DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/4/2022

14 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Serena Deeb (needs a mouthpiece), 

Can women join the Blackpool Combat Club?

Because Deeb would be a fucking GREAT addition and getting Regal on commentary for a women's match here and there would do wonders for some of the lesser known talent.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 3

You're all gonna get Adam Cole in the finals and you're gonna like it. This is like when you complain about what was for dinner as a kid so your parents made you sit there and eat every bite of it. The more you complain about Adam Cole the more of him you're gonna get.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 3

The worst bit of the Pillman segment was when they called out the HOB for a fight, they answered, and instead of fiery babyface taking their chances before the numbers game proved too much, they just stood there awkwardly for way too long. You could almost see Buddy trying to subtly get them to start things. Absolutely no reason for HOB to start a fight that they have a 3 on 2 advantage on and that they're going to win anyway.

It's the second big example of him just fundamentally not understanding the babyface mindset. When MJF ran down his family and instead of running to the ring to throw down, he walked out and cut this blatheringly long promo about a match on another show. 

Ideally Griff would have turned here and joined the HOB, if for no other reason than it furthers the Edge comparisons and highlights that the Edge faction is a knock off version featuring older guys. 

Significant trepidation about the Hangman heel turn, especially if he's dropping the belt. Think it makes him look like a bit of a loser/rung down the same way it did Punk when he turned on Rock/Cena. 

• Like 7

Hangman wouldn’t look like a loser. He beat Kenny Omega (Danielson couldn’t), went to a time limit draw AND THEN beat Danielson, defeated resident crazy monster Lance Archer, and successfully defended his title - twice - against Adam Cole. He’s a world beater right now. Danielson is fuckin’ Danielson, Archer is your typical heel monster than any babyface champion has to overcome, and Adam Cole - whether people here like him or not - is massively over with live crowds, and is actually a big deal by proxy since he was a big deal in NXT before he got here. He was the ace of that show, and he lost to Page, twice 

I love Hangman, but it’s time. Not everyone can have super lengthy runs with the title, or even needs to. His reign will be about as long as Jericho’s was, which sounds right. I also don’t think he’ll turn heel, but he’ll definitely be the 2nd most popular person in that match most likely.

• Like 4

He'd look like a loser because he has to play heel to a more popular, bigger name, lose his title, and then either quickly revert back to face or be a gatekeeper heel. Not because of where he'd come from.

If they turned him heel, and you're either keeping the title on him with new, fresh matches, or they plan on an extended program with Punk chasing the title, I'm open to it. I also agree there's no problem with him dropping the title in the right circumstances.

Instead, they're booking on the fly because of the COVID situation, and it's likely going to make him look weak long term. I just can't see what they do with him post the PPV?

Most people won’t like the answer, but Hangman does have a role to play in the upcoming Elite/Undisputed thing that’s slowly brewing.

We don’t agree on the Hangman/Punk thing so I kind of just skipped over that part because it’s 5am and I’m tired.

They strapped the rocket to Page but if everyone is being honest with themselves, for whatever reason he never really delivered the goods. A nice transitional champ but they need someone who makes the belt feel like a big deal. The belt has never had a smaller profile than when it’s been on him so far.

• Like 1

I think Hangman ranting on the fans is fair enough. 

He's been with AEW from day one.

The crowd cheered Danielson when he flew in from "up north".

The crowd sing along with Adam Cole 'BayBay' even though he's from the cancelled show, was 2nd fiddle to KOR and is the asshole that's turned Page's friends, Matt & Nick, away from him.

Now the crowd cheer the guy who walked out on them and who only came back after everyone else did the leg work to get AEW off the ground and get him paid.

All the while everyone's talking behind Page's back about whether or not he's on *their* level.

Fuck that.

These guys need to prove they are on *HIS* level because he is THE AEW world champion!!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

I think Hangman ranting on the fans is fair enough. 

He's been with AEW from day one.

The crowd cheered Danielson when he flew in from "up north".

The crowd sing along with Adam Cole 'BayBay' even though he's from the cancelled show, was 2nd fiddle to KOR and is the asshole that's turned Page's friends, Matt & Nick, away from him.

Now the crowd cheer the guy who walked out on them and who only came back after everyone else did the leg work to get AEW off the ground and get him paid.

All the while everyone's talking behind Page's back about whether or not he's on *their* level.

Fuck that.

These guys need to prove they are on *HIS* level because he is THE AEW world champion!!

I agree - they're great motivations for what could be a good heel run for him. 

In execution, they've had their world champ come out on TV after not being seen for weeks and cut a heel promo out of the blue. It's the sort of thing you expect with guys like Lance Archer when they aren't on TV/get lost in the shuffle/need a reason to come back.

• Like 2

Agreed. They need to follow up quickly with Page cutting another promo explaining his frustrations.

