DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/4/2022

I loved that the ROH Women's Title match got the main event slot tonight.

I loved the pacing of tonight's show, spacing things out a bit with interviews and goofy Ass Boy segments and note-perfect Regal promo videos.

There were a ton of little things I enjoyed, like Jeff's pink and black gear, the folks in the cheap seats rising for Dragon's entrance, and Jericho getting his booboo kissed better...

There was some molten gold on commentary tonight, like (if I understood correctly) Tony letting JR know he wasn't fooling anybody w/r/t the Wu-Tang and Ex gracefully (but with a smile in his voice) covering for Tony on the three amigos.

But I am here to make some music-based "jokes" that if, like, five people "get" them I will be happy:

"Joke" #1: Hangm'n's new theme song:

Series #2: (because his name is Morrissey now):

This night has opened my eyes: Some Wrestlers are Bigger Than Others!

He's so big he makes Wardlow look like Half a Person. But he ended up the First in the Gang to Die.

(As he was going up for the powerbomb, Morrissey thought, I know it's over).

Here comes MJF. Big Mouth Strikes Again! I guess we all Hate it When our Friends Become Successful. But MJF really is a boy with a thorn in his side...

Eh... That Joke isn't Funny Any More.

edit: Hook vs... JD Drake. ? Oh boy I love it when they book to my specific (and non-ironic) tastes. Drake is, indeed, my own personal "Mark Henry."

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

After that, they should just quietly have Julia hang out with the Lucha Brothers and Alex and act like it just happened organically. Then bring back the Blondes in 6 weeks to say "hey, you abandoned us a few weeks ago, why did you do that?" before Fenix/Penta beat them in 5 minutes.

They really brought Pillman out to do stuff because they got Harbaugh to show up at a show and they needed a reason to mention him in a segment, didn't they?

I checked the listings near the end of the ROH Women's Match to make sure they didn't have some sort of slight overrun.

• Like 2

I wasn't feeling anything this week other than the Ass Boys & Acclaimed scissoring in the back and Wardlow. Pretty bad miss from a company that doesn't have many.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I loved the pacing of tonight's show, spacing things out a bit with interviews and goofy Ass Boy segments and note-perfect Regal promo videos.

There were a ton of little things I enjoyed, like Jeff's pink and black gear, the folks in the cheap seats rising for Dragon's entrance, and Jericho getting his booboo kissed better...

There was some molten gold on commentary tonight, like (if I understood correctly) Tony letting JR know he wasn't fooling anybody w/r/t the Wu-Tang and Ex gracefully (but with a smile in his voice) covering for Tony on the three amigos.

But I am here to make some music-based "jokes" that if, like, five people "get" them I will be happy:

He's so big he makes Wardlow look like Half a Person. But he ended up the First in the Gang to Die.

Here comes MJF. Big Mouth Strikes Again! I guess we all Hate it When our Friends Become Successful. But MJF really is a boy with a thorn in his side...

edit: Hook vs... JD Drake. ? Oh boy I love it when they book to my specific (and non-ironic) tastes. Drake is, indeed, my own personal "Mark Henry."

Gordlow is absolutely the Last of the Famous International Playboys.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Amazing crowd reaction for Wardlow. Sort of surprised to see Morrissey go down so quick, but thought he looked good while he was there. 

Surprised by Hangman heeling it up for the Punk feud, kinda like Bryan did before in their feud. 

Chris Jericho is THE WIZARD. Excalibur immediately gets to quoting Black Sabbath.

I wanted to like the Pillman promo but the whole thing ended pretty flat.

Fenix/Dante was good stuff as expected. Enjoyed Hardy/Fish. Very much looking forward to Hardy/Darby next week. Based on the bracketing, I'm guessing an Adam Cole victory in the end.

I liked the Serena/Thunder promo, glad to see Serena get some more mic time and very much look forward to their match. Definite big match feel like two of the very best going at it.

Main event was solid. I should've expected that it was just 'non contracted wrestler coming in to drop her title' but kind of hoped otherwise, just because it was Deonna. She looked great as always and like a star upon entrance. Very surprised by the sudden tapout finish, but it looked cool and I liked the struggle to put it on. Cool win/moment for Mercedes nonetheless. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Pillman Jr seems unfortunately to be one of those second gen guys that just got zero “this guy gets pro wrestling” DNA. 

