DVDVR Message Board

MMA Live TV Event Discussion Thread, Spring/Summer 2022

Elsalvajeloco

Big fan of every fight I've seen of Rakhkmonov. Magny definitely made him work for it but he still looked damn impressive.

Rakhmonov vs. Khamzat is gonna be a fun fight one day.

• Like 2

Poor Tsarukyan looked absolutely crestfallen after the decision was read. To be honest, Gamrot probably did just enough late to steal some close rounds. Gamrot looked like a guy who had been 5 rounds before (apparenty, he was 3-0 in five round fights going into this one). Tsarukyan looked like a guy who was probably wishing it was only 3 rounds.

Yeah that felt like Gamrot stole the last three rounds, but man that was the kind of fight where the result doesn't really hurt either guy. It's clear both dudes are not a good matchup for anyone ahead of them.

Tsurukyan is only 25 and that's what he can do now, so hopefully he mentally bounces back from this and keeps crushing it. That pace was incredible and exhausting. Nothing to be ashamed of.

• Like 1

I thought the fight should have went to Tsurukyan, Even if both guys had won 2 rounds  I didn't think Gamrot did enough  to win round 5, and all judges saying he did? 

Both guys have incredible cardio but I totally feel for Tsurukyan as I feel he was robbed. 

• 2 weeks later...

8uO63yC9.jpg?1656462728

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 39: Dos Anjos vs. Fiziev
July 9, 2022
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Rafael dos Anjos (156) vs. Rafael Fiziev (155) - Fiziev, TKO (punches), R5 (0:18)
Caio Borralho (185.5) vs. Armen Petrosyan (185.5) - Borralho, DEC (unanimous)
Said Nurmagomedov (135.5) vs. Douglas Silva de Andrade (135.5) - Nurmagomedov, DEC (unanimous)
Jared Vanderaa (263.5) vs. Chase Sherman (253) - Sherman, TKO (punches), R3 (3:10)
Aiemann Zahabi (135.5) vs. Ricky Turcios (135.5) - Zahabi, DEC (unanimous)
Michael Johnson (155.5) vs. Jamie Mullarkey (155.5) - Mullarkey, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN2 / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Cody Brundage (185.5) vs. Tresean Gore (185.5) - Brundage, KO (punches), R1 (3:50) 
Antonina Shevchenko (124.5) vs. Cortney Casey (126) - Shevchenko, DEC (split)
David Onama (145.5) vs. Garrett Armfield (145) - Onama, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (3:13)
Kennedy Nzechukwu (205) vs. Karl Roberson (202.5) - Nzechukwu, TKO (elbows), R3 (2:19)
Ronnie Lawrence (135.5) vs. Saidyokub Kakhramonov (136) - Kakhramonov, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Chase Sherman
Performance of the Night: Rafael Fiziev
Fight of the Night: Michael Johnson vs. Jamie Mullarkey

Rating: 762,000 viewers

UFC announces the following updates to UFC Fight Night: Dos Anjos vs Fiziev

Due to illness, Nina Nunes has been removed from her flyweight bout with Cynthia Calvillo. As a result, this bout has been cancelled from today’s card. 

I'm noticing we're seeing a rash of day before or day of card removals because of illness and people somehow being injured.

• Sad 1

After 4 rounds of RDA trying to take Fiziev down, Fiziev's coach starts his fifth round pep talk with:

"Listen...He's going to try and take you down."

Apparently this was great insight because Fiziev finished that shit shortly after.

