Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/11/2022


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

The thing to remember is that Orange Cassidy was a top-of-his-class CHIKARA superworker hiding in plain sight, while Danhausen is some guy. Like he can bump and sell and get through a match but at no point has he been considered anything remotely close to a workhorse.

I think it also probably helps that Orange Cassidy's whole thing is that he's a guy that is super talented, he's just lazy. So seeing him break out and do the things he does makes sense. Danhausen... doesn't really give off that impression. After all, the whole thing about the curses is that he believes strongly enough in his ability to curse others that others sell it, right? I don't really see where "hidden wrestling savant" would also play into it. He can be charming enough on his own (as evidenced by people buying his merch and being thrilled to see him just show up and do his thing) where he doesn't need the rest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

For anyone who didn't get the significance of Punk wearing the Tavares jersey and why it got nuclear heat here was his return to LI in 2019:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the issue some have with Danhausen's match isn't that he lost (he shouldn't win much) but that he basically got squashed by a relatively unover low carder in 20 seconds. I don't think it is the kiss of death or anything overly dramatic like that but the debut basically sets him up as the single "worst" wrestler the company has ever had which feels a bit much.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, username said:

I think the issue some have with Danhausen's match isn't that he lost (he shouldn't win much) but that he basically got squashed by a relatively unover low carder in 20 seconds. I don't think it is the kiss of death or anything overly dramatic like that but the debut basically sets him up as the single "worst" wrestler the company has ever had which feels a bit much.

100%. Just wanted to see him get to do a little bit more, being his first match after months of appearances. Didn't have to win, just expected more than 30 seconds and a couple moves to put him away just like that. And yeah against Nese, who was also actually in his first ever match on Dynamite too and his first non-Dark win. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, username said:

I think the issue some have with Danhausen's match isn't that he lost (he shouldn't win much) but that he basically got squashed by a relatively unover low carder in 20 seconds. I don't think it is the kiss of death or anything overly dramatic like that but the debut basically sets him up as the single "worst" wrestler the company has ever had which feels a bit much.

Yes, it was perfect. First time I enjoyed him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, JLowe said:

I'm fairly certain that exact same dude has been front row center with shitloads of bad signs on other shows.

I am choosing to believe this because the alternative, that there are multiple dumbasses cosplaying Hat Guy at AEW shows, is too depressing to contemplate.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, username said:

I think the issue some have with Danhausen's match isn't that he lost (he shouldn't win much) but that he basically got squashed by a relatively unover low carder in 20 seconds. I don't think it is the kiss of death or anything overly dramatic like that but the debut basically sets him up as the single "worst" wrestler the company has ever had which feels a bit much.

If I were a meme/photoshop person, I would make a tub of plain yogurt with abs and a beard and call it Tony Nese.

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Dax the Ax

Dax and Cash ... Ax and Smash ... IS THIS AN ACTUAL THING THAT IM JUST NOW GETTING?!

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, nate said:

Dax and Cash ... Ax and Smash ... IS THIS AN ACTUAL THING THAT IM JUST NOW GETTING?!

 

It's been a thing for a good while, yeah. FTR themselves acknowledged it on twitter not long after they adopted those names. Jericho even brought it up on TV during the Pinnacle vs Inner Circle feud. "Dax and Cash, Ax and Smash, Axl and Slash, which is it?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AxB said:

It's been a thing for a good while, yeah. FTR themselves acknowledged it on twitter not long after they adopted those names. Jericho even brought it up on TV during the Pinnacle vs Inner Circle feud. "Dax and Cash, Ax and Smash, Axl and Slash, which is it?"

I feel dumb.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Danhausen is great and Danhausen getting squashed is great. The purpose of the team is to communicate Danhausen as a great comic character, and Hook as a great force of power who can cover for the deficiencies of his partner. Win/win. For far too long the promotion had the issue of low carders going toe-to-toe with their opponents: it doesn't need to be that way. Squashes should be more prevalent. Hell, Masvidal beat Askren (undefeated at the time in 19 bouts) faster than Danhausen lost .. shit happens in combat-related events!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

they can always pivot from 3rd Degree Giorgio Moroder retread to 2nd Degree Rick Derringer retread when the former runs its course

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2022 at 2:40 AM, zendragon said:

May be a Twitter screenshot of 1 person and text that says 'Northwest Cee @CeeHawk Moxley ain't forget Eddie saved him from 004674% of fireworks 8:25 PM May 11, 2022 Twitter for iPhone'

Almost ironic that Mox was one save late for Eddie, as he was already burned the previous time, and when Eddie came to save Mox, it was the explosion that was late!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/12/2022 at 1:47 PM, John E. Dynamite said:

I was of the opinion that Toni Storm was mildly overrated and maybe not super-dedicated to the business anymore but thus far she's proven to be the biggest shot in the arm the AEW women's division has ever seen. Every match she's had has worked for me.  Way less timing/footwork/positioning issues some of the greener talent has been struggling with, she can competently promo, she's young and stunning and all that, seriously, the quality of women's matches on Dynamite seems to be way up over the last month and I think her presence is the most important piece. She keeps this up though the Owen Hart Tournament and I'm gonna advocate her being their top babyface.

I know it's late in the thread but I did meet Toni and a bunch of others signing for Celebfest.  I mentioned something similar to her which made her really happy to hear.  She doesn't strike me as somebody too into wrestling news so I felt that she didn't hear stuff like that much outside of the company.  Really sweet person and she was genuinely appreciative of the words.  Which is funny considering I never was super into her until her first couple matches in AEW.  Part of it is parroting what others say here but when realizing it's true it's hard not to agree.

As for the show it was fucking aces.  Regal doing Regal things made me leap out of my chair in excitement and I had a grand ol' time watching it all.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I know it's late in the thread but I did meet Toni and a bunch of others signing for Celebfest.  I mentioned something similar to her which made her really happy to hear.  She doesn't strike me as somebody too into wrestling news so I felt that she didn't hear stuff like that much outside of the company.  Really sweet person and she was genuinely appreciative of the words.  Which is funny considering I never was super into her until her first couple matches in AEW.  Part of it is parroting what others say here but when realizing it's true it's hard not to agree.

As for the show it was fucking aces.  Regal doing Regal things made me leap out of my chair in excitement and I had a grand ol' time watching it all.

Chuffed for you, my friend xxx.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...