DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2022

I don't like the idea of the Owen belts or whatever being defended. Just give the previous year's winner a bye in the qualifying matches the following year. I'm happy with the TNT and TBS titles, just gotta rehab that TNT one since Cody and Sammy have absolutely fucked that thing up. Let Konosuke Takeshita beat Scorpio Sky for the title and then go on an open challenge spree for like 4 months straight before losing it to someone else.

• Like 10

I am hoping the TNT belt getting smashed means we're getting a new one that looks more in line with the mostly-gold design of the world and women's titles.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

I am hoping the TNT belt getting smashed means we're getting a new one that looks more in line with the mostly-gold design of the world and women's titles.

Lakers inspired belt incoming for next week, almost guaranteed. Every champion so far has gotten their own version of the belt, no?

• Like 2

I'd love to know the logic behind Eddie Kingston wearing 'burnt make-up' one week and having a clean and clear face the next. It's strange that a guy like Kingston who puts such great detail into his selling would be so careless. 

21 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'd love to know the logic behind Eddie Kingston wearing 'burnt make-up' one week and having a clean and clear face the next. It's strange that a guy like Kingston who puts such great detail into his selling would be so careless. 

I think the logic here is that the damage was minimal. It wasn't like a third degree burn that's going to scar him for life. It was superficial. He missed two weeks of TV. Showed up on week 3 with what amounted to a healing scab from a minor burn. By week 4 the burn had healed. Not every injury has to do career long damage is the thought process here I'm thinking. Could be wrong of course, but that's how I took it story-wise.

Logistics wise, yeah having a "burn" rub off during a match is a bad look. And it's just not that important to the story that it be a long term injury. If he tried to have half his face taped up and the tape came off with nothing underneath that would also be a baddddd look.

Sometimes simple is better.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Because it would look even worse when his "burn" smears all over his face during a match?

They might've considered that when they decided to do the fireball in the first place. I'm partially glad nobody else gives a shit, but I can't imagine anything is learned from this miscalculation. I know it's pro wrestling, but a small standard of sense is always welcomed.

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I think the logic here is that the damage was minimal. It wasn't like a third degree burn that's going to scar him for life. It was superficial. He missed two weeks of TV. Showed up on week 3 with what amounted to a healing scab from a minor burn. By week 4 the burn had healed. Not every injury has to do career long damage is the thought process here I'm thinking. Could be wrong of course, but that's how I took it story-wise.

Logistics wise, yeah having a "burn" rub off during a match is a bad look. And it's just not that important to the story that it be a long term injury. If he tried to have half his face taped up and the tape came off with nothing underneath that would also be a baddddd look.

Sometimes simple is better.

It was dressed up with make up one week and bandaged. Two days later at the NJPW show he wore the bandage to the ring, had it fall off to reveal none of the faux scaring or whatever from 3 days earlier. 4 days after that he's on Dynamite with clear, clean skin. Fine, it didn't hit so hard, but don't sell it like it did or do the make up then. I think the Darkman idea or moreso some sort of half mask would've helped matters.

The irony of Ringside News posting that, when they went on a transphobic rant earlier this week (that same day?) about Nyla Rose winning the Women’s title.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Jesus, that's fucking offensive. Never seen this before.

I'm starting to feel like unless it's rape or murder or something at that level, maybe we just come up with an agreed-upon statute of limitations for people doing dumb shit.  "Scour the web, videotapes, etc for regrettable dirt on people to stoke the outrage machine and get clicks" should not be a valid full time career.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EVA said:

Yeah, let’s all agree to not aggregate Ringside News anymore.

I was going to say the exact same thing. There's a reason why they're banned from Reddit.

• Like 3

You could post gotcha bullshit on one wrestler per day and be able to keep a clickbait trash site in business for years. 

Now if you excuse me, I'm going to download the sleaze thread and put in my resignation.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

There’s a ton of these examples from the early to mid 2000s, too. Off the top of my head, Bryan Danielson just casually dropping the F slur in the Wrestling Road Diaries (and kind of being a prick/bully too). L

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Because it would look even worse when his "burn" smears all over his face during a match?

Honestly... the first thought I had when I saw this post was wondering if Hayabusa had burn makeup for his cornhole following the firecracker match.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

Jesus, that's fucking offensive. Never seen this before.

The Natural, I love ya dude, but giving Ringside News attention like this was not necessary. They've been doing this gotcha shit for years, and that's with their owner acting like an absolute scumbag.

Also, it's pretty clear where all this garbage is coming from. Not to mention, Ringside trying to deflect their own transgressions from earlier this week.

I'm not making excuses, but those old PWG shows are full of some pretty "offensive" and politically incorrect material. AJ Styles used to use a derogatory slur toward the LGBTQ community on the regular in the aughts. I'm not making excuses for AJ Styles, but those things happened. And I'm sure a lot of people on this forum are well aware they happened and saw him do it.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 5