• Like 1

FW5ongfWIAATKyK.jpg?1657030296

UFC on ABC 3: Ortega vs. Rodriguez
July 16, 2022
Long Island, NY (UBS Arena)

Brian Ortega (146) vs. Yair Rodriguez (145.4) - Rodriguez, TKO (injury), R1 (4:11)
Michelle Waterson-Gomez (115) vs. Amanda Lemos (116) - Lemos, SUB (guillotine choke), R2 (1:48)
Jingliang Li (170.6) vs. Muslim Salikhov (170.8) - Li, TKO (punches), R2 (4:38)
Matt Schnell (126) vs. Su Mudaerji (125.8) - Schnell, SUB (triangle choke), R2 (4:24)
Shane Burgos (145.8) vs. Charles Jourdain (145.6) - Burgos, DEC (majority)
Lauren Murphy (125.2) vs. Miesha Tate (125.8) - Murphy, DEC (unanimous)

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Dalcha Lungiambula (185.6) vs. Punahele Soriano (185.6) - Soriano, KO (punches), R2 (0:28)
Ricky Simón (135.6) vs. Jack Shore (136) - Simón, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (3:28)
Bill Algeo (146) vs. Herbert Burns (145.4) - Algeo, TKO (referee stoppage), R2 (1:50)
Dustin Jacoby (205) vs. Da Un Jung (205.6) - Jacoby, KO (punch), R1 (3:13)
Dwight Grant (184.4)vs. Dustin Stoltzfus (185.6) - Stoltzfus, DEC (unanimous)
Jessica Penne (115.8) vs. Emily Ducote (115.6) - Ducote, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Dustin Jacoby
Performance of the Night: Bill Algeo
Performance of the Night: Ricky Simón
Performance of the Night: Punahele Soriano
Performance of the Night: Jingliang Li
Performance of the Night: Amanda Lemos
Fight of the Night: Matt Schnell vs. Su Mudaerji 

Attendance: 16,979
Gate: $2.11 million
Rating: 951,000 viewers

• Like 1

Penne/Ducote is a tough one to pick. Both are favs of mine. Penne's looked great since her comeback so I wanna see her continue while Ducote was so killer through her Invicta run that I wanna see her have a successful UFC run. 

sucks to lose Zabit, for sure.

if Yair is sad that the Zabit fight will never happen, maybe he shouldn't have pulled out the two times the fight was scheduled. however, i also mourn that we won't get to see this.

Really like Jourdain's response to being told he was down 2-0 going into the third. That's definitely what you want to see from a fighter. Tough loss, but I think stock went up for him regardless.

Just caught up and watched the ABC card...man Schnell vs. Su Mudaerji was bananas.  The flyweight division needs more fights like that.

I don't like Miesha Tate talking about a title shot against Valentina when she hadn't accomplished anything at 125. She comes in and has basically nothing for Lauren Murphy. Like nothing at all. She got busted up bad too. That's not a good omen for what you can do at 125. 

Jingliang Li is the keeper of all the gates at 170. I've been waiting for Salikhov to run into someone who would finally just get in his face and be very aggressive. Salikhov fights at such a measured pace that it's hard for him to get out of first gear, thus, making some his fights tough to watch. Li was having none of that today.

Poor Herbert Burns. His cardio is just...subpar.  And it's not like the pace was insane or he was clearly overexerting himself. Credit to Algeo for taking advantage of it though.

I like Amanda Lemos and her ability to adjust to any situation. I think the Andrade fight was a little bit too much this early in her career. This was good bounce back win over someone durable. Nice, slick submission too.

Sucks the main event had to end the way it did (it's bittersweet cause it ended right before DVR cut off...show ran long I guess). It was shaping up to be a very fun fight too. Hopefully, Ortega can get back healthy soon and they can fight again down the line. I would also like to see Yair fight more so it would make sense for him to fight sometime in October/November.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't like Miesha Tate talking about a title shot against Valentina when she hadn't accomplished anything at 125. She comes in and has basically nothing for Lauren Murphy. Like nothing at all. She got busted up bad too. That's not a good omen for what you can do at 125. 

No joke. I mean I don't know nothing about nothing, but just watching it I was overwhelmed by the sense that none of Meisha Tate's offense looked dangerous or threatening - besides that one gnarly elbow in the clinch. She looked slow and lacking in power. Love the lady, but none of it looked good. If that was in the cage with Valentina.... yikes.

• Like 2