Yeah, sure bad (but kinda hilarious) promo aside, writing off Pillman Jr. is the 2022 equivalent to the 2020-21 writing off of Austin Gunn.  It's foolish, Don't do it!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Yeah, sure bad (but kinda hilarious) promo aside, writing off Pillman Jr. is the 2022 equivalent to the 2020-21 writing off of Austin Gunn.  It's foolish, Don't do it!  

Man I really want to like Pillman Jr. cause his father is one of my all time favorites, but agree with those that do not see a ton in him. He's okay in the ring, but not great, and definitely did not inherit his dad's athleticism and natural flying ability. He's awful on the mic though, and while his online personality shows some heel potential, he is still way too green for a prominent role on a big stage (and unlike say a young Lex Luger, does not have a million dollar body/physique to compensate).

Definitely some hit or miss with the show, and interested that they went with Hangman heeling it up tonight. It's probably the smart short-term move, but still think that Punk turning down the road is the long-term play.

• Like 1

Sorry I'm late!  My youngest is playing the genie in Aladdin Jr and it's tech week and I had to pick him up AND take him to Burger King (he's vegetarian)  and then I had to wash dishes and take a shower,  SO.  HERE I AM!  I hope they do the Owen Hart tournament every year but expand it to a G-1 type thing, because I love the randomness of Jeff Hardy taking on Bobby Fish.  Fish has waaay better punches than Jeff Hardy.  Jeff Hardy remembers how to make someone's offense look great, so this is good.  I guess they are going with Jeff Hardy versus Darby Allin, which could be fun. FUCKING AWESOME!  THE BLACKPOOL COMBAT CLUB MANIFESTO!  Truncated.  AWESOME!  THE BLACKPOOL COMBAT CLUB!  Yuta is all about the elaborate gear now.  The Blade has great punches.  Jesus, Angelico uses technique.  Bryan Danielson uses violence.   Violence wins.  The Butcher is so awesome lately.  Yuta is such a great face in peril.  Annoyingly, Angelico and Yuta take it to the mat in picture in picture.  Maybe they should put the belts on Butcher and the Blade.  They look fucking great.  Moxley is THE BEST ROBERT GIBSON EVER!  That was fucking crazy. Danielson tags in and violence beats technique as he crushes Angelico.  AWESOME!  Wardlow is over in Baltimore!  W Morrisey ignoring Shawn Spear's high five is him keeping his face cred.  Maybe Wardlow is the best wrestler in AEW.  He made Morrisey  look fucking great.  MOONSAULT BY WARDLOW!  YAYYYY!  Wardlow goes berserk!  Hey!  They are doing the Jericho thing all over again.  If it leads to more of Wardlow in the ring, I'm for it.  WHOA!  Hangman shoots on FTR!  HEY! Konesuke Takeshita vs Jay Lethal will fucking rule.  Chris Jericho and Santana have a rambling fight.  Jericho has a standard to uphold and I don't think anyone will ever match his Thrillseekers bloodbath.  So I just kinda rode this match out.  This was fine.  Lacked hate.  OH NO!  Brian Pillman Jr is on the stick! Oh no!  He's losing his smile!  HE GOT IT BACK!  House of Black look like they just finished burning down a church.  Aaaaaaaand Julia.... doesn;t turn?  Who can do the craziest shit on the show that doesn't have a Darby Allin or Sammy Guevara match?  Early it's Rey Fenix.  JAYZUES, Dante hits a fucking lunatic tope while picture in picture.  Neato Spanish Fly variation thing that I have never seen before.  This is building up to something crazy.  This is a match of fruity embellishments like we thought it would be and there is enough strange stuff to make this really good.  JESUS, POISON RANA was fucking beautiful.  Awesome finisher by Rey Fenix.  That was the best Dante Martin match yet.  That was great.  Nothing was like REALLY stupid and dangerous, it was just unique and fun.  Thunder Rosa vs Serena Deeb should be good.  Deonna Purrazzo is over in Baltimore. In picture in picture, Deonna spindles Mercedes' arm.  They kinda do stuff until Mercedes Martinez locks in a Dragon Sleeper and Deonna Purrazzo didn;t win.  Which is expected but not great.  Purrazzo is so much more interesting a wrestler than Mercedes Martinez.  That was good.    AEW RULES THE WORLD! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I'll have to watch an Adam Cole match as he's with Dax Harwood. I'll be pissed if Adam Cole wins. Pull double duty, #FTR beat Jurassic Express for the AEW World Tag Team Championship at Double or Nothing and Dax in the Finals of the Owen Hart Cup. Anybody but Cole winning it.

