DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/4/2022

This show definitely had a "Let's not waste our best stuff against the NBA playoffs" kinda feel.

Hangman's sudden heelishness wasn't executed as well as Bryan's, but it does sort of make sense for him to be irked by everyone writing him off at Double or Nothing (both in kayfabe and not-kayfabe as seen here). I think it work better if Punk was there to have an actual back and forth. Punk has that voice where he sounds like an asshole even if he isn't trying to be (although most of the time he is), so Hangman's frustration would come across as a lot less forced.

Agreed the HoB segment was a mess. Not having Julia do a dick-kick from behind was being unpredictable in a bad way. I guess the door's still open for a turn, but they might have missed the boat for max value.

The biggest overarching complaint I have now is using ROH like 2001 WCW, basically a series of undercard titles that attempt compensate for too many directionless people on the roster. I know it's gonna take some time to get new-ROH off the ground, but they really need split up the roster appropriately. Otherwise, you get heatless mains like this.

Still some good stuff like Fenix/Dante and Morrisey/Wardlow. Morrisey has improved a lot from his Big Cass days, and wouldn't be a bad fit on the AEW roster.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

You're basing your 'theory' off one night when they competed well with a top playoff game. I'd suggest it's well worth considering how they did the many other nights they were opposed by the NBA Playoffs.

Yeah sure, AEW could always be better, but for the sake of my own contentedness, I'll bypass the need for my personal vision of wrestling perfection, and accept the consistently pretty terrific show they've been running for over two years now. A show that even on a slightly off night is still a lot of fun.  

We can certainly look at other Wednesdays but I think looking bigger picture, AEW has hit a ceiling at the moment and that's not a terrible thing they are still doing great in the demos but I'm wondering have they hit a ceiling because that's just the nature of TV in 2022 now or are there things that Tony can do better to continue their national growth. 

We used to say (or probably still do) whenever Vince would have something dumb on RAW that he's booking for an audience of one. 

I don't think Tony is booking for an audience of one but there's examples such as last night's main event where I'm asking "who is this for?".  I watch more wrestling than 90% of all people and I know it wasn't for me. Not that it was a bad match. 

There's other performers where I can see a wide audience loving them (The Acclaimed, Jade and the Baddies, Team Tazz, etc) that aren't featured a lot or are on Rampage more and I'm wondering does Tony see how popular they could become if given more opportunity.

Dynamite most weeks is a great show, I'm not saying it isn't I much prefer it to every other wrestling show out there. 

Has Julia Hart ever signed a contract with AEW, or is she still being paid on a show-by-show basis? It seems quite odd that she's the center of this glacial storyline and pen has yet to be put to paper with her.

I want Pillman Jr. to succeed, but he's just not believable as an underdog babyface who can stand up to the bully heel. Even his challenge to HOB on Dark was the equivalent of a child's taunts -- I half expected him to say he hates HOB because they're poopyheads.

• Like 1

I still don't see Hangman being a heel. What is he supposed to do? Be "all shucks I'm so happy to have this opportunity to take on CM Punk?" Much like CM Punk last week, Hangman this week said right back that he was taking the fight right to Punk and Punk wouldn't win. These people are out there chanting for CM Punk when he spent years busting his ass for these fans. He didn't say the fans were dumb. The most egregious thing he said was that all those people chanting for CM Punk were going to be very disappointed. 

What I don't see being mentioned was how good of a promo Hangman is now. Dude is filled to the brim with confidence and I'm buying into everything he says. 

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Bring back Homicide and Bring in Savio Vega as the OG Boriqua 

Awwwww shit yeah.

Next Dynamite, P&P getting beat down again, only for TK to purchase the Caribbean Legend's original WWF theme, DUH DUH DUH hits, the crowd loses it, big Road Warrior pop. A returning Eddie Kingston and Savio Vega march out wearing matching roly poly fat guy suspender tights. They counter the fireball by Savio teaching Eddie the secret of the roly poly fat guy spin kick. Clear the ring out. Roly poly fat guy dancing. Eddie Kingston kills a guy with a rail road spike.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Savio Vega has one of the best spinning heel kicks in the history of pro wrestling, so I'm 100% on board with this idea.

