DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/11/2022

10 minutes ago, porksweats said:

Credit given where credit due, Adam Cole was on fire tonight.

Beating The Virgin Bret Hart cosplayer with The Rock's sharpshooter was the most Chad move ever.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

Opener was great but still fuck Adam Cole, and the fact he’s going to win this thing leaves a sour taste in my mouth about the tournament.

CM Punk is old school like a territorial guy. He can be a baby face, and then go to a different town and be the heel. Either way, he’s going to make his opponent look like a million bucks. Didn’t expect this match buildup to be so heated.

Hookhausen made me not hate Hook. Danhausen’s intro is pretty good but leans a little too much into Munsters, instead of a cheesy spooky late night horror movie show theme.

MJF/Wardlow segment was gold. The video opener with Barry fucking Horowitz really set the tone. Whatever happens at Double or Nothing, this feud is just getting started. And boy howdy do I want to see Wardlow run Spears face across the cage.

Starks-Jungle Boy was very good, Starks is a star. Jungle Boy threw in a couple of new twists. Looking forward to where they go with Team Taz, JE, and StrickLee Business.

JAS segment: congrats for making me like 2.0. Once again, Jake Hager looks like a kid who went through a growth spurt but didn’t get new clothes. I’m personally a fan of BCC coming out, they can be on Kingston’s side as an anti-sports entertainment group without being their own faction. I think too many people were building up some outside guys coming in (and of course, that can still happen).

Storm-Hayter was sufficiently violent and hurty. I was somewhat expecting Hayter to go over and set up a showdown with Britt. And tangentiallyL they’re teasing Shida being replaced, since it’s against Red Velvet would it be Hirsch, or more likely Stat?

Hard to call the main event a match, it was a stunt show. The number of times I yelled “no, no, don’t” at the TV: 3. number of times they did it anyway:  2. Number of broken ribs from that match: several. That was a 12-foot-tall ladder. I get nervous with spots on the ring steps that aren’t the usual “throw into the side”. The spot with Darby diving over the steps and then Jeff hitting a sweet diving clothesline was the non-stunt spot of the match. Post-match is intriguing.

I thought Cole winning would ruin the whole show but the match quality and non-wrestling segments were too great. Just a little less PiP in the future, please.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I want to see Wardlow run Spears face across the cage.

Has anybody done anything like the Lashley/Umaga cage spot since then? I know AEW respects gimmick matches and the cage is supposed to lock two foes in the ring together but I would love to see Wardlow spear Spears right through that fucking thing (rather than the Lashley spot directly).

• Like 1

Just now, Jiji said:

Has anybody done anything like the Lashley/Umaga cage spot since then? I know AEW respects gimmick matches and the cage is supposed to lock two foes in the ring together but I would love to see Wardlow spear Spears right through that fucking thing (rather than the Lashley spot directly).

What kind of great twist would that be for Wardlow to lose by spearing Spears through the cage and losing because Spears touched the ground first.

Dax carried Adam Cole to a classic. That was awesome. Too bad Cole’s gonna shit up the whole tourney with his general shittiness.

Dug Punk/Silver. I’m not sure I’ve ever wanted anything more than I want Page to retain.

Im not usually a fan of long MJF promos, but every single second of that ruled ass. Wardlow is going to murder him. I hope Wardog no sells the whipping. Just stands there and takes it.

Storm/Hayter felt a bit hollow. They have a better one in them.

Ricky Starks & Jungle Boy could be the two biggest stars in this company within a year. I’ll say it again; imagine having these two guys on the payroll and still thinking Adam Cole needs to be on every week. Get these two on tv.

Allin/Hardy wasn’t my cup of tea. I was never a Hardy guy and Darby is the least compelling of the “four pillars” to me.

Oh yeah; Mox and King together is always awesome. I just hope after they stomp JAS into the dirt they get to go back and right that egregious wrong against the Jacksons….

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

If TK actually has Gargano as the Joker and runs a fucking Gargano/Cole final every good thing I've ever said about him as a booker is immediately discredited.

When is Roddy Strong's contract up? Someone from NJPW? Is Kenny healthy?

I know people have spoken about Cesaro but give me Miro.

ANYONE but Cole winning this.

• Like 3

Other notes other then absolute fucking dread over the Owen tournament now.

CM Punk with the Tavares jersey is fucking brilliant, even if Excalibur didn't understand it.

MJF basically being to Long Island as CM Punk is to Chicago is kind of funny to me. Just seems to fit.