Edited by The Natural

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

(As he was going up for the powerbomb, Morrissey thought, I know it's over).

if only Winnipagan were here...

• Like 1

The Joker is Gargano imo. Look at the brackets it would make so much sense. Gargano beats Joe because of Lethal, then beats O'Reilly and has the PPV match vs Cole for the Finals. He'd be a great representative of the Owen Hart tournament too. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Fenix and Martin deserve some kind of bonus for saving that crowd or reviving them. Holy shit. That Varsity Blondes and House of Black segment fucking sucked. Pillman Jr sadly sucks and I really wanted to believe he’d be bigger than his dad, but the dude just doesn’t have it. And this shit is actively hurting House of Black. People wanted Julia to turn so badly. Just give these people what they want and have House of Black just be doing cool shit. 

Rest of the show was good, but it’s too bad the crowd was dead for the main event.

And fuck John Harbaugh.

• Like 5

AEW Dynamite is becoming bit by a very particular "one bad segment" problem. I'm gonna reference the Satnam Singh debut here - a lot of pretty good episodes of Dynamite are being judged by their low point and not their high. Maybe this is how WWE TV criticism has looked over the last few year, maybe it's the opposite, you tell me. In fairness, I do think that Pillman's had enough bad TV segments to prove that he doesn't belong on television. I just figure the talking point of the episode should be a Fenix vs. Dante match that nailed what it was supposed to do. But the human mind fixates on negative patterns as a survival instinct and shit~

Rampage was kinda dope. No spoilers, promise. It should play well on this board. Post-Becky-Talkin'-Shit they run the first half of a 20 minute Mercedes vs. Deonna keeper and we all wonder where the heat is - but the Hayter/Britt vs. Toni/Ruby Rampage opener woulda been a WAY better call for Dynamite. Then we got a pretty long and pretty great Riho vs. Yuka joint that's probably gonna get clipped. They kinda forced the nearfalls ECW-style but it works. AEW women's matches have a heat problem when the bell rings, it's a demographic issue that's pretty obvious if you've attended multiple shows. The talent tend to fix it themselves if they have enough time but with AEW TV time being so limited you run into an ugly effect-and-cause problem. Is the division not over because it isn't featured or is it not featured because it isn't over? Toni Storm is a SHOT IN THE ARM. Jamie Hayter, Hikaru Shida, Serena Deeb (needs a mouthpiece), Riho. Hire Athena. That's your Smackdown Six. Britt is gonna stay over. Ruby's work has been really improving over the last month, her offense looks notably better. Nyla has crazy chemistry w/ Riho, Ruby, Rosa. Thread the needle, TK, the pieces are there.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Man, I don't know. If AEW is a company heavily featuring Johnny Gargano and spoiling HOOK with this Danhausen bullshit... Cesaro is right there but I think wpdougie is spot on with the bracket being custom tailored for shitbum Gargano. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, wpdougie2180 said:

The Joker is Gargano imo. Look at the brackets it would make so much sense. Gargano beats Joe because of Lethal, then beats O'Reilly and has the PPV match vs Cole for the Finals. He'd be a great representative of the Owen Hart tournament too. 

Ew.Please no.

Give me a Miro comeback please.

Miro v KOR & Allin v Harwood in the semi finals.

Miro vs Allin in the finals.

I know they'll push Cole but it could be a great catalyst for the Bucks to start questioning AC and building up Kenny's return.

• Like 3