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

What gives you the impression we're not?

That's the impression that I get. 

Anytime I can work in a Mighty Mighty Bosstones reference, I try to take it. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, just drew said:

Same for Wardlow. Reminder that WWE had both these folks (Cargill and Wardlow) at the PC and let both get away. The payoff of Wardlow murdering MJF is going to be glorious. Felt good for Morrissey, as dude has clearly worked hard to clean his life up. I just wonder why Enzo, who has appeared to do the same thing, isn't getting the same benefit of the doubt? They could be big stars for AEW, because their "promo first" presentation is clearly lacking. AEW has twenty Gargano's. They have so many that adding the actual Gargano does nothing for you. Adding some promo guys give you a dynamic you're in short supply of.

I don't know if you saw him in NXT where he and Candice where sort of surrogate parents to those two dolt Indie and Austin. But he could be and excellent comedy heel leading a faction 

They really need to explain Danhausen. You really can't just expect the audience to know who people are or what they can do. That's just bad television. It's a character on my TV and I have no idea who he is other than he's trying to mess around with Hook.  

AEW has its strengths but they really miss the basics on some things. Some things they hit home runs with. Other things they whiff on. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gorman said:

(raises hand)

Freddie Blassie: "You know, I hate a hard loser, Gene. And I want to tell your wife out there, whenever he calls and says, 'I'll be late,' he's with Moolah! And IRS, if he says he's using his expense account, he's with Moolah!" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Danhausens fun. I get more confused when Santana & Ortiz are running around dressed like mimes than Danhausen. He’s in the Tajiri or Santino vein. Could probably do with some exposition but hey, he’s just a performance artist.

RE Page: Page is great. Which is why it’s extra amusing to read people fall over themselves to try and justify a couple of bouts with mid card Dante + Archer spared from his usual hangout on Dark or wherever he is, a vacuous “feud” with Adam Cole and some multi man’s with the job squad in 5 months as good booking. It’s all been enormously down hill since the Danielson stuff, and that was like the first couple of weeks of his reign. 15 months to get him to some unremarkable episodes with a bunch of mid carders. Yeah, They’ve done him dirty no doubt; there were tons of interesting ways to go.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

I never cared about Johnny Gargano in NXT (even with being in at least two of it's all-time best matches) but his heel run leading The Way was epic. He and Candice were amazing. Committed deeply to their roles and hilarious with their lack of awareness. 

16 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I don't know if you saw him in NXT where he and Candice where sort of surrogate parents to those two dolt Indie and Austin. But he could be and excellent comedy heel leading a faction 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

extra post about House of Black vs the Blondes from last night:

Is the upside of "these babyfaces are so brave that they're calling out dudes who will kick their ass" enough to make up for the downside of "these babyfaces are dumbasses who are calling out dudes who will kick the shit out of them"

Also the brawling part of their exchange was noticeably slow, like they were fighting in a movie.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think the best move would be to have done that on Dark or Rampage last week so you can chop it up into a 25-30 sec package and run it before you have Fenix walk out for the Dante match last night, so you can at least make the wider Dynamite audience aware they're continuing the issue.

• Like 1

I had never seen Danhausen until he showed up in AEW, and I can tell you that he has no physical prowess but had most of the world believing that he possessed supernatural powers. Hook has exposed that he does not, in fact, have any supernatural powers, which has caused Danhausen to act out in crazier, yet non-violent ways. This has the audience invested in wanting the already fairly popular Hook to embrace the lovable goof.

Not sure what further explanation wouldn't just be insulting to the audience, which is already into him based on live reactions.

• Like 2

My personal opinion is one of that if they take the belt off of Hangman and put it onto Punk, it will be the first time I genuinely disliked an AEW booking decision.  I'm not sure if im in the minority, but while Punk being back has been great, i feel like it's just the same thing over and over.  I enjoy the matches, everything he's in, but it really has stopped "moving the needle for me" at all.

