DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/4/2022

The problem with Danhausen is lack of consistency. In his debut, he appears in OC vs. Adam Cole. Cassidy reacts confused and has no idea why Danhausen is there. Then the next week, Danhausen is with the Best Friends and Excalibur says he's part of the Best Friends.

After that, Danhausen just starts randomly appearing throughout Dynamite and trying to put curses on people. No more Danhausen and Best Friends, and now he's upset because he can't curse Hook. 

*Shrugs*

Listen, I like Danhausen, but this isn't what I would call good booking. This is more like WWE level week to week fly by the seat of your pants booking.

37 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I wasn't a fan of the 'Tear in My Beer' Bucks-Hanger storyline either, and I do think it pulled too far away from the Rootin' Tootin' Sonofabitch who, with cocktail in hand, would Lariat a fool at the drop of a drop. That said, I wouldn't call his run a failure. Disappointed? Not me, but to each their own. The Title switch from Kenny and the Danielson matches were excellent, and everything else in-ring has been a lot of fun. I'm not a Cole-hater, but there wasn't a good enough reason to do a re-match - tho, the Texas Death Match was terrific. The biggest problem with this run is how the AEW World TItle MUST be limited to so few title defenses. Page is a workhorse, he needs to be the workhorse, and he'd be a lot better off taking new challenges on TV a little or lot more often.

The bolded is the biggest thing in my opinion. Page is more Bret Hart or Austin than Hulk Hogan. He's not an "attraction" per se. He's the fighting everyman that people get behind. He should wrestle more than he does now on shows and just in general do more stuff on shows. More things should revolve around him on a week to week basis. He shouldn't be the superman champ who's super above the rest of the main eventers, he should be in the fray more.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Casey said:

So, the live crowds are popping for Danhausen but also don't know who or what he is? Hm, alright. I must have been hearing things when Danhausen confronted HOOK on the 4/20 episode of Dynamite and they popped AND chanted for him. Weird.

You are citing "crowd reactions" when I'm talking about a national audience. The two aren't going to be the same. There's people watching at home who will never attend a show. Tony still needs to book for those people as well.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

The Danhausen thing is weird. I expected vignettes by this point for him. I think this is a case of Coach TK thinking everyone that follows AEW is an uber-indy fan... when that is so opposite from reality. 

Page's title run is almost non-existent for me. The Cole thing was "whatever", and one I had zero interest in... but who would you have programmed him with over the winter? Coach hasn't exactly built anyone up thats a legitimate threat. Instead he hotshotted a new signing that really had no business being there if AEW really takes W/L and rankings seriously. Scorpio Sky would have had a stronger case to feud with Page than Cole. 

They could have even worked a Miro PPV main event during this run. 

Jericho's program that ended up happening with Kingston could have been done with Page instead. Nice callback to him losing his first title shot.

If you believe that MJF will beat Punk for the title, you could have probably got to the same conclusion by having MJF/Wardlow challenge Page instead of the Punk program.

House of Black have done nothing for a while. Andrade was right there. Joe could have been used for that rather than build for the ROH show. Cody leaving the territory by putting over Page would have been good too.

If they were game enough to do a face vs face series - Kingston would have been logically a decent shot. I've mentioned before I would have liked to have seen them take a gamble with Sting while he still can go. 

extra post about House of Black vs the Blondes from last night:

Is the upside of "these babyfaces are so brave that they're calling out dudes who will kick their ass" enough to make up for the downside of "these babyfaces are dumbasses who are calling out dudes who will kick the shit out of them"

Also the brawling part of their exchange was noticeably slow, like they were fighting in a movie.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The problem with Danhausen is lack of consistency. In his debut, he appears in OC vs. Adam Cole. Cassidy reacts confused and has no idea why Danhausen is there. Then the next week, Danhausen is with the Best Friends and Excalibur says he's part of the Best Friends.

After that, Danhausen just starts randomly appearing throughout Dynamite and trying to put curses on people. No more Danhausen and Best Friends, and now he's upset because he can't curse Hook. 

*Shrugs*

Listen, I like Danhausen, but this isn't what I would call good booking. This is more like WWE level week to week fly by the seat of your pants booking.

I'm pretty sure the implication was that Danhausen just started hanging around them and nobody really cared all that much (BTE expanded on that - yeah, I know, we hate supplemental programming here because everything needs to be on Dynamite, but stay with me), because Trent and YUTA had a ton of (kayfabe) heat with each other on screen. And then, Best Friends basically broke up like a month after this happened. Orange Cassidy got injured. Trent hated YUTA, then he had his matches with Mox and Danielson and then joined the BCC. Kris Statlander completely changed. It's basically just Trent & Chuck, and Trent teams up with Rocky Romero more often than he does Chuck Taylor it seems. It makes sense that Danhausen kind of just moved on to doing his own thing, randomly cursing people until he found someone that was "immune" to it.

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

You are citing "crowd reactions" when I'm talking about a national audience. The two aren't going to be the same. There's people watching at home who will never attend a show. Tony still needs to book for those people as well.  

I don't even really know how to respond to this, since there's no way to gauge whether or not the viewing audience at home does or doesn't understand the character. He's had basically zero quarter hour segments so that doesn't register with the ratings and increase/decrease in viewers (except maybe the HOOK confrontation on 4/20). The paying audience seems to love Danhausen, and have since he debuted, so... I dunno. I'd go with that if I was a capitalist billionaire running a wrestling promotion trying to make money.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I have to push back a bit on Dave's NBA playoffs theory. The 76ers and Heat series is about the least interesting series going on right now and neither have that big of a fan base. 

