DVDVR Message Board

RIP George Perez

Cliff Hanger

I am trying not to cry. I am trying to keep it together. I loved George Perez and every piece of work he ever put put. He was also a guy who genuinely appreciated his fans. After Kirby, Barks and Tezuka, I honestly think Perez was the BEST atist Superhero comics has ever seen!

https://natedsanders.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/jla-200-1.jpg

James

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, J.H. said:

I am trying not to cry. I am trying to keep it together. I loved George Perez and every piece of work he ever put put. He was also a guy who genuinely appreciated his fans. After Kirby, Barks and Tezuka, I honestly think Perez was the BEST atist Superhero comics has ever seen!

https://natedsanders.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/jla-200-1.jpg

James

He was easily the nicest pro I ever met. Charming and funny and he didn't remember my name (how could he? He met thousands of fans) but he recognized my cane, and every time I got to talk to him it was the highlight of my trip. Even if he hadn't been the best superhero artist of my lifetime this would be a shit day.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, J.H. said:

After Kirby, Barks and Tezuka, I honestly think Perez was the BEST atist Superhero comics has ever seen!

Sorry to distract from the Perez talk, but did Carl Barks ever do superhero comics? Because that sounds awesome.

7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Losing Neal Adams and George Perez this close together shouldn't be allowed.

3 hours ago, KidNatural said:

Losing two of the greatest comic book artists of all time just sucks... Perez was maybe the cleanest penciler of any era.

This. What a terrible year. Thank you, George Perez. Fuck cancer. Thoughts go out to Perez's family and friends at this difficult time xxx.

I said this before, but I've always been more of a writer-driven comic book fan. I don't have great visual imagery. I came up in the 90s where artists drove everything and it's sort of the narrative equivalent of growing up in the Depression and always being stingy for the rest of your life. There are artists I enjoy and appreciate, both old and new (Steranko, Sienkiewicz, Maguire, Adams, Del Mundo) but the only artist I ever specifically bought a comic for when I wasn't otherwise interested was Perez. He was that powerful a draw to me. He was one of the only artists, maybe literally the only one, who would make me stop and pause and examine the detail instead of just rush to the next word bubble. To me, he wasn't even the best. He was transcendent, so good that I read his comics different than I read comics drawn by any other artist.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Sorry to distract from the Perez talk, but did Carl Barks ever do superhero comics? Because that sounds awesome.

I probably should have qualified that a bit better. Kirby, Barks and Tezuka are, imo, the 3 most important creators in the comic book driven medium visually.

James