DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 5/13/2022

I’m not mad. It’s just dumb and silly when the truth would have worked well. Shida does a video nominating Statlander in her absence. If Kris fails that could be molded into a number of storylines.

• Like 1

Rewatching this morning:  Rey Fenix getting over Marq Quinn is the best part of the 6 man. And the Butcher's lariat on Pac against the ring.  Marq Quinn vs Rey Fenix would be a logical progression.  I skipped over the Shawn Spears match. Because.  I.  Can.   Riho is more of a Blue Hearts fan.  Her bridging kneebar is awesome.  HOUSE STYLE of Soho missing the Blade Runner and Riho killing her with Crucifix Powerbomb was awesome.  The Backdrop Driver looked awesome because Soho can just rag doll Riho and it looks like the power move it's supposed to look like.  Every time I see Sammy Guevara I just assume he is thinking, "How can I almost break my neck in a match against Frankie Kazarian?  Hmmmmmm...."

• Like 2

Maybe they should've clued Shida in on what was going on and got her on the same page if you're doing an obvious bullshit injury storyline. But between this and her other recent comment, it seems like she's potentially not on the best terms with Khan at the moment. Hard to blame her. 

Edited by Jiji
  • Thanks 1

SRS reported he was told by multiple people this has been the plan for at least some time now and Shida knew beforehand she was going to be out. 

I suppose I should be generous and allow for the possibility that this was a case of someone who speaks English as a second language flubbing an attempt to kayfabe why they’ve been wrestling elsewhere while “injured,” but it really just comes off as mark mentality to me. Very sorry you weren’t scripted to be in the fake tournament!

Edited by EVA
  • Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
46 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Eddie Kingston’s wife says hi 

Hello, Eddie's fictional wife. I hope you're well.

I'm not sure what the disconnect is here. AEW invokes other promotions and their stories and we're expected to take those at face value, but in this situation, we're supposed to ignore it. If they want me to be a fan that follows other promotions (or at least accept their telling of why those wrestlers are important) to understand when those wrestlers show up, cool, I get that. But at the same time, they can't then make up a story out of whole cloth and be surprised when it doesn't just work with a handwave.

If AEW wants to be a promotion that creates it's own... dare I say "universe"?... be my guest. But that's not the way they've done things in the past and it's beyond strange that they've started doing it lately. Thank you for providing another example.

56 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Eddie Kingston’s wife says hi 

The hosts on a podcast I listen to are both friends with Kingston and have had him on the show.  They were joking about needing to get to the bottom of this wife situation.

Solid hour of wrestling per usual, but not feeling that last angle at all. If Guevara is still to be involved in the TNT title scene, he should have retained a few weeks ago and fully gone heel (at least for the storyline, audience long ago decided that direction for his character). Meanwhile, Scorpio Sky ultimately remained on the dark side even though he seemed to be much more effective and over during this recent face tease (and a face run with TNT title could have helped get things back on track with that belt). While they likely had no choice but to take the title off Miro when they did given his injury situation at the time, it's definitely fallen in prestige since then and no longer feels special after a good 18 month or so initial run after its introduction. I strongly push back on the argument with the tag titles losing prestige (though FTR needs them ASAP), but the TNT title unfortunately feels very WWE'ized the last six months.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Big Z said:

Solid hour of wrestling per usual, but not feeling that last angle at all. If Guevara is still to be involved in the TNT title scene, he should have retained a few weeks ago and fully gone heel (at least for the storyline, audience long ago decided that direction for his character). Meanwhile, Scorpio Sky ultimately remained on the dark side even though he seemed to be much more effective and over during this recent face tease (and a face run with TNT title could have helped get things back on track with that belt). While they likely had no choice but to take the title off Miro when they did given his injury situation at the time, it's definitely fallen in prestige since then and no longer feels special after a good 18 month or so initial run after its introduction. I strongly push back on the argument with the tag titles losing prestige (though FTR needs them ASAP), but the TNT title unfortunately feels very WWE'ized the last six months.

All of this. Been a right royal mess the TNT Championship since Miro wrongly dropped the belt to Sammy Guevara instead of Eddie Kingston at All Out 2021 but better still at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite 2021. A secondary championship that actually meant something.

Edited by The Natural

I'm not too fussed about the angle itself, but I like that they're willing to lean into this being a heel vs heel feud. In real sports, sometimes dickheads compete with each other over prestigious titles, look at Manchester United vs Chelsea, or about 65% of all UFC fights.

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All Champions should be tweeners anyway. The idea that only babyfaces get to challenge heel champions, and only heels can challenge face champions, is pretty stupid. The number one contender shouldn't have to turn  to get the title match.

• Like 3

Gunn Club and The Acclaimed were trying their best to be overjoyed about an Elevation match. Seems like they are NOT going to be just a DX-ripoff, huh?

Nese vs Hook and their partners will end badly, for someone!

That was the strongest I've seen Spears look, in more ways than one!

Riho vs Ruby could have gone either way. I had no idea who was going to advance!

Statlander was a good replacement. I'd think she'd beat Velvet, unless there will be interference by the other baddies!

Main event was very solid. That slingshot into a cutter (landing head, not face, first). Also, we found out that Scorpio is a dick, afterall! Well, Sammy's a bigger one, so I don't know who will get cheered, if they will meet again for the title?

Death Triangle looked very good, as did their opponents, but c'mon, House of Black needs to wrestle more often!

Yeah, good show!

• Like 3