DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2022

2 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'm definitely of the mind that KOR is the best of the Cole/Fish/KOR trio, so this makes me happy.  His match v Balor at Takeover 31 was incredible.  I want faux hawk, denim vest ass kicker KOR back though.

I kinda loved "Cool Kyle" bopping to the ring like bantam rooster in NXT. Would be great to see him get a solo push at some point in AEW.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StuntmanCrowley said:

I'm definitely of the mind that KOR is the best of the Cole/Fish/KOR trio, so this makes me happy.  His match v Balor at Takeover 31 was incredible.  I want faux hawk, denim vest ass kicker KOR back though.

2 hours ago, w. josh said:

Yeah, O'Reilly is the best wrestler of the three and has a goofy "weirdest kid on the football team" charisma that I'll take over the guy spamming a catchphrase and taunt all day. He's a fine TNT champ somewhere down the line. 

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

I kinda loved "Cool Kyle" bopping to the ring like bantam rooster in NXT. Would be great to see him get a solo push at some point in AEW.

Yeah, Kyle O'Reilly is definitely the best wrestler of the three. @StuntmanCrowley is right to bring up Finn Balor vs. O'Reilly at NXT TakeOver 31. That was one of the best NXT matches in years.

9 hours ago, Casey said:

In news that I'm 100% positive some people will absolutely LOVE:

Kyle O'Reilly has supposedly signed a 5 year extension

I f'n love KOR... he is also one of those guys that just looks best with a belt. If he was a young gun I'd have him in the Yuta role with Dragon & Mox

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

I just want O'Reilly to have a "Shoresy" gimmick when he leaves the Undisputed Elite

If O'reilly tells someone to give their balls a tug on TV I will buy all of his shirts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The KOR love puzzles me. As far as the Owen goes, I could see him losing to Joe and running Sting/Darby vs. reDRagon…

Edited by just drew
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

KOR has that greasy slimy dude who can systematically break your limbs vibe and it's great for a heel.

I remember in 2012 when Kyle and Davey were teaming as very serious generic scientific wrestlers and then they did a one-night gimmick in PWG teaming with Joey Ryan where they both acted like slimy scumbags, complete with Kyle dousing himself in baby oil and doing the Rick Rude swivel as the fans chanted "SLEAZY KYLE!"  It was wild seeing the dude show that much personality.

A few years later, a match was booked featuring Cole & The Bucks vs Dalton Castle and The Boys.  It sounded like an awful mismatch until "The Boys" that accompanied Castle that night turned out to be O'Reilly and Fish, wrestling the whole match in glittery masks, barefoot, in sarongs. 

So yeah, he's got great personality and charisma...it just took a while to come out over the course of like 10 years!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

@The NaturalIt's a bummer too, because it seemed like they were on the precipice of something with possible-babyface-Scorp at the end of Rampage the other week. He's just not doing it for me as a heel. I don't know if it's a) that my brain just automatically thinks babyface because of the earlier SCU stuff or b) that Lambert and Page are a little more effective in that area, or c) they needed better foils than Sammy/Tay, but I just can't get into it no matter how I try.

I like the idea of a soft-reboot of the whole division. Miro eating both guys up and taking back what's his seems logical. Giving Wardlow some extra juice on his ascent would work. Lance Archer could finally get his due - same for Eddie Kingston. If ROH ends up never getting TV, Joe could unify it with the TV title. Lots of ways to go.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I remember in 2012 when Kyle and Davey were teaming as very serious generic scientific wrestlers and then they did a one-night gimmick in PWG teaming with Joey Ryan where they both acted like slimy scumbags, complete with Kyle dousing himself in baby oil and doing the Rick Rude swivel as the fans chanted "SLEAZY KYLE!"  It was wild seeing the dude show that much personality.

A few years later, a match was booked featuring Cole & The Bucks vs Dalton Castle and The Boys.  It sounded like an awful mismatch until "The Boys" that accompanied Castle that night turned out to be O'Reilly and Fish, wrestling the whole match in glittery masks, barefoot, in sarongs. 

So yeah, he's got great personality and charisma...it just took a while to come out over the course of like 10 years!