14 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I never cared about Johnny Gargano in NXT (even with being in at least two of it's all-time best matches) but his heel run leading The Way was epic. He and Candice were amazing. Committed deeply to their roles and hilarious with their lack of awareness. 

yhea I don't have any interest in him coming as "Johnny Workrate" when in recent months they've brought in Jay Lethal, Jake Atlas, Fish, O'Reilly, Neese ect

24 minutes ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

My personal opinion is one of that if they take the belt off of Hangman and put it onto Punk, it will be the first time I genuinely disliked an AEW booking decision.  I'm not sure if im in the minority, but while Punk being back has been great, i feel like it's just the same thing over and over.  I enjoy the matches, everything he's in, but it really has stopped "moving the needle for me" at all.

For an at-times chaotic TV show, everything narrative wise takes too long to play out. It’s like a bizarro ADHD world at times that varies from intense hyperfocus to events taking absolutely forever to materialise (see: J Hart). Punk’s been a victim of this too as they’ve had him stuck with that cheesy “aren’t I a lucky guy to be back!” schtick variously for too long. But the great stuff with Kingston showed his depth, and there are a lot of ways to go with Punk as champ. He without doubt will have a big enough ego to impress his own decisions upon them too & not get caught in the same trap as champ.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, A_K said:

For a crash TV show, everything takes too long to play out. It’s like a bizarro ADHD world at times that varies from intense hyperfocus to events taking absolutely forever to materialise (see: J Hart). Punk’s been a victim of this too as they’ve had him stuck with that cheesy “aren’t I a lucky guy to be back!” schtick variously for too long. But the great stuff with Kingston showed his depth, and there are a lot of ways to go with Punk as champ. He without doubt will have a big enough ego to impress his own decisions upon them too & not get caught in the same trap as champ.

The pay off needs to be that Julia Hart and Jimmy Hart are actually the same person doing a Hannah Montana gimmick.

• Haha 4

55 minutes ago, A_K said:

Danhausens fun. I get more confused when Santana & Ortiz are running around dressed like mimes than Danhausen.

Their face paint is from the movie Dead Presidents. A lot of people in my age group or thereabouts watched the movie a million times.. it's awesome but Tony Schiavone did mention it on air a couple times noting the paint was Dead Presidents inspired. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Their face paint is from the movie Dead Presidents. A lot of people in my age group or thereabouts watched the movie a million times.. it's awesome but Tony Schiavone did mention it on air a couple times noting the paint was Dead Presidents inspired. 

That movie ruled. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chriskbrown50 said:

NBA playoff still draws decent numbers regardless of the matchup.  The real question which will may never know is how much more $$ can TBS charge for ad revenues in this slot versus what it could charge 3 years ago.  That's what matters. I read that the old Turner folks played a bunch of funny accounting with wrestling. Hope TK is getting some better insight.  That's is really the cost/benefit question. 

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Meltzer and Brandon Thurston both seem to think that Turner have a minority stake in AEW. So, yeah, they don't outright own them, but...

Is that something they say? Because that seems pretty far fetched. They got out of owning wrestling for a reason. Even a minority share would be beyond shocking. And it's not like The Khans need any financial assistance. Plus TK strikes me as the type to be very particular about who gets any type of power in what is ultimately his prized possession.

So with that in mind, I thought the going assumption was Warner pays a rights fee and keeps all ad sales. So what TBS can charge matters to TBS, but as far as AEW caring / profiting from it... it's a non-factor. Warner keeps all the ad money because they pay a rights fee. I was under the impression ad splits have kind of went the way of the dinosaur. WWE & USA / WWE & FOX don't do ad splits either. The networks pay a shitload for the programing. The ads are their way of making that money back and trying to turn a profit off of the programming.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

“Where’s the heat?”

AEW is short about 3-4 hot feuds right now - MJF/Wardlow is the only one with any steam.

This is one problem with a tournament taking up significant TV time - there’s no organic heat with dry tournament matchups. 

And they’re building the tournament around fucking Adam Cole blah blah blah