DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 5/13/2022

Rampage is on tonight!  Four matches and some interview segments crammed into an hour, entrances be damned!

Scorpio vs Kaz: SCU EXPLODES!  What funky angle comes of this?  Does ATT turn on Scorpio?  Does ATT screw Kaz without Scorp noticing it?  Do Sammy and Tay get involved?

Butcher, Blade, and rotating third man this week get to do job duty against Death Triangle.

Owen Hart Cup: Ruby vs Riho.  Does Riho win because she's awesome or does Ruby still have some of that New Toy magic?

Shawn Spears gets to shine up against a big guy before facing Wardlow as he gets a quick win over Bigger Bear.

Jade Cargill and the Baddies Town Hall!  Have I mentioned that Jade's delivery in her intro is worse than Hulk's in No Holds Barred?

Was this taped after Dynamite?  Do we get another hour of that shithead in the white shirt joylessly holding signs instead of loving wrestling?  Again, fuck that guy! 

• Like 3

This is the sort of card that really shows the depth of the roster. Scorpio vs Kaz has history, has been built for weeks in the background, plays upon Kaz web-record. You have two matches to build up guys (Spears and Death Triangle) who haven't really had a chance to get built up either due to the size of the roster or injuries since they have big matches up coming either on the road to the PPV or at the PPV. And a fresh match in Ruby vs Riho that should get some time as part of the workrate heavy tournament. I don't think any of these matches are necessarily anything we would have thought up a month ago but they all fit into the bigger picture of what's going on and work for a time-shifted show which will get less eyes but that is building towards a PPV.

• Like 12

I'm wondering if this continues what seems to be a developing theme of "good show/bad show". I mean they never put out a full stinker, but it feels like there will be either a good Dynamite and a lesser Rampage or vice versa. We had a REAL good Dynamite this time around, so...?

A credit to them on the Scorpio push, I'm surprisingly into the TNT title match on this show. It's not a huge match, but it's got two very competent vets, history as Matt pointed out, and the possibility of the weird Sammy/Tay stuff bleeding into it. Maybe an ideal major B-show main event. 

Something with Sammy vs Scorpio in SoCal in a few weeks will probably get some nuclear audience buy-in. 

• Like 4

Awesome!  We're starting right in.  Oh man, the Butcher has become so awesome.  Marq Quinn might be joining Dante Martin in the young guys to go head to head with the master, Rey Fenix.  I dig that.  You could have a whole subdivision of AEW with Darby Allin, Rey Fenix, PAC and Sammy Guevara at the top and have Dante Martin, Marq Quinn, Isiah Kassidy, Fuego del Sol, steal Speedball Mike Bailey... well, you know.  This match is fucking great.  Quinn is fucking spectacular. What a fucking finish.  OH NO! THE LIGHTS ARE OUT! HOUSE OF BLACK~!  OH NO! THE LIGHTS ARE OUT AGAIN!  SABU! Oh.  I can't wait to rewatch that tomorrow morning.   Why are they wasting time with an entrance for Shawn Spears?  YOU HAVE TO CRAM MORE WRESTLING IN!  Spears is like Brandon Cutler, QT Marshall and Fuego del Sol and is built to make Wardlow look good.  Here, they have to try to get him over as someone who would have some kind of chance against Wardlow.  Good luck with that, guys.  Smart Mark Sterling is so great.  AWESOME! RIHO IS STARTING EVIL!  SHE HATES THE PUNK ROCK MUSIC!  Ruby Soho got the Toni Storm New Stiffness memo.  Soho sells the knee.  This match is great. It's cool that Soho wrestles someone whom she is so much larger than.  Man, Riho is fucking great.  Soho hits a SWEET BACKDROP DRIVER!  Oh man, THESE TWO should wrestle 700 times.  That was fucking great.  TEAM ASS being excited about getting a match on Elevation is solid gold.   The Baddies Combat Club!  Settle down, Hollywood DEANetico. Kris Statlander is a good replacement.  I guess Shida is still hanging around in Japan.  Sammy and Tay are such superstars.  Awesome Tope Con Hilo by Scorpio Sky.  It cool to actually THINK about Frankie Kazarian again.  He's so good.  He is in the Dustin Rhodes, Christian Cage, CM Punk, Matt Sydel faction of the AEW roster.  They are the US version of the Ceolacanths in GLEAT.  They should organize into an actual stable.   Nice counter to the TKO.  Kazarian is fucking great in this.  NICE DIAMOND CUTTER by Kazarian.  Great run-in nearfall!  AWESOME!  The Arn Anderson kicking Kevin Sullivan moment for Scorpio Skye!  Then they make the heat all weird by having Sammy hit the ring to save Kazarian?  I don't know what they are doing, but I back their play 100%.  Great wad of wrestling.  Ruby Soho vs Riho was the surprise great match of the week.  AEW RULES THE WORLD!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Austin Gunn stole the show today. 