For years I couldn't stand the guy, just another "My Gimmicks Is That Pro Wrestling Is Real" dude from the deeply uninspiring post-Punk/Joe/Danielson era, Cornette RoH bullshit that made me check out of any indies that weren't CHIKARA. Davey Richards, Roderick Strong, Eddie Edwards, Kyle O'Reily, I just could not. But I learned to tolerate KOR in PWG as it always felt a little less self-serious and once he got polished up by the Performance Center I've come around on the guy because he's a very good, totally natural stooge. I don't think anybody else can balance big match unnecessary-mouthguard pro wrestling with "I am going to make silly faces and enthusiastically eat the pin in this tag match" quite like him. Apologies to *checks notes* Manabu Nakanishi, I guess.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@The NaturalIt's a bummer too, because it seemed like they were on the precipice of something with possible-babyface-Scorp at the end of Rampage the other week. He's just not doing it for me as a heel. I don't know if it's a) that my brain just automatically thinks babyface because of the earlier SCU stuff or b) that Lambert and Page are a little more effective in that area, or c) they needed better foils than Sammy/Tay, but I just can't get into it no matter how I try.

I like the idea of a soft-reboot of the whole division. Miro eating both guys up and taking back what's his seems logical. Giving Wardlow some extra juice on his ascent would work. Lance Archer could finally get his due - same for Eddie Kingston. If ROH ends up never getting TV, Joe could unify it with the TV title. Lots of ways to go.

Such a shame because the TNT Championship was a secondary championship that meant something. Eddie Kingston should have beat Miro at All Out for it and if not there, at AEW Grand Slam Dynamite.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Davey Richards, Roderick Strong, Eddie Edwards, Kyle O'Reily, I just could not.

The best part was when the American Wolves split up and one of them teamed with Strong and the other teamed with O'Reilly and in 2022 I can't, with any degree of certainty, tell you who teamed with who because that's how aggressively bland the whole deal was.

Speaking of bland white guy traits, I've seen Davey wrestle more during his recent return -- he got his massive tribal tattoo lasered off and I'd love to know the story behind that reasoning.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

My brain still says "Sleazy Kyle" whenever he's acting all goofy on screen. I wouldn't oppose a Sleazy Kyle/Orange Cassidy match

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, eikerir said:

My brain still says "Sleazy Kyle" whenever he's acting all goody on screen. I wouldn't oppose a Sleazy Kyle/Orange Cassidy match

Looking it up online, it was night 2 of BOLA 2012.  Their one night joke team name was "Team Statutory" and holy fuck 2012 was a different time and that did not age well.  Oh and Drake Younger was on the other team and now I'm wondering what the record is for total number of "guys who turned out to be garbage human beings" in one match is.   Did Michael Elgin ever team with Marty Scurll and Jerry Lawler on a fairgrounds show anywhere?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Looking it up online, it was night 2 of BOLA 2012.  Their one night joke team name was "Team Statutory" and holy fuck 2012 was a different time and that did not age well.  Oh and Drake Younger was on the other team and now I'm wondering what the record is for total number of "guys who turned out to be garbage human beings" in one match is.   Did Michael Elgin ever team with Marty Scurll and Jerry Lawler on a fairgrounds show anywhere?

The year after Trent, Chuckie and Joey Ryan also teamed up during BOLA with a "one night" joke name of Best Friends.

• Like 2

The TNT title angle is a mess, and they can't make up their minds what they are doing. The problem is that Guevara and Tay Conti are unlikable together onscreen. They were clearly made stand-ins for Cody and Brandi in that feud. The feud was not going well when it was Cody and Brandi because fans were already turning on them. 

I'm just not understanding how we went from Conti and Guevara going heel to now back to babyface and Kazarian has sided with them and Scorpio Sky is back as a full heel again. It's all very mish-mashy.

AEW started signing too many people they didn't have room or a plan for. It's not manageable. Dynamite programming is getting over-stuffed. Signing Tony Nese when you have a bunch of guys like Tony Nese on your roster who aren't really doing much was dumb.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, EVA said:

Sonny was a developmental prospect from the beginning, but AEW has “recruited over him,” to borrow a college football term, and that’s nobody’s fault.

Counterpoint: Sonny has looked great in recent Youtube matches and is over with the live crowd (from personal experience) and could very capably be in an 8-10 minute TV prelim match as a JTTS. At least as interesting as any of the lower tier Dark Order guys at this point.

• Like 2

With them introducing title belts for the Owen, it makes me think it would be a good time to have that replace the TNT and TBS titles. Do a unification match for each and do away with these network titles.

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

With them introducing title belts for the Owen, it makes me think it would be a good time to have that replace the TNT and TBS titles. Do a unification match for each and do away with these network titles.

You can argue a point for the TNT title due in part to the recent clusterfuck of title changes, but the TBS title has only had one champion and has never been anything more yet. No need to scrap it already.