DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/4/2022

Still watching the DVR of this, only watched parts of the main last night so finishing up. Favorite parts were Wardlow and Yuta's new theme music. Aside from airing Regal's segment (which got cut down) I have no taste for all the talking this episode and the matches aren't so hot either. Best ones are the six-man and Fenix/Martin. Boy was the Jericho match devoid of anything beyond passable wrestling but THE WIZARD is still cracking me up. Sing it Ex! 

Also JR was right on the button about Julia being threatened, that was really uncomfortable. 20 year old girl surrounded by gigantic men basically pissing herself is not a good look. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

4 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

This has already pretty much been said, but I think it's more the fault of the booking than Page. Whenever he's actually been onscreen, he's always been at least good, often great. It's just that they go for very long stretches without anyone mentioning him.

Booking is bad - they fucked his character up associating him with the Dark Order jobbers/crying-cowboy gibberish. Everybody pontificated and tried to super-intellectualise the "millennial cowboy" stuff but .. nah, that ain't it. Best Hangman was Beer Chugging Hangman. They hollowed out his character -- not deepened his character -- and he's fallen by the wayside in the middle of the pack as a result. Its an enormous pity. Imagine in '98 they started having SCSA run around trying to make pals, protect & redeem Mosh and Thrasher - my god.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Matt D said:

In wrestling, every bland babyface is one heel turn away from maybe breaking out. I firmly believe that there was an amazing heel run inside of Tom Zenk that never made it out. That said, Pillman's instincts are just so off.

Apropos of nothing, Tom Zenk was amazing as the defacto heel in his match against Pillman for the WCW Light Heavyweight title at Wrestle War 1992.

Three months later, he was teaming with Johnny Gunn and that was that.

1 hour ago, porksweats said:

Love the Johnson/Griff idea and yes to the idea of New Age Horsemen, but I rather Pillman just not be there, but who knows. Are there any other 2nd generation Horsemen alumns?

Charlotte Flair and Tess… uh, no. Forget everything. There are no other junior Horsepeople in Wrestling.

Paul Roma does run a very good Wrestling school though. His trainees are all over Wrestling Open, and some of them are incredible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

After watching Purrazzo/Martinez match with the disappontment of Purrazzo not winning dissapating, Mercedes Martinez got the Toni Storm memo and really laid it in.  TK should really move heaven and earth to sign Purrazzo,  She is so good.  She is a new Tully Blanchard.  The heat was weird but the crowd didn't turn on it- which is more than I expected.  Wish they could build up to a rematch where they could give it time.  Watch the Purrazzo/Roxanne Perez title match and how the submissions where allowed to play out.  It made it so much better.

The fans turning on it was my fear too. People familiar with their work would know that they are capable and would likely put on a good match. But to many fans it was two women just kinda thrown out there without a proper build. A video package or confrontation or two prior wouldn't have hurt. Having said that, I was pleasantly surprised by the match placement. Had to be a big moment for both. 

• Like 2

Pullman Jr. is perfectly acceptable as a lunkhead babyface whose team loses. Not everyone is going to be good. I oddly like that a guy who is pretty bad on the mic gets time. It’s a good fit for a JTTS-level guy. 

I only caught the second hour. I liked the Dante match a lot. I will always be a sucker for guys who do a bunch of flips and the like. Perfectly good attempts at trying to one-up each other. 

Thunder Rosa coming out in face paint while dressed like she’s headed out to a co-worker’s bachelorette party - somewhat formal attire up top paired with workplace inappropriate leather pants - will always entertain me. Awkward segment. Neither has the chops to carry dialogue. They were expected to do too much acting and it’s pretty impossible to make “oh really???” reactions interesting unless you are like Jericho or KO or heel Bayley. Just a normal promo segment between the two would have been better.

Main event put me to sleep. Perfectly fine match but the stakes were or there for an AEW Main Event. Why should I care about the ROH Women’s Title? Why does this even exist? The story behind the match was not told on AEW TV unless I missed something. Would have been fine as a 10-minute match on the middle segment of Rampage. But the third most important belt in the women’s division that was just introduced was pointless.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Also JR was right on the button about Julia being threatened, that was really uncomfortable. 20 year old girl surrounded by gigantic men basically pissing herself is not a good look. 

The crowd really specifically died at that point. Like, there was big disappointment at the turn not happening, but then it just got dead quiet at that moment. The guys took too long to make the save. Whole thing was a disaster. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, A_K said:

Booking is bad - they fucked his character up associating him with the Dark Order jobbers/crying-cowboy gibberish. Everybody pontificated and tried to super-intellectualise the "millennial cowboy" stuff but .. nah, that ain't it. Best Hangman was Beer Chugging Hangman. They hollowed out his character -- not deepened his character -- and he's fallen by the wayside in the middle of the pack as a result. Its an enormous pity. Imagine in '98 they started having SCSA run around trying to make pals, protect & redeem Mosh and Thrasher - my god.