Some will disagree but I think Tony has booked too far towards a niche of a niche with some things.. 

Wouldn't the NBA Playoffs in the top three positions indicate it's an actual fact not a reporter's theory?  Finishing number 4 in the night behind said playoffs sounds like making the best of a situation. 

• Like 4

Inside the NBA Playoffs had the 3rd spot and 1.67M people were watching it starting at 12:42am Eastern.

The top 10 by The Demo were:

• Mavericks/Suns
  • 76ers/Heat
  • Inside the NBA postgame
  • AEW
  • The Five
  • Bruins/Hurricanes
  • NBA Playoffs Pregame
  • The Bowtie Guy show
  • Sounders/UNAM (Concacaf)
  • Blues/Wild

So if any of that NHL was able to make the top 5, we could have heard about AEW going up against two different leagues on the same day.

21 minutes ago, EVA said:

You’re treading perilously close to invoking the mythical casual fan.

I don't know if I'd say casual but are there a million people who know who Danhausen is/was or are going to know Mercedes Martinez and Deonna or care about their ROH title unification with no build? I'd say very unlikely..

11 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Wouldn't the NBA Playoffs in the top three positions indicate it's an actual fact not a reporter's theory?  Finishing number 4 in the night behind said playoffs sounds like making the best of a situation. 

That's not the theory.. Dave is suggesting the NBA playoffs took viewers away from AEW. Wasn't a Boston vs. Brooklyn game on a Wednesday night which did a much higher number of viewers last round and yet AEW was well over 900k? I don't necessarily believe AEW can't do close to a million or over vs. The NBA playoffs.. I think Tony just needs to book his stars a little better and maybe put some other things on the YouTube shows.

10 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know if I'd say casual but are there a million people who know who Danhausen is/was or are going to know Mercedes Martinez and Deonna or care about their ROH title unification with no build? I'd say very unlikely..

Maybe, but neither of us can really prove if some person watching at home knows who Danhausen is or not, or cares about a ROH Womens title match. The biggest drop in viewers all night was the quarter hour that had most of the Fenix/Dante match, and that widely panned House of Black segment with the Varsity Blondes. After that, it looks like only 1K people tuned out. Now, you can theorize that it was because they knew what the main event was by then, but that's the point: neither of us knows.

Hell, maybe they saw that stupid top rope backflip spot the two of them did and thought "fuck this". Or maybe they did indeed say "fuck this" when realizing Deonna and Mercedes were main eventing (even though it was advertised earlier in the show as the main event).

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Can't convince me anyone under 70 is watching that. 

My parents. All day, every day. Except when the 700 Club is on.

They're in their early 50s.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

It wasn't the strongest card ever, certainly, but sometimes they run the strongest card ever and don't do all that much better anyway so...

NBA playoff still draws decent numbers regardless of the matchup.  The real question which will may never know is how much more $$ can TBS charge for ad revenues in this slot versus what it could charge 3 years ago.  That's what matters. I read that the old Turner folks played a bunch of funny accounting with wrestling. Hope TK is getting some better insight.  That's is really the cost/benefit question. 

8 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

We are past the point that Jericho’s guys beating up on Kingston’s guys has gotten a bit old. They need reserves, and I basically thinking Kingston, Santana, an Ortiz shouldn’t be back on tv until they have them or at least have them pick a few guys off.

Bring back Homicide and Bring in Savio Vega as the OG Boriqua 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

probably harder to play accounting tricks on companies that you don't own

Meltzer and Brandon Thurston both seem to think that Turner have a minority stake in AEW. So, yeah, they don't outright own them, but...

Edited by Casey

38 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That's not the theory.. Dave is suggesting the NBA playoffs took viewers away from AEW. Wasn't a Boston vs. Brooklyn game on a Wednesday night which did a much higher number of viewers last round and yet AEW was well over 900k? I don't necessarily believe AEW can't do close to a million or over vs. The NBA playoffs.. I think Tony just needs to book his stars a little better and maybe put some other things on the YouTube shows.

You're basing your 'theory' off one night when they competed well with a top playoff game. I'd suggest it's well worth considering how they did the many other nights they were opposed by the NBA Playoffs.

Yeah sure, AEW could always be better, but for the sake of my own contentedness, I'll bypass the need for my personal vision of wrestling perfection, and accept the consistently pretty terrific show they've been running for over two years now. A show that even on a slightly off night is still a lot of fun.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Just now, Cobra Commander said:

probably harder to play accounting tricks on companies that you don't own

Yeah but can TK see the books at all? The entertainment history AND wrestling are famous for cooking the books. Studios charging all kind of unrelated expense to movie budgets or promoters skimming the gate back in the day

6 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

You're basing your 'theory' off one night when they competed well with a top playoff game. I'd suggest it's well worth considering how they did the many other nights they were opposed by the NBA Playoffs.

Yeah sure, AEW could always be better, but for the sake of my own contentedness, I'll bypass the need for my personal vision of wrestling perfection, and accept the consistently pretty terrific show they've been running for over two years now. A show that even on a slightly off night is still a lot of fun.  

How about a show I look forward to? in 2022, TK has put some truly great wrestling matches on free TV. I mean 10 year me back in Virginia Beach could only dream of some of this matches...

• Like 3