DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2022

1 hour ago, Krone Meltzer said:

Saw this on Twitter and couldn't believe it.

It is sort of mind boggling, but I guess logically, it does make sense because most of his Dynamite appearances were when he was the Elite Hunter but those guys were all in separate, upper card feuds so it makes sense not to beat them, but it definitely hurt Kaz a little.

Unless trios titles are defended super-sparingly like the FTW title, that novelty will wear thin extremely quickly. Also detrimental to the tag titles. While innovation is good, there’s a reason why neither of the historic major North America promotions ever even flirted with trios titles.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, A_K said:

Unless trios titles are defended super-sparingly like the FTW title, that novelty will wear thin extremely quickly. Also detrimental to the tag titles. While innovation is good, there’s a reason why neither of the historic major North America promotions ever even flirted with trios titles.

Whom are you considering the historic major North American promotions? JCP/WCW had six-man titles.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, tbarrie said:

Whom are you considering the historic major North American promotions? JCP/WCW had six-man titles.

WCW had it for, what, about a year in the backwater early 90s? That’s kind of my point.

Edited by A_K

1 hour ago, A_K said:

WCW had it for, what, about a year in the backwater early 90s? That’s kind of my point.

They existed off and on for decade or two. '91 was their last gasp, yes.

And I agree they were never a big deal in either of the big two; I was just pointing out that it wasn't accurate to say they had "never even flirted" with them.

• Like 1

What’s tough with a trios title is the available tv time. I actually like the ideas of a trios division that could regularly be filled with exciting and fast paced matchups. Titles or some type of tournament could be a fun way to highlight this. I’m just afraid of what gets cut out of their 3 hours of television. Not saying it will or will not work. Just a concern. 

4 hours ago, A_K said:

When did Mexico stop being in North America?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, tbarrie said:

They existed off and on for decade or two. '91 was their last gasp, yes.

And I agree they were never a big deal in either of the big two; I was just pointing out that it wasn't accurate to say they had "never even flirted" with them.

Yeah should have clarified as “major” being in commercial heyday. 

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

I will only accept trios titles in AEW if they acknowledge the existence of ROH's and tie up that loose end.

You're the guy who wants everything ROH OFF TV! ?

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 hours ago, Raziel said:

When did Mexico stop being in North America?

This reminds me of an indie in Virginia that is long out of business, but had a North American title and got their belt specifically made to exclude all countries below the United States.

0f2joyc.jpg

I'd like to see AEW abandon the tag titles all together (use the ROH/AAA ones where needed), and separate themselves as a point of difference from WWE, knowing that they've spent the last twenty years trying to get rid of it, and would never fully commit to promoting it as their point of difference.

Jurassic Express get told to hand over the tag titles, but get first shot as trios champions. Christian expects that he'll be added to the team, but Jungle Boy tells him they're going with Hangman Page, as a callback to the earlier 6 man he picked them over Dark Order.

Christian piledrives Jungle Boy on the outside ala DiBiase/Murdoch and costs them the titles during their first defence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I'd like to see AEW abandon the tag titles all together (use the ROH/AAA ones where needed), and separate themselves as a point of difference from WWE, knowing that they've spent the last twenty years trying to get rid of it, and would never fully commit to promoting it as their point of difference.

I think I misunderstand your post.

I'm with you that WWE doesn't value it's tag team titles or the tag teams in the division. But AEW really does value it's tag teams and the tag team titles. You want them to get rid of the top prize for a division they are clearly better at than WWE, to be different? They already are different by pushing tag team wrestling. Love The Usos. Love New Day. But WWE has a piss poor track record with the tag titles post Demolition. They could care less about tagteam wrestling. So make AEW stand out by... making them more like WWE? I don't get it.

I'm missing something here.

I think by AEW getting rid of their titles (which are already treated as an after thought to FTR's titles). You force WWE to do something they don't want to do with their programming and simultaneously provide a point of difference for the casual viewer (in the same way TNA had the six sided ring).

If they want to still use tag titles for an angle, they can use the ROH/TNA ones, but I think there's more value in switching to a 6 man title, rather than trying to have the six man titles, the AEW tag and whatever promotions titles all on the one show. Seems overkill.

Or as is with wrestling, they could always just bring the tag titles back months later 

• Like 1

AEW has spent so much time and energy putting themselves over as a company that deeply respects tag team wrestling. The company was partially built on the Young Bucks. They're the home of FTR. The consensus Best AEW Match Ever was a tag match. The idea of AEW getting rid of their tag titles is absolutely absurd.

• Like 9