DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2022

This is 2 years from now so maybe the MJF character will be more evolved but the current version of MJF in the WWE would be awful.  Well not totally awful because I bet they would pay him huge money.    But a watered down scripted version of MJF doesn't really work well right now.   The other issue is that one of the things that really helps him in AEW is that he is almost a part time wrestler.  He maybe works once a month in the ring.   The WWE MJF version works basically every week having the same opponent in some version for months and months.  

• Like 2

Copy to a txt file and save for later!

This is ______ years from now so maybe the ________ character will be more evolved but the current version of __________ in the WWE would be awful.  Well not totally awful because I bet they would pay him huge money.    But a watered down scripted version of _______________ doesn't really work well right now.   The other issue is that one of the things that really helps him in AEW is that he is almost a part time wrestler.  He maybe works ____________ a month in the ring.   The WWE ________________ version works basically every week having the same opponent in some version for months and months.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, EVA said:

AEW is kind of in a weird business gap right now. They’ve been a fantastically successful business, to the extent that everyone involved probably SHOULD expect to be getting paid more at this point, but their primary revenue stream hasn’t yet been updated to reflect their success, so they’re still having to operate on their early “this might or might not work” budget. I’m sure everyone, TK included, is perturbed by this, to some degree.

In some respects, MJF and AEW are in a similar boat! They opted for the stability of a longer deal, and now they’re having to grin and bear the last couple years of making less than they rightfully should be.

Irony is AEW definitely accelerated MJF's timeline.  I am sure he would make his way to WWE somehow else had AEW not been in place, but given the last 2 plus years of NXT frankly not creating main roster male stars much who knows.

5 hours ago, hammerva said:

But a watered down scripted version of MJF doesn't really work well right now.  

I see this a lot, and I think the case is overstated. Yeah, he gets to riff and have less of a filter in AEW. But the idea that he can't make it work a little cleaner with a script doesn't track for me. I don't buy that the limitations would hinder his talent from making things work. 

This as always comes to the usual caveat of how hard they want to commit to an act. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I see this a lot, and I think the case is overstated. Yeah, he gets to riff and have less of a filter in AEW. But the idea that he can't make it work a little cleaner with a script doesn't track for me. I don't buy that the limitations would hinder his talent from making things work. 

This as always comes to the usual caveat of how hard they want to commit to an act. 

Or how much they want to be able to trademark.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I would worry that much like the TNA guys who ended up un NXT Vince would have no Idea of what made them work in the first place and try to hard to change the recipe 

15 minutes ago, zendragon said:

I would worry that much like the TNA guys who ended up un NXT Vince would have no Idea of what made them work in the first place and try to hard to change the recipe 

Or maybe AEW main eventers might get positive treatment similar to an AJ or a Joe or a KO or a Cody. There are too many counter examples and and too much inconsistency to always worry about the worst case scenario. Especially when their broadcast partners have expressed interest in MJF specifically off of what they’ve seen on AEW TV.

• Like 1

According to Will Washington (SRS put out an update on Fightful Select as well, but I don't have that) - TK doesn't have an issue in paying MJF more money, but that he's asking him to sign on for more years for the raise which MJF doesn't want to do. Evidentally the locker room isn't on MJFs side here.

Also funny to note, and I didn't know this until today, but Cody actually invited MJFs parents to the SD Long Island show as his guests. They're busy so couldn't attend (credit: MJF barstools Rasslin). 

Part of me thinks this could be a shoot with how the whole Cody situation played out... BUT the other part of me thinks TK is trying to play a 2022 Brian Pillman type angle here. Could Cody have been in on this the whole time? I have no clue, but I am super intriguied in how this plays out.

I dare say MJF is the #1 guy you CAN NOT lose if you are AEW. He's destined to be their Ric Flair.

• Like 1

I don't see how MJF is a "can't lose." It would suck to lose him, but AEW does a fantastic job of building people up. They have turned regular guys into stars (Yuta, Garcia, Page, Dante) and could absolutely slot someone into the top heel spot. MJF is great, don't get me wrong, but #1: he'd be a shitty, watered down version of himself in WWE and #2: he'd have to wrestle so much he'd start to lose his luster. I just don't see this as some huge deal for TK. 

• Like 4