DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/11/2022

Contract signings are usually something that I find tedious and usually aren't the best parts of a show but I think MJF and Wardlow are going to be one of those exceptions where it produces an amazing segment especially in Long Island.

• Like 3

Most looking forward to CM Punk vs. John Silver.

Interested in Ricky Starks vs. Jungle Boy.

I'm going to be pissed if Adam Cole beats Dax Harwood. Cole has never done anything for me while Dax Harwood is a favourite of mine since 2016 with Cash Wheeler as TAFKA The Revival/#FTR.

• Like 2

OH GOOD ANOTHER JERICHO TOWN HALL/UNION ADDRESS/VICTORY SPEECH/TED X SEGMENT.

Okay, I won't do that anymore, just one last time because I would hate for the gimmick to get repetitive... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I got downvoted into oblivion on Wreddit for saying this, but I really hope Storm/Hayter are given way more time than any other match on the card. They could easily out shine everyone tonight, and this card has people like Punk, Dax, Cole (sorry not sorry), Darby, etc.  Also, I feel like I say/think something like this every week, but it's nuts we live in a time where fucking Danhausen is making his in-ring debut on the same card as Jeff Hardy and CM Punk, and on a national cable channel.

I love AEW.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 11

Hey!  I'm on time!  Adam Cole.  Dax Harwood.  I don't know who wins this one.  Prolly Adam Cole.  Adam Cole is over in Long Island.  Dax bumps big early.  It goes to 1977 during the picture in picture- as Cole does a Bow and Arrow and an Abdominal Stretch.  Cole cuts off Harwood and actually lays it in in the corner.  Dax is fucking awesome- going hard into the turnbuckle. Dax Harwood is over around Long Island.  Sweet Slingshot Powerbomb.  Cole can work.  Cole doing the Shawn Michaels call for the Sweet Chin Music is some DEEP story telling.  Cole being a disciple of Shawn Michaels wrestling like a Michaels disciple in a Hart family tournament is fucking awesome.  Dax with the Sharpshooter is also awesome.  Cole procuring the Sharpshooter is fucking AWESOME.  What a heel move.  So fucking great.  But was it a tribute to the Hart family or was Cole being a dick?  That's good wrestling.   CM Punk is all about the CHEAP HEAT!  John Silver is over upon Long Island.  This is true CM Punk match- methodical, selling, psychology- stuff you usually don't get in a Silver match, as Silver is fun guy to come off the apron and have a wild burst of energy.  Silver sells all through the picture in picture.  Silver is awesome on offense.  Nice Brainbuster!  Punk is GREAT covering for Silver flailing around for the Spinning DDT.  BUCKSHOT LARIAT!  This is the greatest Dynamite ever!  Punk is total heel.  So fucking great.  OMG! Danhausen is wrestling.  Well... sort of.  HOOKHAUSEN BEGINS!  The DARK SIDE OF THE RING thing was great.  MJF being overwhelmingly cheered in Long Island warms my heart.  This is great.  God, Wardlow beats the living shit out of security.  So that's why Mark Sterling wasn't suplexed to hell by Hook.  That was fun.    Sure that had the table that was meant to be broken but they should have gone all out and had the girl scouts bring out a cake for MJF and had the Long Island Chamber of Commerce award him a really big trophy. Ricky Starks and Jungle Boy- and I'm assuming that Jungle Boy gets this belt and Starks and Hobbs get the tag title.  Starks is the new William Regal in that he can carry a whole match with his facial expressions.  Starks with the BODY VICE!  Nice Lariat by JB. Nice MORTAL DDT- which I've never seen before.  This match is good as they counter and counter the Rochambeau.  Nice Spear by Starks.  Assorted quasi-fuckery and Ricky Starks hits the Rochambeau for the pin.  That was good.  OH NO!  They are going to make it a 3 way!  OH NO!  Well, it's not like I'm going to get the PPV unless FTR wrestles the Briscoes or Aussie Open. Go ahead,  Make it a 3-way.  I don't care.  AEW GALAXY!  Jericho is a WIZARD!  JERICHO CHANNELS CLUBBER LANG! AWESOME!  THE BLACKPOOL COMBAT CLUB!  JAS has to recruit the Ass Boys!  YES!  This got awesome.  Toni Storm seems kinda over amongst Long Island.  Jamie Hayter is more over, which is surprising.  I guess Long Island is primed to cheer heels this evening.  Hayter beats the hell out of Storm during picture in picture.  JESUS, that suplex to the outside is fucking GNARLEY.  They start beating the fudge out of each other.  They rush the finish and Storm goes over.  That was good if a little heatless.  Strange.  One can only wonder who will survive Darby Allin trying to kill himself.  Oh man, this watch is awesome. Greatest Tope in history.  I remember seeing Jeff Hardy take a running powerbomb through a table in the corner of the ring after they couldn;t get it to catch on fire.  It was the craziest thing I had ever seen.  It was in an armory in North Carolina in front of maybe 300 people.  Allin gets to top it on national TV, as he fucking dives off the ladder through Jeff Hardy through 8 chairs.   Swanton to the steel stairs!  WHOA!  Hardy with a roll up after taking a Coffin Drop for the win.  That was a quality wad of wrestling.  A little disappointed by the Storm/Hayter match but think I was expecting too much.  Everything else was fucking awesome.  AEW RULES THE WORLD!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Goddamn, that was good.  First episode of Dynamite in a while where it felt like they actually nailed the pacing and nothing was too rushed.