No, but seriously, the bracket leads to Gargano/Joe, Gargano/O'Reilly, and Gargano/Cole and I fucking despise it, please don't do it to me TK, the 3 stages of hell is literally the worst fucking match of the last decade, never put them together DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT

I understand they want to pay forward the legacies, and to his credit Jeff has his best performance in a while tonight, but man, Darby should have won this tournament. Dude is the best wrestler in it, and it felt like when they opened with Punk/Darby that Darby was gonna be ready for the main events last year, and since then he's lost every single big match he's had (No, I don't count the Andrade blow off as a big match)

Eddie Kingston, William Regal, and Bryan Danielson being on the same side of anything means 3 of my top 10 wrestlers of all time are working together in one angle, and how can I dislike that?

Just say no to Johnny Gargano.

I don't really have a problem with Dawson taking a bump to pay homage to Bret, I do have a problem with an announcer talking about it. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

If TK actually has Gargano as the Joker and runs a fucking Gargano/Cole final every good thing I've ever said about him as a booker is immediately discredited.

33 minutes ago, just drew said:

Dax carried Adam Cole to a classic. That was awesome. Too bad Cole’s gonna shit up the whole tourney with his general shittiness.

27 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

When is Roddy Strong's contract up? Someone from NJPW? Is Kenny healthy?

I know people have spoken about Cesaro but give me Miro.

ANYONE but Cole winning this.

Yeah, I'm in the anybody but Adam Cole camp. Cole sucks. Hated the Cole/Gargano NXT 2019 Trilogy so a repeat of that, oof.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

I have to go way back in DVDVR's history, to a certain DEAN-reviewed match (the BJPW Barbed Wire and Bed of Nails match) and (butcher) a quote he made in that, because the main event deserved this ."It's Darby Allin and Jeff Hardy to determine who's the craziest motherfucker on the planet. SURPISE! It's a tie!"

• Like 7

As a hockey guy, I really wish commentary would have clued viewers in on the significance of Punk wearing a Tavares jersey on Long Island. That's a detail important enough for Punk to go over it with them pre-show or something.

Also, Barry Fucking Horowitz. 

• Like 4

FUCK that was a great show. Ricky Starks' Uriah Heep theme is as good as FTR's Giorgio Moroder, and him and Jungle Jack had the best match on the show until the AWESOME Hayter/Storm match. CM Punk proved he can still be a superdick. Jericho proved he can still be a superdick. TONY NESE made me want to kick his head in, and slimy MJF* did the same. This was a fantastic card and I didn't even mention Regal punching someone in the face. 

* That heat is something special. When else has a major heel got by on hometown love and been booed everywhere else? 

• Like 6

If willing things into existence is a thing, I'm gonna shoot my shot here: With the Christian-Jungle Boy unrest seemingly on the post-PPV horizon (can't wait~!), how about you give a the ideal heel a chance to go to finishing school against the Instant Classic:

Ricky Starks vs Christian Cage sometime in the next two weeks please. ?

• Like 6

2 hours ago, just drew said:

Im not usually a fan of long MJF promos, but every single second of that ruled ass. Wardlow is going to murder him. I hope Wardog no sells the whipping. Just stands there and takes it.

Yeah, I think they kind of have to go that route the way they're building Wardlow. They definitely can't do the Passion of the Cody thing with him. The biggest obstacle is that actually no-selling a guy as strong as MJF hitting you with a belt is pretty damn tough no matter how big you are, but if he can pull it off, it will rule. Also, it's a great sign for Wardlow's future prospects that he still got a big pop for his weekly attack on MJF's goons even though the crowd was very pro-MJF.

The men's joker should be Claudio or Miro. I thought the women's would be Mia Yim, but that seems less likely now. Maybe PVZ finally gets in the ring?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Post-show is well worth watching if you like certain guys:

The Punk on Long Island dynamic continuing to be milked is fun as heck. 

Random memory on Punk/Hook bit: Like I totally remember Alex Shelley doing that spot in matches in ROH and TNA. Like in ROH he backs up into Samoa Joe and he backs into him and it's like a Looney Tunes bit. But for all I know, that could be a classic bit that goes back decades.

Men’s joker will most likely be Miro, or someone from New Japan. Claudio and Gargano are less likely, I just don’t see it happening. The internet’s other prediction is Singh, and I want to believe TK has learned from his mistakes and won’t do that. Interference, sure. But as the joker? No way.

I’m putting all my money on the women’s joker to be Athena Palmer.