You're really boiling down a really good a 15-month long storyline into that description and then following up by saying they should just re-do Hangman as this generation's Steve Austin instead?  If your whole idea for a babyface is "be a man and drink some beer, don't worry about friends," then maybe this isn't your show.  I hear there's a whole promotion run by a guy of a more agreeable political ilk for you who books babyfaces as the manly man manly definitely never crying would never dream of hugging another dude loaners they should be.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Speaking of how a heel turn can be a gamechanger, loved Red Velvet up in the Baddies fold.  Here's hoping Kiera Hogan gets a chance to shine too. One small thing, I'd love it if Red's hair could go fully Red, Kiera's fully Blue, no two tones, and Jade whatever solid color she damn well pleases. Baddies 4 Life!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Speaking of how a heel turn can be a gamechanger, loved Red Velvet up in the Baddies fold.  Here's hoping Kiera Hogan gets a chance to shine too. One small thing, I'd love it if Red's hair could go fully Red, Kiera's fully Blue, no two tones, and Jade whatever solid color she damn well pleases. Baddies 4 Life!

Hell yeah, that segment ruled.

• Like 3

I said last week that I thought Serena needs a manager. That is even truer to me after last night. Lady just cannot talk. If Tully is still making it to tv, use him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

I hate to say Pillman has negative charisma, but man, that dude has negative charisma. The way he was out there in the ring with that mic just building to a shout out to John Harbaugh was so awkward and cringe worthy. I felt bad for the guy. He was dying out there. Like, maybe that sort of thing works in 1982, but that kind of promo isn't going to cut it in 2022. It was so boring that the crowd couldn't even bring themselves to "WHAT?" Pillman's promo.

He's totally lacking in any sort of fire, he's really sloppy, and the style he's trying to wrestle just doesn't work for him. I may be alone in thinking this, but Pillman Jr. is a pretty thick dude and is trying to wrestle like his dad. He should have learned how to be a shit kicker brawler and really leaned into looking like a piece of trash. He already has the mullet, he just needs some awful facial hair.

I feel like he’s regressed a lot. I saw him on some indies 4-5 years ago and he was really good, even cut some better than adequate promos. Even in the early days w Garrison, they had a 123 Kid/Bob Holly feel where I could’ve seen them getting a flash tag title win on a ppv only to lose them at the next tv taping. They’ve just gotten so complacent. A Ring of Honor run where they could be a higher priority would do them so much good…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

David Flair...nah.

Joe Hennig. Barry Windham’s got a couple of nephews with a lot of time on their hands. 

David Ben- never mind. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, just drew said:

I said last week that I thought Serena needs a manager. That is even truer to me after last night. Lady just cannot talk. If Tully is still making it to tv, use him.

Actually Thunder could use one too after last night. I like that AEW does not script interviews BUT some talent could use some real hand holding here. 

• Like 1

Just now, chriskbrown50 said:

Actually Thunder could use one too after last night. I like that AEW does not script interviews BUT some talent could use some real hand holding here. 

I don't disagree, but at least Rosa is ESL. There's an authenticity with her I think. She didn't grow up speaking English, so her english is gonna be rough. 

• Like 1

Just now, just drew said:

I don't disagree, but at least Rosa is ESL. There's an authenticity with her I think. She didn't grow up speaking English, so her english is gonna be rough. 

She's really good at short, intense promos.  It's when she has to go on for a while that she seems to struggle.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Pre-tapes!  I understand the benefit for really good talkers to do it in front of the audience, but there's no need for ppl like Pillman Jr and Rosa to be stumbling all over the place as the crowd goes mild.

• Like 1

I guess I should just give my show thoughts instead of clogging the thread up:

BCC is so perfect. I'd love to see them add another member or two, but if they don't, it's still the best thing on AEW tv right now. My only question is what's the endgame? 

HOB is treading water. They all look like massive stars. They can all work their asses off. Get them something real to do. My fear is they're gonna drop the fall to Death Triangle and then what? You're wasting Andrade. You can't waste Malakai Black, too. 

Hardy/Fish wasn't my cup of tea. I don't understand why we're still pretending the Hardy's are a big deal in 2022, and my thoughts on the Super Elite self-aggrandizing nonsense are well established. 

I thought that Joe promo about bravery was absolutely fire. I liked the Baddies segment, too. Jade Cargill is one of the biggest stars in the business right now. If they're smart they back the Brinks truck up.

