DVDVR Message Board

NJPW Best of the Super Juniors 29. Participants announced...

The Natural

FRqea8xVUAAB3aG?format=jpg&name=small

This year’s Best of the Super Junior tournament begins on May 15 in Aichi and ends on June 3 in Budokan Hall.

Wheeler Yuta. Hell yeah! Hopefully this means AEW representation in G1 Climax 32. Bryan Danielson, please and thank you.

Wouldn't take a lot to pass as a fresh line up after the last couple of years, but this is an actually fresh line up. Feels like a few names are going to come out of this bigger than when they went in.

Thought BOSJ would be perfect for AEW to send guys that either they aren't using or need seasoning so nuts that they've sent the current hotness over to this thing.

Dropping a link to the announcement vid in case anyone likes the whole announcer/mugshot deal like I do:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Salads said:

Thought BOSJ would be perfect for AEW to send guys that either they aren't using or need seasoning so nuts that they've sent the current hotness over to this thing.

While I get this line of thinking from AEW fans I'm not sure why they assumed NJPW would want or be fine with leftovers. Wheeler makes sense considering Bryan and Moxley want to work Japan. Might as well use the whole of BCC.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Salads said:

Wouldn't take a lot to pass as a fresh line up after the last couple of years, but this is an actually fresh line up. Feels like a few names are going to come out of this bigger than when they went in.

Dropping a link to the announcement vid in case anyone likes the whole announcer/mugshot deal like I do:

I do too. Cheers.

C&P from f4wonline.com:

Here are the top matches from each night of the Best of the Super Juniors tournament:

• May 15, Nagoya: SHO vs. Taiji Ishimori
  • May 17, Sakata: El Desperado vs. Titan
  • May 18, Sendai: Hiromu Takahashi vs. Francesco Akira
  • May 19, Hachinohe: El Desperado vs. TJP
  • May 20, Aomori: Taiji Ishimori vs. Alex Zayne
  • May 22, Akita: Wheeler Yuta vs. El Desperado
  • May 24, Korakuen Hall: El Desperado vs. El Lindaman, Taiji Ishimori vs. SHO
  • May 25, Korakuen Hall: Hiromu Takahashi vs. YOH, Master Wato vs. El Desperado
  • May 26, Korakuen Hall: Robbie Eagles vs. El Phantasmo, Hiromu Takahashi vs. SHO
  • May 28, Makuhari: El Desperado vs. DOUKI, Hiromu Takahashi vs. Alex Zayne
  • May 28, Ota: Robbie Eagles vs. El Desperado, Francesco Akira vs. Taiji Ishimori

The card on May 31 in Toyama will be decided by league standing. The winners of the A Block and B Block will then meet in the finals at Budokan Hall on June 3.

Really pumped for this tournament, not familiar with Ace Austin but based on DEAN's reaction I'm very interested to see what he can do. Block B looks to be the more interesting block to me with Despy, Robbie, Lindaman, ELP, Yuta, DOUKI. Based on the matches announced on the last show, I'm guessing Despy/ELP will be for the finals spot for Block B. 

Block A...probably some combo of SHO/YOH and Hiromu/Ishimori to decide the Block A final with those matches on the last night as well (anyone but SHO...).

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

Watched the first 2 nights, night 1 with a full crowd felt nearly like normal (without the cheering) but nothing really special in the matches. It felt more like a show to establish the newcomers, which is fine. Austin/Connors was a pretty fun 10 minute match though. 

Night 2, despite being in front of a small country town crowd, was actually a really fun show! Desperado/Titan, Eagles/Yuta and Lindaman/DOUKI all well worth checking out. Eagles and Yuta I think had really good chemistry, and I wouldn't hate them having a rematch for the ROH Pure Title maybe on a Forbidden Door pre-show match or something. 

My gut thinks Despy is winning the whole thing. If Ishimori wasn't champion, ELP would be my pick as I think they'll reward his loyalty through the pandemic with a good singles run, maybe later in the year. 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Kanemaru vs Zayne on night 1. It just clicked for me far better than I thought it would. Also enjoyed SHO vs Akira for what it was, even if SHO shenanigans are tiresome.

Ishimori is so hit & miss, when it turns it on he's good but boy he seems to turn it on less & less as time goes by.

9 hours ago, Horangi said:
  Hide contents

Watched the first 2 nights, night 1 with a full crowd felt nearly like normal (without the cheering) but nothing really special in the matches. It felt more like a show to establish the newcomers, which is fine. Austin/Connors was a pretty fun 10 minute match though. 

Night 2, despite being in front of a small country town crowd, was actually a really fun show! Desperado/Titan, Eagles/Yuta and Lindaman/DOUKI all well worth checking out. Eagles and Yuta I think had really good chemistry, and I wouldn't hate them having a rematch for the ROH Pure Title maybe on a Forbidden Door pre-show match or something. 

My gut thinks Despy is winning the whole thing. If Ishimori wasn't champion, ELP would be my pick as I think they'll reward his loyalty through the pandemic with a good singles run, maybe later in the year. 

Pretty much in full agreement with you on nights 1 and 2.  I'll have to dig a little deeper to find out if Despy/Titan have ever wrestled each other before, but I'd love to see them do it again.  They are tremendous together.  B Block seems likely to produce some really wild match-ups.  There's an immense amount of talent in that group.  

After watching Strong for so long now, Clark Connors' theme song sounds so great on a bigger stage and on a more professional sound system, and what makes it even better is that it doesn't seem to match his overall character at all.  It's completely fucking absurd and awesome.  

12 hours ago, Kropotkin's Beard said:

Ishimori is so hit & miss, when it turns it on he's good but boy he seems to turn it on less & less as time goes by.

So true, I remember how good his BoSJ in 2018 (?) was against Hiromu, and don't think he's ever come close to that since. In regards to the YOH match, I just don't get YOH...I want to get YOH but I just can't understand why I just can't so for me, a sleepwalking Ishimori against someone I'm so apathetic towards was always going to be a disappointment. Apparently his match with Taguchi was good last night, haven't seen it yet due to the awesome GLEAT show, will catch up on Friday when they have a travel day. 

I think El Lindaman summed it up pretty well in his NJPW website interview - Block A has more of the big, colourful characters and Block B is the workers block. 

Finally caught up!

Night 3 was mostly fun, Hiromu v Akira was really good! I have seen some Francesco Akira in AJPW and didnt rate him, but he held his own and is starting to win me over. Kanemaru v Austin is worth a look too but yeah, Ishimori/Taguchi wasn't great...

Night 4...again B Block feels like they have their working boots on, Lindaman and Titan working like they were in the main, impressive as Lindaman had to be hurting after his brutal war with Irie the night before. Despy/TJP and Yuta/DOUKi were really fun too.

Night 5...finally a good Ishimori match! Maybe some new guys to work with sill light a fire in him.  Zayne really should be a NJPW regular. Same with Austin, he and Hiromu had a good match too.

Been a fun tournament so far, the fresh matches really contributing to it.  If I had to pick a top 5 so far in no order: Desperado v Titan, Hiromu v Akira, Ishimori v Zayne, Lindaman v Titan, Eagles v Yuta. 

On 5/21/2022 at 6:46 AM, Horangi said:

Been a fun tournament so far, the fresh matches really contributing to it.  If I had to pick a top 5 so far in no order: Desperado v Titan, Hiromu v Akira, Ishimori v Zayne, Lindaman v Titan, Eagles v Yuta. 

Eagles v Yuta was excellent. Thanks to you and everyone for posting suggested highlights.