DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 5/4/2022

Probably my last chance to do one of these for a while. (Just busy - with good things like work and family). (I'll still be watching every show, lurking here, and chiming in when I have a little spare time).

Today. On Dark. On Youtube. They announced an Owen Thingy match...

between...

Dante (Martin, of Top Flyte or maybe Top Flight)...

and...

Fenix.

That made me very happy.

Already announced were: Another Owen Qualifier, between Bobby the Fish and Brother Nemo. Are they gonna flood the tournament with Undisputed Elite guys? Or will Jeff win his first AEW singles match? Did you know Bobby Fish used to be called Jerk Jackson? 

BCC vs Angelico, Butch(er) and Blade. You realise this means Wheeler vs Angelico on the mat, right?

Wardlow vs MJF's Secret Mystery Opponent who is seven feet tall,which is a thing that cannot be taught. 

I wanna see a seven-footer get powerbombed. Doubt I am the only one.

Jericho vs Santana, following up The Fireball Incident. I expect extra helpings of violence here.

And Purrazzo vs Mercedes! For the ROH Women's belt! They could steal the show, like Shida and Deeb did last week.

Dark was super entertaining today. I fully suggest you watch it if you haven't already. or even if you have, but you have time to kill.

I am cautiously optimistic that this week's Dynamite will be structured and paced similar to last week's Rampage, with an extra pinch of interviews and other segments to space out the matches and let things breathe a tiny bit more. I really enjoyed that. Just a small tweak, but it felt like a genuine improvement. 

Also, I love that we are getting weekly free doses of Blackpool Combat Club. It remains an amazing time to be a pro wrestling fan.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Gordlow said:

Bobby the Fish and Brother Nemo. Are they gonna flood

Heh

I want half the wrestlers on the show to lose their gear in some kind of airline snafu, and then they have to take turns sharing Shida's gear from last week.

Dante vs Fenix: Should be crazy and awesome.  Even crazy awesome.

Wardlow vs W. Morrissey: I'm glad he worked his shit out but I don't care about Big Cass in the least and his new name is dumb.  I just saw nZo on the Wrestlecon show and how did we ever think that guy was a good talker?  He's still doing the same "pull my string and I'll say my same tired lines" act from before my kid was born and she's 7 now.

Jericho vs Santana: hate filled goodness!

Fish vs Hardy: I'm ambivalent

Purrazzo vs Martinez: Should be GREAT!

BCC vs Butcher, Blade, & Angelico: I, too, want to see Angelico roll with Danielson or Yuta sometime before his team's inevitable demise.  Remember when he flew off Dario's office on LU?  That was crazygonuts.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This line-up is suggesting to me that tough competition like the NBA Playoffs is a great time for the core fans. Dante-Fenix is definitely in my 'dream match' folder. Equally stoked for the AEW debut of Deonna Purrazzo, and against the excellent Mercedes. If W Morrissey v Wardlow is anywhere near as good as the Archer match, that'll be a helluva bout.  Fish-Hardy, yeah sure, I dig it!  BCC-AFO right the fuck on!  And wow that Lord Regal promo on the Road To was blowaway. Oh, and Santana v Jericho, gladly.     

• Like 3

I get that they're doing a whole Undisputed Elite thing with this tournament, but there's something to be said about the fact Jeff actually shared a ring with Owen, including giving Owen the best damn flip bump he could off of his clothesline twice, three and a half years apart. Hell look at the way he bumped off the apron for Owen to set up the finish for the tag match.

Spoiler

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I wasn't aware that the ROH Women's title was in dispute until tonight. The fans behind the hard cam seemed like they wanted to go home.

Also, I guess the storyline is that the Varsity Blonds are idiots and Julia Hart has a light sensitivity that can only be cured by getting her to an eye doctor.

Rampage will be airing after The Accountant on Friday Night. Tradition!

1 minute ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

If the Joker isn't Claudio, and if we don't get Claudio vs. Joe, Claudio vs. Fenix, and Claudio vs. Darby in that order, then TK isn't the wrestling nerd I think he is.

My money is on either Claudio or Kushida. 

• Like 2

Cool moment for both Mercedes and Deonna to get the main event slot. The winner was never in doubt but nice match between the two of them. And cool to have Mercedes actually tap Deonna out. 

• Like 3

Wow a tale of two hours this week.

Man the crowd was molten hot for the start of the show all the way through making Wardlow look like peak Goldberg over. Then hour two fell off a cliff. That awful Pillman promo and the whole mess of a House of Black segment. The Rosa promo. Throwing two women out in the main with a combined like ONE AEW TV match between them. Just a lot of odd choices that murdered that crowd.

But man that Wardlow segment made up for all of it. He looked like $2million bucks.

Also why even do Fenix vs Dante if we're missing cool ass shit and more than half of the match to a commercial?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

Well - turning Hangman heel is certainly a choice.

Is he a heel? Punk went pretty hard at Eddie, and he still came out of that as a babyface. They can thread this needle. Besides, Punk's fighting a home town guy next week which can potentially even out the crowd should they come face to face. 

• Like 2

Reporting live. Weird technical issues before the show (entrance music/vids not playing, clock by the hard cam going out) so they're completing the Dark Elevation taping now. If Mark n Show sound exhausted, or if the Rampage crowd is yawning, that's why.

A "better than the card" show but god damnit we were all here for some Julia Hart heel shit. Pillman's promo was baffling. Purrazzo/Martinez were set up to fail but I thought the actual work was very good. Dante/Fenix was exactly what it should have been and exactly what the show needed. Wardlow segment was exquisite.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 7

Lot of... odd promos tonight.

The Blondes really need a vet with them like a lot of the other young acts do, especially as a mouthpiece. The promo from Dark was all kinds of bad too. Kind of surprised on the fakeout with Julia there, I think we're decidingly into shit or get off the pot territory with this though, like it has go SOMEWHERE by DoN, right? Thought it was weird they showed Julia still there during Fenix's ring introduction looking shook, thought that could have been another week of her sulking on the steps.

I'm trying not to see that as a Hangman heel turn for no reason and I get Hangman's thing has been getting more confident through each of his defenses but this just felt off. Does he really have an old grudge against Punk that's not being addressed? I'd get if this was building off "Punk's secretly an asshole" like the Kingston program set up but there was just none of that there.

Rosa and Serena's promo.... okay so I teach high school english and I try to help my kids be more efficient in their writing when necessary, everyone knew that segment was leading to a title match which, match should be dope, but even Rosa could have just been "I KNOW WHERE THIS IS GOING, I ACCEPT"

Wrestling was.... fine tonight. Feeling like we're getting the same BCC match week after week. Brackets for the Owen cup are definitely promising though. Sad Deonna lost but maybe now she can [post that should be on the Thursday thread] go back after the Impact title now.

Loving how MJF knows how much he gets under people's skin that he can put people through hell just for the chance to punch him in the face. Wondering if there's going to be a cage match in there somewhere playing off how the first real schism with those two was Wardlow losing the cage match to YEEAAAAH.

• Like 2

Pillman segment was entirely pointless and a miss. 

Main event was just there really.

Hangman's new theme

Good first hour, still pretty good show overall, but definitely some swing and miss this week.

• Like 2

The whole angle with the Blondes/HOB has gone on forever and the payoff was...another face team running off HOB? Pillman's promo wasn't good and that resolution (or lack thereof) didn't do it any favors either.

Starting the main event women's title match at 10:51 wasn't exactly a good look either.

Rest of the show, especially Fenix/Martin was good. BCC really need a group theme to come out together when they're in tags/trios matches.