DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live TV Event Discussion Thread, Spring/Summer 2022

Elsalvajeloco

Wild night of fights with all sorts of different kinds of finishes, very enjoyable show overall.

Penne/Ducote was awesome as a big fan of both. Ducote got to look killer in a victorious debut while Penne still came off super tough for lasting to the end and still looking good. Look forward to more from both.

Thought Stoltzfus and Algeo both looked good and stood out in their post-fight interviews. Awesome running spinebuster from Stoltzfus and a similar one later from Simon.

Impressive finishes from Ricky Simon & Soriano. 

Great performance from Lauren Murphy, another fighter I've always liked since her Invicta days. She was on a run before her title fight and looked strong here, I'm down with her making her way back to the title fight.

Schnell/Muderaji was insane. Epic KO from Jingliang. Tough losses for Waterson and especially Ortega in the main.

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 2

FXqCvLMVUAAoqvY.jpg?1657843572

UFC Fight Night on ESPN+ 66: Blaydes vs. Aspinall
July 23, 2022
London, England, United Kingdom (The O2 Arena)

Curtis Blaydes (260) vs. Tom Aspinall (251) - Blaydes, TKO (injury), R1 (0:15)
Jack Hermansson (186) vs. Chris Curtis (186) - Hermansson, DEC (unanimous)
Paddy Pimblett (156) vs. Jordan Leavitt (155) - Pimblett, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:46)
Nikita Krylov (204) vs. Alexander Gustafsson (205) - Krylov, KO (punches), R1 (1:07)
Molly McCann (125.5) vs. Hannah Goldy (125) - McCann, TKO (strikes), R1 (3:52)
Paul Craig (206) vs. Volkan Oezdemir (205.5) - Oezdemir, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Mason Jones (155.5) vs. L'udovit Klein (155) - Klein, DEC (unanimous)
Marc Diakiese (156) vs. Damir Hadžović (156) - Diakiese, DEC (unanimous)
Nathaniel Wood (145.5) vs. Charles Rosa (145) - Wood, DEC (unanimous)
Makwan Amirkhani (145.5) vs. Jonathan Pearce (145) - Pearce, TKO (punches), R2 (4:10)
Muhammad Mokaev (126) vs. Charles Johnson (125.5) - Mokaev, DEC (unanimous)
Jai Herbert (155) vs. Kyle Nelson (155) - Herbert, DEC (unanimous)
Victoria Leonardo (125.5) vs. Mandy Böhm (125) - Leonardo, DEC (unanimous)
Cláudio Silva (170.5) vs. Nicolas Dalby (170) - Dalby, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Jonathan Pearce
Performance of the Night: Nikita Krylov
Performance of the Night: Molly McCann
Performance of the Night: Paddy Pimblett

Attendance: 17,813
Gate: $4.32 million

Lots of decisions so far. That last England show spoiled us.

Sorry to my UK brothers and sisters - gotta rep my guy Curtis Blaydes. But I'll root for Molly McCann with y'all.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Gus just got absolutely destroyed.

Poor Darren Till.

edit: I can't even remember who Darren was supposed to fight.

• Sad 1

Just now, jaedmc said:

I want Paddy Pimblett and Molly McCann to win for years and years.

I wonder how long they're going to get the UK boxing prospect treatment though where they only fight (as people term it) "domestic level" opponents. It's totally unique that the UFC has two superstars like this regionally but they're far down the card. I remember ten or so years when the UFC struggled to create stars in the UK and Ireland. I mean Conor happened, but I could see that coming. At some point, you have to fight higher level opposition and probably sooner rather than later.

17 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I wonder how long they're going to get the UK boxing prospect treatment though where they only fight (as people term it) "domestic level" opponents. It's totally unique that the UFC has two superstars like this regionally but they're far down the card. I remember ten or so years when the UFC struggled to create stars in the UK and Ireland. I mean Conor happened, but I could see that coming. At some point, you have to fight higher level opposition and probably sooner rather than later.

The bad news for Paddy is he's fighting at Lightweight. As fun as he's been - that shit gets real real fast in that division. I haven't seen enough from him to convince me he can hang yet, particularly with the strikers.

McCann could probably start testing the waters of the Top 15. There are some tough gals, but I think she'd have a chance.

• Like 2

Did Aspinall tweak his leg entering the cage?

Edit:

just watched his entrance again, I think it was just the way he was bouncing made me think he was trying to work something out.

Absolute shame. I think this was going to be a fun fight and the few seconds we got looked to bear that out. Feel for Aspinall.

Also... watching them transition him from the cage to the gurney - you'd think they'd have a better way considering the probability of fucking up your legs in an mma fight.

Meltzer:

• Regarding Google searches this past week, yesterday's UFC show had 250,000 searches which is more than usual for a Fight Night, but Paddy Pimblett is clearly a big star as he had 200,000 of those searches related to him. He cut a strong promo after his fight among a friend who had committed suicide. It's always worth noting that there are suicide hotlines if you are feeling depressed and that people do care.

• 2 weeks later...

FYcAC0vUYAML3s9.jpg?1658674869
UFC Fight Night on ESPN 40: Santos vs. Hill 
August 6, 2022
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Thiago Santos (206)vs. Jamahal Hill (205) - Hill, TKO (punches), R4 (2:31)
Vicente Luque (170) vs. Geoff Neal (171) - Luque, KO (punch), R3 (2:01)
TUF 30 Heavyweight Tournament Final: Zac Pauga (239) vs. Mohammad Usman (236.5) - Usman, KO (punches), R2 (0:36)
TUF 30 Women's Flyweight Tournament Final: Brogan Walker-Sanchez (125.5) vs. Juliana Miller (125) - Miller, TKO (punches), R3 (3:57)
Augusto Sakai (260) vs. Sergey Spivak (249.5) - Spivak, TKO (punches), R2 (3:42)
Terrance McKinney (155.5) vs. Erick Gonzalez (155) - McKinney, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (2:17)

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Sam Alvey (187)* vs. Michał Oleksiejczuk (185.5) - Oleksiejczuk, TKO (punches), R1 (1:56)
Takashi Sato (170.5) vs. Bryan Battle (171) - Battle, KO (head kick), R1 (0:44)
Miranda Granger (115.5) vs. Cory McKenna (115.5) - McKenna, SUB (Von Flue choke), R2 (1:03)
Mayra Bueno Silva (135.5) vs. Stephanie Egger (134.5) - Silva, SUB (armbar), R1 (1:17) 

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Bryan Battle
Performance of the Night: Mohammad Usman
Performance of the Night: Geoff Neal
Fight of the Night: Thiago Santos vs. Jamahal Hill

Rating: 734,000 viewers