DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2022 - THE QUEST~!

Dolfan in NYC

Ignoring the lack of defense and the bad goaltending in the Calgary/Edmonton game, let's talk about the commentary for a moment...

I generally like Buccigross - more as a host than PBP guy, which is definitely not his strong suit but he's decent - and Boucher.  They're alright.  Last night was not their best though.  After Milan Lucic got a penalty for knocking Connor McDavid down with a bodycheck after the whistle, these two watched replay after replay and absolutely could not figure out why Lucic got a penalty.  They were completely baffled.  Then they brought in "rules analyst" Dave Jackson, who was also completely baffled.  Man, no wonder NHL officiating stinks so much if former referees like Dave Jackson can't understand why decking a guy after the whistle is a penalty.  

Kudos to Steve Levy and the studio crew who rightly called it an obvious penalty in the intermission because the hit came after the whistle.

Also kudos to Connor McDavid, who continues to play out of his mind.  With the 4 points he scored last night, he's got 18 in 8 games so far - the most through 8 games for anyone since Super Mario in 1992.

9 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Hockey fucking sucks. 

That was literally exactly how the Sabres lost a game this year at the World's Most Overrated Arena I was at.

• Sad 1

Another dominant performance from McDavid as Edmonton ties their series. He's now 5th in playoff points per game at 1.38. One of the guys ahead of him? Barry Pederson. Barry. Pederson. Barry was a tremendous scorer early on his career and managed to average over 1.5 points in the playoffs. 

Some occasionally-smart guy said this a few weeks back:

So much for Florida winning the Cup this year.  Just a friendly reminder that nobody in the President's Trophy - Trophy not Cup, ya rube - era of the NHL has won the Stanley Cup with more than 118 points.  Florida has 122.

Sometimes I manage a nugget of truth. 

I've actually seen some Florida fans blaming Sergei Bobrovsky for this loss as if he's somehow supposed pull out wins when his team is scoring less than 1 goal per game.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

I've actually seen some Florida fans blaming Sergei Bobrovsky for this loss as if he's somehow supposed pull out wins when his team is scoring less than 1 goal per game.

I mean, he took zero shots didn't he?  

Case close. 

• Like 1

The Oilers just won a playoff game in which the two biggest highlights were Kassian and Archibald running into each other like Looney Tunes villains, and Mike Smith shitting the bed from over 130 feet.

I can't even begin to explain this series. Other than saying McDavid is barely human.

What a game last night in Denver.  Colorado goes up 3-0, St. Louis ties it.  Then Nathan MacKinnon completes a hat trick with a "hold up, I'm a superstar and going to dominate here for a second" end-to-end rush goal that was just amazing to put Colorado up 4-3.  St. Louis ties it with the goalie pulled and then scores in OT to win it.  Great stuff.

Edited by Tabe

Connor McDavid scores in OT to send Calgary home for year. 

Leon Draisaitl had 3+ points in all 5 games in the series. 17 points in 5 games. Unbelievable. 

I guess it is because I keep telling myself "the rebuild is ahead of schedule" that I'm okay if the Rangers do eventually get eliminated

But good Lord do I not want to root for any of the other Eastern teams. Fucking Tampa

I've been checked out of hockey for years but what I've been seeing from these playoffs have been so great. Shame the Battle of Alberta only went 5 but helluva 5 games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jiji said:

I've been checked out of hockey for years but what I've been seeing from these playoffs have been so great. Shame the Battle of Alberta only went 5 but helluva 5 games.

No kidding.  What a crazy series.