DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2022

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Let’s just look at this hypothetically, as a thought experiment.

Wardlow really needs to beat MJF. It’s the hottest story in the company and he’s the biggest, most over rising star. 

Let’s say MJF is gone. 

You’re Tony Khan.

What do you do?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Tony addresses the crowd. Declares it a win by forfeit and awards Wardlow a contract. As a make good, Wardlow vs Miro right there on the spot.

I feel like if you are losing out on the one match that had massive build, you have to announce a replacement. I ain't paying $50 for a show without Wardlow/MJF. No fucking way. 

This is brutal though. MJF was their one guy they could build around for the next 20 years because he has the complete package of character, promo, and in-ring work none of the other young guys come close to. A few of them are better in the ring but that's about it. Dude is a star and Khan should not have let it get to this point.

• Like 2

Five minutes of thought: Give Andrade a big payday to fly in a couple of days after his wedding. And play up something with the Andrade Family Office claiming the contract though it’s bs and have him literally run through all of them one at a time (or two at a time) to crazy pops before Andrade takes a powder. And Wardlow has his next mini-feud. 

• Like 2

Miro seems the obvious replacement. He'd been in Europe until recently but Fightful said they didn't know if he was attending the show or not. 

OR, if you have somebody like Claudio in contract talks, get his ass to Mars/Vegas ASAP.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Five minutes of thought: Give Andrade a big payday to fly in a couple of days after his wedding. And play up something with the Andrade Family Office claiming the contract though it’s bs and have him literally run through all of them one at a time (or two at a time) to crazy pops before Andrade takes a powder. And Wardlow has his next mini-feud. 

I'd like to see Wardlow destroy the rank and file of the AFO

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I’d like it, but MJF-Wardlow is one of the key pieces of this card. Surely a substitute of comparable value is needed, no? Which is why I break glass on a big name hoss off with a returning Miro.

• Like 2

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Assuming he even can be reached wherever he and Charlotte have gone on their honeymoon.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I think Tony is also a kind-natured enough human being that he’d just leave someone on their honeymoon. I’d hope.

It’s pretty clear by now that he has the priorities of a 2004 DVDVR poster, for good and ill.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

You know, with as much as Tony Khan loved Mid-South, I wonder if he's really resisting the urge to recreate Bill Watts burying Junkyard Dog and make Wardlow his Butch Reed in saying Wardlow scared MJF so much he ran out of town.

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

It’s pretty clear by now that he has the priorities of a 2004 DVDVR poster, for good and ill.

Torn between "haha" and "sad" reactions...

/me flips a coin... 

I guess we can’t have an elaborate skit where Jericho tries to burn Regal but gets a MJF stunt double and we put Spears under a mask as Mr. MJF.

My second best actual idea is having him take Spears’ and Sterling’s hair like this is 1978 Memphis.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I guess we can’t have an elaborate skit where Jericho tries to burn Regal but gets a MJF stunt double and we put Spears under a mask as Mr. MJF.

My second best actual idea is having him take Spears’ and Sterling’s hair like this is 1978 Memphis.

We can still have him betting his wife's hair and daring Eddie Kingston to bet his wife's hai-... wait.

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

yeah, good luck with finding anything close to an acceptable make-good if half of one of the biggest matches on the card no-shows

between this and Sasha/Naomi... old timey belligerent wrestlers messing up cards is baaaaack?

Yep. And fans of drama are eating good.

• Thanks 1

Can’t really bring in a Japanese star since that’s the gimmick for the next PPV. Sting’s hurt. Bray probably isn’t in ring shape. You need the potential CSRO debut elsewhere.

I wonder what a Wardlow/LA Park match would look like.

Edited by Matt D
  • Haha 1

Pay Impact to the rights to the name Monster’s Ball. Have Wardlow, Lance Archer, Butcher, and Luther immediately locked away in separate dark rooms without food or water until the start of the match. Winner gets a title shot or to join Jericho’s group. 

• Haha 3

There's probably a distinction to be made between Sasha and Naomi walking out on a TV main event (with four other people in it) that wasn't even announced until the show started, and MJF (potentially) walking out on a marquee match on PPV (of which AEW only runs four a year) that's literally been built to for three years.

Edited by Dog