DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2022 - THE QUEST~!

Dolfan in NYC

FRkXLKWWUAE4yLy?format=jpg&name=large

I'd be remiss if I didn't say that I was excited and terrified of this.  But, this is my team's best chance ever....  

so LET'S FUCKING GO.   

Games begin tomorrow with Carolina/Boston.

16 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Any guesses on the supplemental discipline for Jared Spurgeon for this wildly (see what I did there?) dirty intent-to-injure crosscheck? 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/33846963/nhl-department-player-safety-review-cross-check-minnesota-wild-jared-spurgeon-st-louis-blues

In my world he could get started on his golf game, but in NHL reality he's likely to get 1 game.

My wife broke her ankle years ago and still has ill effects to this day.

It's really triggering to see someone try that.

9 hours ago, Travis Sheldon said:

In my world he could get started on his golf game, but in NHL reality he's likely to get 1 game.

My wife broke her ankle years ago and still has ill effects to this day.

It's really triggering to see someone try that.

I'm with you.  That crosscheck made me really angry.  I would honestly give something like 20 games for it.  I'd be shocked if he got more than a fine.  I love that the refs saw it and decided it was only worth 2 minutes.  NHL officiating is so awful.

Edit: The NHL apparently handed down their decision an hour before I posted this.  As I expected, just a fine.  $5000.  What a joke.  Amazingly, the Wild fans on Reddit fan are pretty universally in agreement he should've been suspended.

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

Holy shit, I just watched that. That's low key one of the dirtiest things I think I've ever seen in an NHL game. Like it's not clubbing someone over the head, but its a move so clearly without any intention but to snap his ankle.

The only solution is to retract the Minnesota Wild franchise and install your Winnipeg Jets in the playoffs in their place.

It's so ridiculous that the NHL penalizes outcomes rather than intent.  Kyle Clifford got a game for boarding - probably deserved - because his target got hurt even though he wasn't really trying to injure (intimidate, punish?  Sure.  Injure?  Doubtful).  Jared Spurgeon was absolutely trying to injure but, because Buchnevich's foot and ankle happened to rotate during the act, he was basically uninjured.  What Spurgeon did was far, far worse but he gets a pass because he's "a good guy" whose intent to injure was ineffective.  That's BS.

I am so happy my aging has changed the way I engage with sports.

10 years ago I would have stayed up to watch that entire miserable experience

7 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

?

Oh you would hate DC sports talk this morning

They have the Caps sweeping now

WE KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO WIN THE PRESIDENT'S CUP AND BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND~!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh you would hate DC sports talk this morning

They have the Caps sweeping now

WE KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO WIN THE PRESIDENT'S CUP AND BE ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST ROUND~!

Got my tix for game 3 before yesterday's game for $70 via TickPick. They are now close to $110. I made the right call. Since you are a local is there any cheap breakfast place you would recommend as I get to Union Station at 6am?

Unfortunately - the words cheap and DC do not go together.

That being said - ignoring the chains inside Union Station - there are a bunch of stuff within a few blocks walk in the direction (due West from Union Station for all intents and purposes) that is in between Union Station and Cap One Arena. Just will depend on what you are interested in.

Just know that since it will be a Saturday - a lot of places might not open till 7 AM (some might not open till 8 AM)

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Got my tix for game 3 before yesterday's game for $70 via TickPick. They are now close to $110. I made the right call. Since you are a local is there any cheap breakfast place you would recommend as I get to Union Station at 6am?

I imagine Chinatown has all sorts of cheap joints. ?

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 5:05 AM, RIPPA said:

I am so happy my aging has changed the way I engage with sports.

10 years ago I would have stayed up to watch that entire miserable experience

West coast life, baby.  I love having 3 OT games ending at 9pm.

12 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Rangers and Panthers have both decided to stop fucking around

a) That's much more like it.  

b) Seth Rollins would tell Shesterkin to calm down with that bump he took yesterday.

On 5/4/2022 at 4:35 PM, sabremike said:

I'll give you a recommendation Mike.  From Union Station, it's walkable (though I'm an insane NYC person who'll walk anywhere) or a quick metro ride, but make it a point to have breakfast at Ted's Bulletin. It's in the Capitol Hill/Navy Yard area.  

Get there early, because it's plenty busy by 9am.  

But when you're there, get the homemade pop tarts. They're fucking amazing.  (Frankly everything is great, but the poptarts were insane.)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

a) That's much more like it.  

b) Seth Rollins would tell Shesterkin to calm down with that bump he took yesterday.

Funny to hear the different takes from commentators.  I watched the MSG feed of the game and they completely blamed Carter unlike the SN guys, who blamed Shesterkin.  Personally, I blame Carter - yeah, he's trying to cut the corner or whatever but it's his job to avoid the goalie and he's gotta know the goalie will be there.  Also, he stuck out his arm/shoulder.