DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2022

1 minute ago, just drew said:

I don't see how MJF is a "can't lose." It would suck to lose him, but AEW does a fantastic job of building people up. They have turned regular guys into stars (Yuta, Garcia, Page, Dante) and could absolutely slot someone into the top heel spot. MJF is great, don't get me wrong, but #1: he'd be a shitty, watered down version of himself in WWE and #2: he'd have to wrestle so much he'd start to lose his luster. I just don't see this as some huge deal for TK. 

I don't disagree that they build up talent well and he would be watered down in WWE. I would have to imagine he would think the same thing.

But this IS the only guy with a win on CM Punk. The three time Dynamite diamond ring winner. For all the Jungle Boys, Ricky Starks, Darby Allin, Wheeler Yutas - MJF is the sure thing. He's already at that level those guys (sans MAYBE Darby) strive to be at. He is their franchise player, the foundational pillar. 

Maybe I overvalue him, but in a world where great truly hated heels are hard to come by, he is #1. And he just turned 26 at that. In my opinion, he is the perfect foundation for that companies next 5-15 years.

• Like 2

Nah, MJF is their #1 guy for the next ten years. The Fightful thing says that MJF recognizes that if he were to renegotiate his deal that they'd have to add time, so there's a disagreement between the two reports right there. I'll just paste it.

Fightful on the MJF contract talks:

The latest on MJF-AEW
In a follow up to the MJF-AEW story, we've learned more.

Thus far, we've not heard of any outright negotiations between the two sides. We haven't heard of a specific contract being offered to MJF, or MJF angling for anything particular. Anything else implying otherwise seems to be conjecture at this point. However, there have been overtures made towards MJF to launch contract talks that MJF hasn't seemed to outright address. There has been no indication of formal talks actually happening to this point, only that MJF continued to be frustrated after the initial heated conversation. Those that we've spoken to say that MJF doesn't typically speak about this interpersonally backstage, and that Tony Khan plays a lot of stuff like that close to the vest for obvious reasons. However, one talent indicated that Tony Khan claimed to them that he would obviously be willing to pay MJF comparable to other top stars.

There are plenty of differing opinions within the company on the situation. There were some that we spoke to that believe MJF outperformed his contracts, and others that believe it sets a bad precedent for the company to rework a deal. It's worth noting that several deals there have been reworked, but have also added time. We also have confirmed that from MJF's side of things, the effort isn't to gain more money without an extension because "contracts don't work like that."

Any time we've reached out to AEW and gained a response on matters like these, we're told that AEW does not discuss talent contracts publicly.

To clear up misconceptions, we've not heard of Cody Rhodes reaching out to AEW talent to bring them in, and we have no report of any kind in the works, contrary to online rumors.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Whereas I say: “His contract isn’t up for two years! Why are we talking about this instead of the Eddie Kingston match from last night?”

Wait ... was there an AEW show last night???

No, it was on the NJPW show in DC last night and I just watched that Kingston/Ishii match and thought it was pretty disappointing. Ishii's strikes were way too soft for Kingston selling that much, with a few nice lariats later on being exceptions. Also that kind of match demands a white hot audience to fully work and while there was some chanting and typical bullshit, there was not much sustained heat and the atmosphere killed it. Could do without Kingston doing Japanese sounds/"ask him" stuff too just because he's wrestling for NJPW, lol. ?

@Jiji vs @Matt D: Kingston on a pole match. Winner dictates whether Kingston wrestles like a Hokuto - Kawada - Hansen - teaching in Canada - Jack Evans should have been resigned mix or a Bockwinkel - Buddy Rose - Negro Casas - Ending segment should only be a certain percentage of match time - the 619 is not illogical based on the context it is often used mix. 
Best pre-show match ever.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Or pretend he has a wife when mimicking a Memphis angle?

As someone who occasionally calls his longtime live-in girlfriend his wife for the sake of simplifying the stories I tell to strangers, I don't get why this is a thing?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

As someone who occasionally calls his longtime live-in girlfriend his wife for the sake of simplifying the stories I tell to strangers, I don't get why this is a point of discussion.

I don’t think we have to go back to it just because I made a one liner but he said “wife of twenty years.” And…

so, MJF and Miz and a super team? Good stuff, huh guys? 

41 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I don’t think we have to go back to it just because I made a one liner but he said “wife of twenty years.” And…

so, MJF and Miz and a super team? Good stuff, huh guys? 

Nah, I was live for Ishii/Kingston, we're talking about that.

Kingston was in Tenryu mode for the match. Tryina slapp a tity off. Wasn't going for an NLB, it was a 54-Sai or whatever you call it. Coulda been better cause Eddie had Ishii in a surfboard and he went for the Misawa-on-Jumbo facelock instead of a WAR Special, but the Jericho match clearly proved that Eddie has been on a Tenryu binge all year. The crowd was on a simmer cause we wanted to hear Eddie's chops, for the record.

The least-appreciated match of the show was Suzuki/Brody King, easily, because the crowd was too star-struck to realize that the only possible outcome was Brody King absolutely murdering an old man. And the match of the night was Okada/Romero vs. White/Hikuleo because Jay's the best heel in the world & Rocky Romero trying to take a 6'9" rookie of his feet is the perfect cover for a low-bump big-star house show tag match.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

Kingston wearing the bandage was indeed an attempt at 'keeping kayfabe alive', but when the bandage came off there wasn't even the faintest mark. I love Eddie as much as the next guy, but that was some ridiculous bullshit. As for the bout, I had nothing but fun watching Eddie and Ishii go toe to toe. No surprise.

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

FSztbkLWAAIcnKC?format=jpg&name=900x900

bane-breaksthebat.jpg&ehk=oS9k2rBfctwnw%

Have Wardlow come out dressed as Bane at Double or Nothing, lol? MJF can get on the mic and say that's proof Wardlow is a psychopath and he's the good guy in all of this.

11 minutes ago, Jiji said:

"Call now, free?" really put it over the top.

I'm really curious what the legal jargon is on the bottom.  My joke a week ago about putting bivens with jade must have lit a fire in sterling.  More of this please.