He should be a "fighting champ" with more of the random Dante Martin matches or 6/8 man tags to keep him on the show every other week.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

This is one problem with a tournament taking up significant TV time - there’s no organic heat with dry tournament matchups. 

They usually do a better job of building up issues for tournament match ups but this one is “purer” and more dream match minded since it’s about Owen.

On the Women’s side, they’ve been building Hayter vs Storm for weeks though.

• Like 2

Good show!  Hey, THREE women's segments including the main???  AND did I read it right and there ar actually two women's matches on Rampage?  

I really liked Purrazzo biting Mercedes' arm to get out of the Dragon Sleeper, but then Mercedes pulling hair to get it back on.  Fighting for a hold = good.  Dirty fighting for a hold = better.

GEAR WATCH part 1: Jeff Hardy's Owen tribute gear

GEAR WATCH part 2: Angelico's Arachnaman tribute gear

GEAR WATCH part 3: Yuta takes a step up from his Dexter gear

Loved Angelico slapping on a wacky lucha submission on Danielson as soon as he got in.  Hated that it was all we got in that regard.

Hangman gets away from the gee golly nice guy shit like "hey fuck you I'm the champion of this shit!"  So great.  I really want him to keep the belt.

William Morrissey sounds better than W. Morrissey!  Points to him and half of my hometown crowd for shitting on Enzo.

If John Harbaugh was in, then it was a real missed opportunity not having him get into a pissy argument with a ref over a bad call.

JESUS CHRIST Jeff just squashes dudes with that Swanton now.

Jungle Boy is coming along in the promo department!

I need Butcher, Dante, and Angelico moved to the TNT Title division please and thank you.

Was that piped in crowd noise or real for that Rosa/Deeb segment?  Either way, it definitely kept that thing from dying.

Fuck it, give Wardlow the Goldberg entrance every damn week.

Julia Hart continues the slowest angle in history.  Fuck's sake.

OOOOOOF time to cut bait on Pillman?  He's definitely on my replacement level dudes tier.

LOL @ The Wizard

Matching pleather crop tops!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

Well… that wasn’t my favorite episode.  But there was plenty of good stuff.

A few hits and a few misses make for a lower overall score.  But I can’t complain too hard.  

Fenix is so fucking good.  Dante too.

Jericho and Santana was decent.

Wardlow is hitting.  As is MJF continuing to surf the wave. 

The BCC are ruling wrestling these days.  But the next match will need to be something of significance to avoid treading (awesome) water.  

Do I care if Hangman leans in on Punk?  I’d say the Bret call out is more than justified.  

I’d also like to take the side of the crowd that chanted “No we don’t”!

Love ya, AEW.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, wpdougie2180 said:

Gargano beats Joe because of Lethal, then beats O'Reilly and has the PPV match vs Cole for the Finals. 

Don’t you put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A_K said:

They strapped the rocket to Page but if everyone is being honest with themselves, for whatever reason he never really delivered the goods. A nice transitional champ but they need someone who makes the belt feel like a big deal. The belt has never had a smaller profile than when it’s been on him so far.

This has already pretty much been said, but I think it's more the fault of the booking than Page. Whenever he's actually been onscreen, he's always been at least good, often great. It's just that they go for very long stretches without anyone mentioning him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

This has already pretty much been said, but I think it's more the fault of the booking than Page. Whenever he's actually been onscreen, he's always been at least good, often great. It's just that they go for very long stretches without anyone mentioning him.

I’ll even say things were going pretty well… until the Cole feud. Wrong partner, and that feud god damned draaaaaagggged.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

Ideally Griff would have turned here and joined the HOB, if for no other reason than it furthers the Edge comparisons and highlights that the Edge faction is a knock off version featuring older guys. 

The only Edge comparison I care about is how since W Morrissey got shredded that he looks like Giant Edge.

If this was the 90’s he’d be on the undercard of FMW wrestling as Giant Edge against Freddy Krueger and Jason the Terrible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

22 minutes ago, Mr Harms said:

Enough with the oof. Everything’s oof now. Oof this oof that. If something doesn’t land 100%- OOF! 

well I think YOU’re oof. How do ya like that? 

LOL - the ROH women's title match was not terrible but the non-ROH fan had no clue on the background. Like me - I have time to watch one set of shows at best. I had no idea the background. 

I love they are pulling out all these Brian Pillman, Sr touches for his son but Jr on an open mic was rough. 

• Like 1

It seemed like you could hear a pin drop during Martinez's entrance, which is a fucking shame. 

Morrissey look great and Wardlow looked phenomenal. Especially liked W addressing the Enzo chants. 

Blondes/HOB segment was a bummer. Maybe the goth crew can bring in a different woman since apparently Julie is not corruptible? Dark Athena plz. 

Fenix and Dante rocked, those guys absolutely clicked and I love the way they move around each other and their respective moves/reversals. 

The Blade's punches are top notch. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 3