Same for Wardlow. Reminder that WWE had both these folks (Cargill and Wardlow) at the PC and let both get away. The payoff of Wardlow murdering MJF is going to be glorious. Felt good for Morrissey, as dude has clearly worked hard to clean his life up. I just wonder why Enzo, who has appeared to do the same thing, isn't getting the same benefit of the doubt? They could be big stars for AEW, because their "promo first" presentation is clearly lacking. AEW has twenty Gargano's. They have so many that adding the actual Gargano does nothing for you. Adding some promo guys give you a dynamic you're in short supply of.

I hope TK doesn't make the mistake of taking the title off of Hangman Page. There are so many more interesting things for AEW to do with Page as champ than Punk. 

Didn't love the JAS stuff. Kingston and P&P are starting to look like geeks. They need reinforcements. 

Dante/Fenix; YES PLEASE. I'll watch those two run it back as many times as they want. That was the absolute good shit.

Add me to the "put the tag belts on Hobbs & Starks" camp. It makes for a cleaner transition to FTR, elevates Starks, and clears up Jungle Boy to chase whoever takes the TNT Title off Scorpio Sky. If I were TK, one of my top priorities of the next 12 months would be getting Jungle Boy elevated to "World Champion" level. He's a prodigious worker and has become a better than average promo. His real-life story and good looks would play well for tv appearances and whatnot, too. He and Malakai Black or Miro or Adam Cole or Andrade for the AEW World Title would be my long-term goal for the end of 2023. Get Jungle Boy into the main event with an over, top level heel and get the title on him. That's his trajectory. 

I liked the main event. I hadn't seen much Purrazzo, but she carries like a star and is probably too good for Impact wrestling. I've always enjoyed Mercedes Martinez. I hope when ROH gets a tv situation she's able to be used more.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, just drew said:

BCC is so perfect. I'd love to see them add another member or two, but if they don't, it's still the best thing on AEW tv right now. My only question is what's the endgame? 

HOB is treading water. They all look like massive stars. They can all work their asses off. Get them something real to do. My fear is they're gonna drop the fall to Death Triangle and then what? You're wasting Andrade. You can't waste Malakai Black, too. 

Hmmm... you know what I'd like to see?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

You're really boiling down a really good a 15-month long storyline into that description and then following up by saying they should just re-do Hangman as this generation's Steve Austin instead?  If your whole idea for a babyface is "be a man and drink some beer, don't worry about friends," then maybe this isn't your show.  I hear there's a whole promotion run by a guy of a more agreeable political ilk for you who books babyfaces as the manly man manly definitely never crying would never dream of hugging another dude loaners they should be.

It was a narrative experiment that failed. It clearly failed because D.O don’t even get on TV anymore unless to job in multi-tags (some are already on way out of the company). Page had a character that worked & was over then they fucked with it in a drawn out tedious way. He may still be over - but clearly not to the same degree or to the extent they want, or else they wouldn’t be reconcepting him again barely 6 months after he took the belt on a program that lasted forever to reach a resolution. 15 months build dedicated to get to a coming out defense against Danielson then .. the almighty pay offs of programs with Lance Archer & Adam Cole before presumably dropping the belt? Yeah - that’s a complete failure, whatever the political mumbo jumbo you try to obscure the conversation with. As mentioned before, other than Jades all these belts need a complete rebuild. Then people ask why there’s no proper heat in the program.

Edited by A_K

2 minutes ago, A_K said:

It was a narrative experiment that failed. It clearly failed because D.O don’t even get on TV anymore unless to job in multi-tags (some are already on way out of the company). Page had a character that worked & was over then they fucked with it in a drawn out tedious way. He may still be over - but clearly not to the same degree or to the extent they want, or else they wouldn’t be reconcepting him again barely 6 months after he took the belt on a program that lasted forever to reach a resolution. 15 months build dedicated to get to a coming out defense against Danielson then .. the almighty pay offs of programs with Lance Archer & Adam Cole before presumably dropping the belt? Yeah - that’s a complete failure, whatever the political mumbo jumbo you try to obscure the conversation with. As mentioned before, other than Jades all these belts need a complete rebuild. Then people ask why there’s no proper heat in the program.

That everyone isn't seeing this argument as pure insanity baffles me. Hangman is IMMENSELY over with the live crowds, to the point that the disappointment with his heel promo was audible.

Alvarez said something smart (I know, I know) about this. When Bret and Hennig had to fight at King of the Ring, and they were both babyfaces, they found a reason for Curt to work heel that night, and then everyone reset and moved on. Punk worked heel against Kingston and came back, now Page is working heel against Punk. If the argument is that Punk should be taking the heel role again, instead, I probably agree. If the argument is that Page will remain heel in the aftermath -- dare I invoke the terrible words -- let's wait and see. I think and hope he'll come back to us.

• Like 7