DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2022

On 5/18/2022 at 5:25 PM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That's the name I got Lexy mixed up with.

As my point stated they are all interchangeable and generic so this is very on brand for my point lol.

I miss the run WWE/NXT had with generic brunettes that were of slight unknown ethnicity compared to the generic blonde lady run as of late. ?

23 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

New AEW trademark, BLOOD MOON RISING. Seems for PPV's. Increasing the amount of PPV's a year.

Do we prefer 6 or 4 PPVs a year? I know which my bank account prefers but they generally do a good job with PPVs. I've regretted a couple but that was more execution (the sparklers and the Matt Hardy concussion also killed my ability to enjoy that show too) than anything else.

DoN's build hasn't been the best. To the shock of nobody, MJF's feud has the most hype/best build going into a PPV and whoever said Punk/Hangman was missing a beat was spot on. Doesn't feel complete in its storytelling. Feel like the Jericho/Eddie stuff got watered down when they added in BCC though the match will be better for it. All the matches look very good on paper but not their best effort.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

Do we prefer 6 or 4 PPVs a year? I know which my bank account prefers but they generally do a good job with PPVs. I've regretted a couple but that was more execution (the sparklers and the Matt Hardy concussion also killed my ability to enjoy that show too) than anything else.

DoN's build hasn't been the best. To the shock of nobody, MJF's feud has the most hype/best build going into a PPV and whoever said Punk/Hangman was missing a beat was spot on. Doesn't feel complete in its storytelling. Feel like the Jericho/Eddie stuff got watered down when they added in BCC though the match will be better for it. All the matches look very good on paper but not their best effort.

To me, 6-8 is the sweet spot. I don’t like the idea of having one per month because it’s too structured. 4 weeks of tv then ppv, 4 weeks of tv then ppv. Doing less makes it feel a bit more organic and natural, but three months in between is way too long and they get these weird lulls in the feuds after a ppv is over. 

• Like 3

I'd say 4 PPVs and 4 themed Dynamites would work if you could get the spacing/ timing right. Also have Battle of The Belts be the only time AAA/ROH/NJPW/Impact titles get defended in AEW. Kinda feel like we are getting too many belts with all these title floating arounds

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm so glad this got brought up because I no bullshit was just thinking about this the other day. The amount of talent that AEW has, they could easily put on a PPV every two months if they wanted to. Hell, they could do one every month if they really wanted to.

But with that being said, the three months gives the perfect amount of time in my opinion to advance storylines without rush and allowing others to have a place on your show. If you do a PPV every month, you HAVE to have all those guys on pretty much every Dynamite - and that leaves less room for some of our favorites.

Plus, they have kind of expanded the PPV to 5 with the Forbidden Door in June. That for me seems to be perfect; 4 of your own PPVs and then 1 supercard for the global promotions/NJPW/whoever else may dip their toes in the future. It makes the PPVs feel special as we only get one every three months and I appreciate that.

Also, themed Dynamites are indeed the best. Jericho Cruise episode from a few years ago was so much fun, Grand Slam was a joy, give me more "unique environment" Dynamites and that's the formula.

• Like 5

Some more very interesting observations from Brandon Thurston's quarter hour analyses he releases periodically:

Two Dynamites ago, with the opener of Adam Cole vs. Dax Harwood, the show was right around 816k viewers. Decent opener. The next segment gained around 20k viewers and would continue to gain throughout most of the night.

The following Dynamite, with the main event of Adam Cole vs. Jeff Hardy, the viewership went from around 900k the segment before to cratering at 777k viewers for their match. 

Three weeks ago, when I pointed out people aren't watching Adam Cole when the ten man super elite tag lost substantial viewers, I was told "it was their jobber opponents." This is more evidence that people are actively tuning Adam Cole out. At what point do we stop pretending he's a star people will tune in to see?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, just drew said:

Some more very interesting observations from Brandon Thurston's quarter hour analyses he releases periodically:

Two Dynamites ago, with the opener of Adam Cole vs. Dax Harwood, the show was right around 816k viewers. Decent opener. The next segment gained around 20k viewers and would continue to gain throughout most of the night.

The following Dynamite, with the main event of Adam Cole vs. Jeff Hardy, the viewership went from around 900k the segment before to cratering at 777k viewers for their match. 

Three weeks ago, when I pointed out people aren't watching Adam Cole when the ten man super elite tag lost substantial viewers, I was told "it was their jobber opponents." This is more evidence that people are actively tuning Adam Cole out. At what point do we stop pretending he's a star people will tune in to see?