Barry Horowitz!

• Like 9

On a show full of good shit, Starks' facial expression and dragging himself to the ropes with his fingertips might have been the best shit.

Jungle Boy should steal the Eddie STF spot where he traps the arm that's going for the rope. That's a good spot.

• Like 9

Cole/Dax was one of those matches where the winner is a foregone conclusion but the other guy comes off so good and capable and gets in so many near falls you think that just maybe they'll pull off the win. Owen Hart and Shawn Michaels had a match like that for the world title on Raw one time and it's a favorite of mine.

Punk/Silver was good and Silver got to have a nice showing. Even though Punk looks to be taking the heel position in this program he's still more over.

I'm not sure how to feel about Neese/Danhausen. While the segment did what it needed to do and made Neese look credible and got the Hookhausen thing started in the whole "weird creepy kid and the asshole jock who would normally bully him find themselves in detention together and realize they actually have a lot in common" way, it seemed counterproductive to build Danhausen up only to have him squashed in his debut. I do wonder if his leg isn't 100% yet. He had an indy match a few weeks ago but didn't do a ton in it.

Normally I'm of the opinion that contract signings and such can fuck right off, but MJF's Dark Side of the Ring parody was gold. I don't really care about all these stips Wardlow has to go through, but this segment came off great.

Jungle Boy/Starks was fine. The FTW Title is like AEW's version of the Million Dollar Belt.

The JAS segment was blah and would rather they cut a few minutes off to give to the womens' match. BCC are supposed to be this serious business unit, yet they almost never all come out together, have a collective them song, etc. Do they save the 10 man tag for the next PPV?

Hayter/Storm was quality. I'd rather this have been the main event.

Darby/Hardy was clearly a dream match for Darby. I can't help but feel happy with the various wrestlers having matches they clearly campaigned for or had been aching to work one another and seeing how much they're enjoying their bouts. I'm really surprised that Hardy won. Cole going to the finals seems like a lock now, though I wonder if they give us a "can Jeff win the big one in the twilight of his career?" angle and have him go over.

• Like 5

Things I didn't like:
- Putting over Bret's turnbuckle bump on commentary like its an offensive maneuver and Dax aping it is the pinnacle of Bret Hart masturbatory tributes
- The BCC/Kingston return didn't sit well with me. Kingston returns after 2 weeks from a fireball, and is immediately maybe the 4th most important guy on his team after the focus is now on Regal punching Jericho/announcers hyping the Regal Jericho showdown next week. 
- Just because she's changed it slightly, the lowering sunglasses and peering out into the crowd taunt being spammed by Toni is reaching Penta-esque levels. Also kinda wanted Hayter to go over.
- Darby getting rolled up after hitting the Coffin Drop is becoming a pretty tired finish.

Everything else was fantastic. the Punk/Silver match was excellent - gave Silver the right amount, loved the rare time where using the other guys finish leads to a pin. The Wardlow/MJF segment was fantastic and sets things up very nicely from here. BARRY HORROWITZ. Great Jungle Boy/Starks match that again sets the table for endless possibilities with a heap of other guys involved. Some insane bumps in that main event. Glad they're putting some time into the AEW Womens' Title match as a big deal. 

• Like 6