DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live TV Event Discussion Thread, Spring/Summer 2022

Elsalvajeloco

FZ_y-FiVQAAhKAo.jpg?1660406172

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 67: Gane vs. Tuivasa 
September 3, 2022
Paris, France (Accor Arena)

Ciryl Gane (247) vs. Tai Tuivasa (266) - Gane, KO (punches), R3 (4:23)
Robert Whittaker (186) vs. Marvin Vettori (186) - Whittaker, DEC (unanimous)
Nassourdine Imavov (186) vs. Joaquin Buckley (186) - Imavov, DEC (unanimous)
Alessio Di Chirico vs. Roman Kopylov (186) - Kopylov, KO (punches), R3 (1:09)
William Gomis (146) vs. Jarno Errens (146) - Gomis, DEC (majority)
Charles Jourdain (145.5) vs. Nathaniel Wood (146) - Wood, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Abus Magomedov (186) vs. Dustin Stoltzfus (186) - Magomedov, TKO (strikes), R1 (0:19)
John Makdessi (155) vs. Nasrat Haqparast (154.5) - Haqparast, DEC (unanimous)
Farès Ziam (156) vs. Michal Figlak (156) - Ziam, DEC (unanimous)
Benoît Saint-Denis (156) vs. Gabriel Miranda (155.5) - Saint-Denis, TKO (punches), R2 (0:16)
Khalid Taha (135) vs. Cristian Quiñónez (136) - Quiñónez, TKO (punches), R1 (3:15)
Stephanie Egger (145) vs. Ailin Perez (144.5)- Egger, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (4:54)

Attendance: 15,406
Gate: $3.4 million

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Benoît Saint-Denis
Performance of the Night: Abus Magomedov
Fight of the Night: Ciryl Gane vs. Tai Tuivasa

2 hours ago, Execproducer said:

It certainly didn't change the inevitable outcome. Nor was it particularly dirty. Stuff happens in that situation.

Also, if your opponent turns around of his own volition, you're allow to land a cuffing blow. The side of the head is fair game. Now if the opponent is turned completely around, you basically have to reach all the way around to punch or kick them (see the Anthony Njokuani head kick on Horodecki). However, in this case, it's a judgement call on the referee. If someone reacts to a blow and reactively turns at an angle, unless the next blow is something super egregious, the referee is always is going to side on the legal side. Boxing is a bit different because the corners in boxing are always aggressive in calling out rabbit punching (whether it's the case or not) and confronting the referee between rounds. That's a trick as old as the sport. Plus, in boxing, there are always referees who get involved in damn near everything. Historically, MMA officiating has never been like that. You get some MMA referees that make their presence known of course, but never to the point where it's every single round of a fight.

So yeah, if you expect a MMA referee to rule in favor of the affected fighter in the case of a cuffing blow, I don't know what to tell you.

12 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Also, if your opponent turns around of his own volition, you're allow to land a cuffing blow. The side of the head is fair game. Now if the opponent is turned completely around, you basically have to reach all the way around to punch or kick them (see the Anthony Njokuani head kick on Horodecki). However, in this case, it's a judgement call on the referee. If someone reacts to a blow and reactively turns at an angle, unless the next blow is something super egregious, the referee is always is going to side on the legal side. Boxing is a bit different because the corners in boxing are always aggressive in calling out rabbit punching (whether it's the case or not) and confronting the referee between rounds. That's a trick as old as the sport. Plus, in boxing, there are always referees who get involved in damn near everything. Historically, MMA officiating has never been like that. You get some MMA referees that make their presence known of course, but never to the point where it's every single round of a fight.

So yeah, if you expect a MMA referee to rule in favor of the affected fighter in the case of a cuffing blow, I don't know what to tell you.

I think I merely noticed that the second to last blow was a downward hammer fist to the back of the head. Did it make a difference? Probably not. Should it overturn the decision? I’m just disappointed we didn’t get another shoey.

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

I think I merely noticed that the second to last blow was a downward hammer fist to the back of the head. Did it make a difference? Probably not. Should it overturn the decision? I’m just disappointed we didn’t get another shoey.

If you look closer, it was actually more to the side of the neck. It was like he hit him with the preposterous 70s action film karate chop. Whoever Gane's sensei is should be proud.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

If you look closer, it was actually more to the side of the neck. It was like he hit him with the preposterous 70s action film karate chop. Whoever Gane's sensei is should be proud.

Oh shit! Instant knockout blow! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jaedmc said:

It was such a quiet performance but Robert Whittaker didn't look bothered by Marvin Vettori in the slightest. Just nullified his whole game.

I think Whittaker is an ATG middleweight (or very close to it), but the problem is he won't ever get that love with his performances against Israel.

Nate Marquardt made a career out of being 2a or 2b with Okami (Rich Franklin for a short while as well), but those two got to do that when the division was super weak with a bunch of solid, but unspectacular journeymen. Jason MacDonald was a solid Canadian regional MMA journeyman, but ain't nowhere near close to guys like Cannonier, Hermansson, Borrachinha, Brunson, and Vettori. Another Canadian journeyman Joe Doerksen was out here putting together wins. Hell, Gerald Meerschaert would look like Jesus in that era of middleweights. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

FcDlcCqXwAIE3IZ.jpg?1662557534

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 68: Sandhagen vs. Song 
September 17, 2022
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Cory Sandhagen (135.5) vs. Yadong Song (135.5) - Sandhagen, TKO (doctor stoppage), R4 (5:00)
Chidi Njokuani (185.5) vs. Gregory Rodrigues (185.5) - Rodrigues, TKO (punches), R2 (1:27)
Andre Fili (145.5) vs. Bill Algeo (146) - Fili, DEC (split)
Joseph Pyfer (185)vs. Alen Amedovski (185.5) - Pyfer, TKO (punches), R1 (3:55)
Tanner Boser (229) vs. Rodrigo Nascimento (261) - Nascimennto, DEC (split)
Anthony Hernandez (185.5) vs. Marc-André Barriault (185) - Hernandez, SUB (arm triangle choke), R3 (1:53)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Damon Jackson (145.5) vs. Pat Sabatini (145.5) - Jackson, TKO (punches), R1 (1:09)
Trevin Giles (170) vs. Louis Cosce (170.5) - Giles, DEC (unanimous)
Denise Gomes (115) vs. Loma Lookboonmee (115.5) - Lookboonmee, DEC (unanimous)
Trey Ogden (156) vs. Daniel Zellhuber (155) - Ogden, DEC (unanimous)
Mariya Agapova (125.5) vs. Gillian Robertson (125) - Robertson, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:19)
Tony Gravely (135.5) vs. Javid Basharat (135.5) - Basharat, DEC (unanimous)
Nikolas Motta (155) vs. Cameron VanCamp (155.5) - Motta, TKO (punches), R1 (3:49)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Damon Jackson
Performance of the Night: Joseph Pyfer
Fight of the Night: Chidi Njokuani vs. Gregory Rodrigues

Damn scrapped over two pounds. This is the third time this fight's been cancelled, each time for a different reason (injury, covid, weight miss) That sucks. Aspen's been one of my favorites since her pro debut fight with Invicta so I hate to see this keep happening with her.