The huge drop-off on the last quarter-hour was set up by that unending, very unfortunate Serena Deeb promo. If you were like me, you were watching the clock tick and realizing the main event was going to go well short of 10 minutes. I do not think Adam Cole = Ratings but there isn't a person on the roster I would blame for those numbers that wasn't on the preceding quarter-hour.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, just drew said:

I don't often agree with you, but I agree with you.

• Like 2

More so than even that interminable Deeb promo, I would attribute that dip to timing issues resulting in them having to take not one but two commercial breaks during the last quarter hour. That is ratings poison.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, EVA said:

More so than even that interminable Deeb promo, I would attribute that dip to timing issues resulting in them having to take not one but two commercial breaks during the last quarter hour. That is ratings poison.

That’s actually an interesting point I hadnt considered…

Man, I really hope AEW is able to get Sasha. She would be such the biggest star in their division and matches with Rosa, Deeb, Cargill, Britt, maybe even Mercedes Martinez. And I keep getting this tag of Willow Nightingale and Sasha in my head that could just take over the wrestling world.

• Like 3

So, this is the kind of thing I like to think about, and since I got some positive feedback on my post about how I would pitch Alexa on coming to AEW if I were TK, here is how I would pitch Sasha Banks coming to AEW if I were TK;

A truckload of money. Just piles upon piles of American currency. While I think she overestimates her star power a bit, I would happily admit to her being the biggest star on aews womens roster the second she signs. Compensate her accordingly.

Creative input. Ask her who she wants to work. I’m unfamiliar with who the top female stars in Japan are currently, but I’m certain she does. Move heaven and earth to get her in the ring on the biggest stages against the best the world has to offer. On the AEW roster, the obvious dance partner is Jade Cargill. You build that right and you have the chance to do the biggest business you’ve ever done. I know she’s expressed interest in working Britt Baker and Jamie Hayter. Do it. Put it on featured Dynamites before big time nba games & cross promote the shit out of it. Get Shaq and Chuck going back and forth about who’s gonna win. Shaq rooting for Sasha and Chuck for Britt. Which brings me to…

Mainstream media attention. Again, I believe her culture footprint is about half the size she (and certain Stan’s) think it is, but that still dwarfs every woman in AEW and most of the guys. I think she’d actually be worth the investment here more than in the ring. If she gave you 12 matches a year and 125 media appearances promoting Dynamite & Rampage, that’s a home run. Put her in the ring at DoN 2023 with Paige Van Zant and send them both out on press and see if it doesn’t work like gangbusters.

One of the few things I’ve ever heard Jim Cornette say that I agree with (and maybe the only thing that doesn’t have to do with the Jackson’s and Dancing Kenny) is that the easiest way to make money in wrestling is to let stars be stars. You bend over backward to accommodate her “movie career,” keep her to about 12-15 matches a year, and make sure she’s on national tv at least once a week wearing your logo….

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I don't see why, in this fantasy world, Sasha Banks would be wrestling one match a month (more or less). AEW's schedule is vastly different from WWE, and unless it's a PPV weekend or they're doing a live Rampage, you only have Tuesday (travel day) and Wednesday (show day). That's five days she can do whatever she pleases - relax at home, shoot scenes for a movie/TV show, conventions, indies, whatever. Just give her the Punk schedule - he wrestles regularly, but is also given everything you mentioned like creative input (mostly everyone is?) and freedom for outside projects.

Personally, I don't see her jumping to AEW, but if she does, I do think she works better as a big fish in a little pond as opposed to just another fish in a very big pond that's filled with women with famous last names, famous ex-MMA stars and an Irish woman who is way more of a big deal now than Sasha has ever been presented as.

29 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Jade's wrestled 9 times this year. In about 19 weeks. But she's got a backstage interview about every week too. That feels about right.

His name is Maxwell Jacob Friedman, and he has a similar schedule.

Yeah, O'Reilly is the best wrestler of the three and has a goofy "weirdest kid on the football team" charisma that I'll take over the guy spamming a catchphrase and taunt all day. He's a fine TNT champ somewhere down the line. 

• Like 6

The fact that we’re getting Hardys/Bucks instead of an 8-man tag at the PPV certainly suggests we’re getting KOR/Cole in the Owen finals. So, possibly planting seeds for him to go solo once the UE story is done.

• Like 3