DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2022

On 5/4/2022 at 5:05 PM, zendragon said:

Stu Grayson might really benefit of a change in scenery. Either in the ROH relaunce or NWA, probably better to be a big fish in a smaller pond than to be the DO version of Scott Norton

I like Stu Grayson but everyone knows that John Silver is the Scott Norton of the entire company much less the group

39 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

Some think those belts won't be under trios rules but regular six man tag rules.

I actually didn't know there was a difference. I thought trios just meant all hell breaks lose and there's no rules basically. But upon googling it, you have to pin a teams captain or the other two members of a team under trios rules, is that correct? Very unique and cool stipulation.

• Like 2

Also in Lucha Libre, when the legal person of a team touches the floor outside the ring, one of that person's partners can enter the ring to take his place as the legal dude.

There can be Face and Heel refs in the same match. 

• Thanks 1

I'm sorta down with...

17 minutes ago, Blue Dragon said:

...when the legal person of a team touches the floor outside the ring, one of that person's partners can enter the ring to take his place as the legal dude.

Thankfully, I don't see them suddenly taking on 'heel/face refs' nor the kinda confusing Captain/Non-Captain pinning rules. 2/3 falls would be fine, but those other lucha rules, even 2/3 falls, can often be potential momentum killers.  

The problem with "trios rules" in matches in the states is that it's purely an excuse for spots and completely overlooks the structure of pairings > beatdown > comeback, with control being implicit and almost indirect and momentum-based more than control-based (and with dives as a means to clear the ring and set up the final pairing as opposed to being ends unto themselves, but that's almost beside the point).

There's not only one right way to do this, especially in 2/3 falls CMLL matches. You can have the rudos rush the tecnicos to start and bypass those first exchanges or have the exchanges towards the end after a reset, but if there aren't meaningful momentum shifts with build and payoff instead of frequent ones involving frequent counters, it's shitty lucha.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

Texas Tornado rules: all of the tag team men are allowed in the ring at the same time. So no tagging needed.

I used the Texas Tornado rules for FPR, because I didn't want to waste time making tag edits back then, even if I did...the AI would stop tagging in at some point for regular tag matches.

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm vocally anti-Trios title. It's gonna get expensive quickly to keep the division fresh. Just use the damn Freebird rule

Not really? There’s already 17 six man combos/groups they can use, and that’s not counting things like multiple combos of the Dark Order, JAS, etc

not to mention outside pairings from partnered promotions, Dark talent they like, etc.

I could see your argument being true if it was for the women’s division, but they have a huge men’s roster and more than enough talent to keep it fresh for a good while. And you know a trios title tournament would only be like 4-8 teams anyway.

• Like 5

I'm not saying they don't have enough three man units for it, it's just that nearly half of them if not more are just regular tag teams plus one. For me personally, that's going to be way too much overlap between divisions. We're seeing this right now with how they're struggling to get Jade good challengers in the TBS division. Its just going to dilute the existing tag title division IMO.

4 hours ago, Casey said:

really? There’s already 17 six man combos/groups they can use, and that’s not counting things like multiple combos of the Dark Order, JAS, et

Sure I guess, but most of these teams like Butcher/Blade, 2.0, Silver/Reynolds etc won’t get a whiff of the tag titles or anything so why not give them a new division to play around in? It’s telling that two of the top ranked teams are just singles guys who have been tagging for a few weeks/off and on for a few months.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm vocally anti-Trios title. It's gonna get expensive quickly to keep the division fresh. Just use the damn Freebird rule

I'm with you, I never saw a good enough reason to have more belts, but it's happening and I've loved more than a handful of six man tags.  And I'm very much into the BCC, House, Elite and Death Triangle.  No sense resisting the inevitable.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 2:41 AM, DreamBroken said:

Interesting/cool as that was the nickname of Robert "RD" Evans, who worked with Keith when he first started in 2006. 

I wish it was former Paramount studio head Robert Evans managing Keith Lee. A Robert Evans run wrestling promotion are the things coked out dreams are made of!

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Meet the stars of Evans Championship Wrestling (ECW, ECW, ECW) 

The 123 Kid Stays in the Picture

Intergender Tag Team Champions: Rosemary Bay Bay

Steinertown 

Dude Love Story

and of course…The Godfather

• Like 8

Two things I believe to be true:

AEW is lucky to have Kaz to work with young wrestlers.

Kaz is lucky that he’s still on national television with the current loaded roster. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I’ve watched him win many a singles match on 1.75x speed 

Dark or Elevation tho, right? I think this is just for Dynamite and Rampage.

10 hours ago, Casey said:

Sure I guess, but most of these teams like Butcher/Blade, 2.0, Silver/Reynolds etc won’t get a whiff of the tag titles or anything so why not give them a new division to play around in? It’s telling that two of the top ranked teams are just singles guys who have been tagging for a few weeks/off and on for a few months.

Fair enough, that's a good point. I just feel like if a team isn't good enough for the tag titles, they're probably not getting a trios title push either if it's true that they're waiting for Omega to return to be in it. And a small confession: I like JX, and Jungleboy is obviously going to be a star for years, but their title run is falling a little flat with me - I'd be into any of those three teams you listed as champs. Maybe they should have just done a TNT tag title instead

Edit: though I guess a six man title would kind of achieve the same thing. Honestly, you might have convinced me

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath