this wrestler feels like they went through the playoff qualification process to get squashed by Manchester City in the group stage.

Edited by cubbymark

4 minutes ago, cubbymark said:

This feels like March Madness, except DEAN is putting wrestlers into UEFA Champions League like groups.

Case in point, I have no idea who Starlight Kid is, but this wrestler feels like they went through the playoff qualification process to get squashed by Manchester City in the group stage.

Oh I don't think I'm going to get that elaborate with this.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
21 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Man, we're going to have like 15 people on next week's poll.

I'd ask for Ibuki Hoshi representation, knowing full well I'm the only one who'd vote for her. ?