DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/4/2022

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Man, how do they deal with next week in Long Island? It's one thing to have Punk go out there and mock a hockey team but you don't want a crowd booing Wardlow at this point of the story. It's such a key moment in time for his push. They should have just kept him off the show. Had it so MJF didn't want him there to ruin his time or something.

I wonder what sort of payoffs you have for him in 2022. I can't see him fitting into the title picture but keeping him this hot for long is going to be hard as he's already run through some big guys. I don't think he's getting the World Title this year. You can give him the TNT title but then it sort of disappears relative to how they use it now. You don't want him trading it back and forth. He doesn't need it as much as other people do and he probably wouldn't build it to bigger than it is.

I'm not sure what I'd do medium term, maybe book him like Andre at MSG during the Backlund/Hogan runs where he's teaming with a bunch of guys as part of their feuds as a big attraction, or maybe just give him the FTW belt and have him treat it a little like a Brass Knuckles champion type thing, like he was babyface Brody in Houston or Southwest.

Some huge questions you raise. I've been thinking about this since he started on his killing spree. Going forth, seems like running thru a faction to get to its leader would be a bit too much like this MJF feud. I do like consulting your Andre/MSG/80s suggestion. What would Bill Watts do (minus the Patriotism)? Or what could we learn from the example of Taz being booked in ECW? Can we find a Bam Bam Bigelow? I'd be happy with JONAH. I guess that'd be another sorta example of running thru a faction. I like @JLowe's suggestion of a confrontation with Joe, but I don't see Wardy splintering off into their forthcoming new ROH.  Anyway, great questions. I suspect MJF heels on the Long Island crowd, but we shall see.   

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Didn't have a chance to post about it so won't read the thread yet.  But while the show might not have been the most stacked we had a really great time regardless.  Yeah, they lost us on the Pillman and Page promos and it was hard to get full energy for the main after Fenix/Dante.  But the opener was great and Fenix/Dante had us losing our goddamn minds.  And Morrissey looked really great so kudos to him for getting it together.  Fun match and Wardlow was insanely popular.  So even if it was a "weak" show I'll gladly take this any day over...well you know.   And I'll give love to the small Baltimore crowd as they were sold out and were super amped up for the good stuff.

But since I'm going to watch it back tonight with my wife I'll just let her know that we're gonna skip over the Pillman part and pretend it didn't exist.  For one it would make the show more enjoyable to watch and for another watching it back would allow me to be more invested in the main.  With Ramapage at 5:30 today it'll be pretty much AEW day which gets no complaints at all over here.

Also, @John E. Dynamiteby any chance were you in section 101?  I ask because during Rampage I heard somebody pulling for Yuka then they mentioned Takeshita wrestling a giant panda in DDT.  The second example in particular made me think "Hmm...I wonder".

EDIT:  Wait, wait, wait, I almost forgot about the BCC match.  I know they need meaningful matches soon but no way in fuck can a show be weak with those three crushing it.  I flipped my shit seeing them and there's nothing better than all three beating the fuck out of three fools at the end.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

In another universe that ROH Women's Title match gets treated like Buff vs Booker and ole TK scraps the entire idea of ROH lol.

But there are similarities there. While this isn't the first ROH match they've done, it's one of the first totally cold ones that had a person that has never once had a TV match for them (ala Buff & Booker in WWE). Gresham & Castle also fall in this category, but they have the benefit of way more TV & PPV exposure than these two women. No Impact doesn't count as TV exposure to me lol. Mercedes has done like two or three AEW TV matches in the last year but that is not enough to develop a relationship with the general TV audience. Not many in that crowd knew signature moves or popped because they knew her theme or anything like that.

Just real poor planning. Or maybe wishful thinking is the better way to word it. Baltimore was an ROH town. So maybe TK was banking on some recognition that just wasn't there.

I don't blame Tony for thinking that but the problem is expecting that people in Baltimore still cared about ROH.  Some did/still do but interest here has gone down quite a bit since they made here their home base.  If they wanted something with a bit more to it I think a Joe TV championship match would have been a much better idea.

But since we got this match I think it would have made more sense to have this as the Dynamite opener instead with Dante/Fenix main eventing as a dream match.  Considering they had some all-time classics start the show it would have worked and the crowd would have at least had a sense of energy to them.  But not only was it a bit cold with them in the main it was not long after Dante/Fenix where people were just spent after that match.  If for some reason Tony insisted on it being the main then put Riho/Yuka on Dynamite and start Rampage off with Lethal/Takeshita.