Riho covering her ears and shaking her head in response to Rancid and Smart Mark hobbling around wearing a neck brace also got legit, loud, lols outa me.

Speaking of great songs Tony K has given his wrestlers... How about this one, for Statlander:

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ruby/Riho was great. Love both so I was down with either one winning and whoever won would be who I am backing to win it all. Riho's crucifix counter to the blade runner was the best. Only wish they could've had even more time. Sad that nothing interesting came out of the various avenues that they could've gone with Sky/Kazarian. 

• Like 4

The six man didn’t really click for me. The Lucha Brothers just do not have much chemistry with Butcher and Blade. I liked Quen screeching to alert the ref his feet were on the ropes.

Spears/Boulder was a perfectly good match to build Spears for Wardlow. 

Meet Evil Riho; it’s just Riho but she hates 90s punk. This is Ruby’s best AEW match. They were a bit tentative early on, but by the time they were in deep water they were both in the zone. Devastatingly awesome final sequence. 

I can’t wait for The Acclaimed to steal The Gunn Club’s dad. 

Stat!

I respect Sky and Kaz more than I actually enjoy watching them most of the time, but that was a hell of a match. Two technicians telling a well-paced, physical story. Perfect amount of fuckery and an effective swerve too. Kind of wish Sky had turned face and Sammy/Tay had joined up with Lambert.

I love Rampage so much. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 6

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

There's two thoughts to this Hikaru Shida tweet.

1) If it's a work, it's pretty bad optics to do this during Asian-American/Pacific Islander Heritage Month (as the commercials with Tony Khan hyping how much he loves putting AAPI talent on TV state).

2) If it's not a work... it's pretty bad optics to remove her from the tournament without filling her in on what's going on.

It feels like it’s leading to a Shida and Friends versus Jade and the Baddies match on the Buy-In or something. I mean, Maki Itoh and Miyu Yamashita will be in the States pretty soon, if not by DoN.

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 1

I’m just going to be blunt: Penta fucking sucked in that match. It wasn’t a good match in general but lord the only spots Penta hit were his taunt.

I FFWD through Spears-Boulder.

Soho-Riho was mostly there until the last 3 minutes. Riho is a fantastic wrestler but she really can’t do facial expressions other than happy. She did wrestle the heel part of the match incredibly well, made Ruby’s finisher look like a million bucks.

Kaz-Scorp was a really great match. Post-match was really not.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I’m just going to be blunt: Penta fucking sucked in that match. It wasn’t a good match in general but lord the only spots Penta hit were his taunt.

I'm sorry, Mr Lowe, but Penta is awesome.  He is all about getting the crowd into the match like a big. over luchadore knows how to do.

• Thanks 1

Shida has had 4 matches in Japan, and apparently one of them went the full sixty minutes. Plus another 45 minutes after that.

I think the Ruby vs Riho match might have been Ruby's best match ever. Although when they came back from the mini-break after the PinP they did a "here's what you missed" and it didn't seem like those two moves would have been hit in that break without any connective tissue, say perhaps there's a Kingston cut of it which is longer and even better.

24 minutes ago, Casey said:

It feels like it’s leading to a Shida and Friends versus Jade and the Baddies match on the Buy-In or something. I mean, Maki Itoh and Miyu Yamashita will be in the States pretty soon, if not by DoN.

Itoh and Yamashita working in Oregon the night before, if I remember correctly. Like I said, though, it's still a strange thing to use "Japanese wrestling means nothing to them" as a talking point considering the lip service they've been doing this month.

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

Shida has had 4 matches in Japan, and apparently one of them went the full sixty minutes. Plus another 45 minutes after that.

The "hour and 45 minute match" was a comedy match. I actually just watched that show yesterday! It was the opening match where they brawled to the back with the match still going, but since there was no countout rule, the show continued on. They came back halfway through the show and brawled to the back again. Then, after the main event concluded, they came back AGAIN and finished their match.

I loved it, personally.

I’m not sure I want to see Red Velvet vs Shida more than Red Velvet vs Stat but I definitely want to see Skye Blue vs Shida. Maybe that can happen next eliminator tournament since there’s a tournament every few months? 

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I'm sorry, Mr Lowe, but Penta is awesome.  He is all about getting the crowd into the match like a big. over luchadore knows how to do.

I know I struggle to get him, even though I’ve watched a decent amount of lucha,  but in this case he was visibly off on every spot in the finishing segment.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I'm stuck between these two camps. I need to see Penta in twenty years. I know he's gonna be fat, I know he's gonna blade in most matches, maybe he won't have his mask, maybe the only bumps he'll take are big ones. Maybe I'm just waiting for that Penta.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Austin Gunn stole the show today. 

Riho covering her ears and shaking her head in response to Rancid and Smart Mark hobbling around wearing a neck brace also got legit, loud, lols outa me.

Speaking of great songs Tony K has given his wrestlers... How about this one, for Statlander:

Maximum The Hormone? Fuck yeah!

• Like 2