Oh, and as for Pillman it's time to keep him on YT forever but have Griff do singles matches.  I respect the legacy and everything but he just doesn't have it even if he was a heel.  All he needed was not even a minute to say something and the HoB comes out.  It also could have given Dante/Fenix more time to be shown as is and not in PiP which I would be upset about too.  If there was ever a time to consider their Fite subscription to go commercial-free that match would be it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

Man, how do they deal with next week in Long Island? It's one thing to have Punk go out there and mock a hockey team but you don't want a crowd booing Wardlow at this point of the story. It's such a key moment in time for his push. They should have just kept him off the show. Had it so MJF didn't want him there to ruin his time or something.

I wonder what sort of payoffs you have for him in 2022. I can't see him fitting into the title picture but keeping him this hot for long is going to be hard as he's already run through some big guys. I don't think he's getting the World Title this year. You can give him the TNT title but then it sort of disappears relative to how they use it now. You don't want him trading it back and forth. He doesn't need it as much as other people do and he probably wouldn't build it to bigger than it is.

I'm not sure what I'd do medium term, maybe book him like Andre at MSG during the Backlund/Hogan runs where he's teaming with a bunch of guys as part of their feuds as a big attraction, or maybe just give him the FTW belt and have him treat it a little like a Brass Knuckles champion type thing, like he was babyface Brody in Houston or Southwest.

I think next week you keep Wardlow backstage.

MJF can talk about how "these things always end in violence" and that he "wants to make sure Wardlow doesn't get hurt before Double or Nothing, so he's not gonna be competing until then."

MJF can lay out his stipulations, Wardlow agrees via big screen and Spears is given the contract to run backstage.

Wardlow then annihilates Spears, signs the contract and stares down the camera into MJFs soul.

Fantasy booking -

Spoiler

Wardlow wins and goes on to take the TNT title. Just go full Goldberg.

Over the next 12 months Punk takes the title from Hangman and MJF wins some sort of Multiman/Scramble match to get a title shot at Punk, which he wins.

Double or Nothing 2023 is Wardlow v MJF for the title with Wardlow going over, making him a double champ.

Run with Wardlow as THE guy for a few months before all the title defences add up. Defending the world title on Dynamite then backing up with the TNT title on Rampage takes a toll.

Finally he has to defend both belts at All Out 2023 and while he gets through his TNT title match to open the show he is clearly hurt.

Come the main event against say... BCCs Bryan Danielson, he gets picked apart, broken down, and beaten by one of the all time GOATs. No shame in that at all.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Hey @NikoBaltimorewas it jarring to see everyone come back to life after the Dynamite main? Because everyone seemed to be eating up the women's tag on Rampage. Was there an intermission or something? 

They did a couple Elevation matches but then said they were doing a match that is just for the crowd which was Nyla vs. Skye Blue.  I'm not sure if it messed up the timing or something but they said the last Elevation match they had would be done after Dynamite.  So after that ends we get Keith Lee and Swerve vs QT and Solow which did start to wake the crowd up.  A big part of me feels it was a timing issue but there is part of me that feels they knew in advance the crowd would be dead for the ROH match.  But I'm trying to not think too much about that as whether intentional or not having Lee/Swerve come out got the job done.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 3

On 5/6/2022 at 3:03 AM, zendragon said:

Bring back Homicide and Bring in Savio Vega as the OG Boriqua 

And while they're at it, they could try signing Tito Santana and Tito Ortiz as OG Santana & Ortiz and have a little MX vs OMX feud. If they play their cards right, there could even be Tito's sponsorship deal in there somewhere, I don't know?

1 hour ago, Shartnado said:

And while they're at it, they could try signing Tito Santana and Tito Ortiz as OG Santana & Ortiz and have a little MX vs OMX feud. If they play their cards right, there could even be Tito's sponsorship deal in there somewhere, I don't know?

Tito’s last name is Beveridge, which is very appropriate. A great Austin success story.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Tito’s last name is Beveridge, which is very appropriate. A great Austin success story.

Very appropriate, indeed! He must have thought "You know, maybe I should just get into the drink business!"