DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2022

Is Kip Sabian still on the roster page? Seems like he would’ve been in this group of spring 2019 signings who are rolling off their initial deals this week, unless he signed a longer contract. Obviously he’s still showing up to the arenas, but they have never once put over his box head gimmick in the crowd, so I don’t think that’s actually going anywhere.

Penelope also appears to be in the “staying home until her contract expires” camp, as she hasn’t worked a show since January.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt D said:

My gut says that Stu could have a singles run on the indies like Bailey or Biff are having right now.

I could definitely see him in IMPACT!

New AEW tv show, reality show and backstage stuff antics. Probably the replacement for Cody's show, but on TBS instead. 

Edited by Blue Dragon

43 minutes ago, EVA said:

Is Kip Sabian still on the roster page? Seems like he would’ve been in this group of spring 2019 signings who are rolling off their initial deals this week, unless he signed a longer contract. Obviously he’s still showing up to the arenas, but they have never once put over his box head gimmick in the crowd, so I don’t think that’s actually going anywhere.

Penelope also appears to be in the “staying home until her contract expires” camp, as she hasn’t worked a show since January.

I meant to comment on last week's Dynamite thread that it seemed like they were showing him more prominently last week.  Might be coincidence, but he seemed to show up in more shots than usual. 

• Like 1

I always thought the best use of Kip was as a heater for Penelope, but if it looks like Penelope is also out the door, then that's a bummer. I thought she improved a ton and was really digging her stuff in the ring.

It's also possible she's been rotated out because they focused on her tag partnership with Allie against, um, Tay and Anna??? for what felt like a long time. Once they all had their hardcore match to blow off the feud, it was probably safe to put at least half the people involved on the shelf to give them a break.

• Like 2

I can at least understand the argument for cutting Stu (or even Kip, who really hasn't done much on TV since Rusev broke his arm) but Penelope should absolutely be re-signed. She's one of the most competent, least green women they have right now and with two women's divisions to support, I think it would be short sighted to lose her.

• Like 4

On cagematch, Ford's only had two matches in general this year and none since 1/15, so no indy matches either (as opposed to someone like Stu who has worked a handful in the last six months). Is she injured maybe? She's still retweeting AEW on-sale dates and tv episode promos as of two days ago, so...

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Log said:

I meant to comment on last week's Dynamite thread that it seemed like they were showing him more prominently last week.  Might be coincidence, but he seemed to show up in more shots than usual. 

Yep, I distinctly saw him behind Punk doing a sarcastic slow clap throughout the promo.  But unless they have a really hot angle idea for him to come back, a Kip Sabian reveal will be, as Schiavone says, a popcorn fart.  Sabian is absolutely another guy I have in mind when I'm talking about replacement-level low mid carders.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I can at least understand the argument for cutting Stu (or even Kip, who really hasn't done much on TV since Rusev broke his arm) but Penelope should absolutely be re-signed. She's one of the most competent, least green women they have right now and with two women's divisions to support, I think it would be short sighted to lose her.

I'm guessing all this will be sorted out once ROH's direction is figured out.

• Like 4

They can’t fire Kip because they need him to be their hometown babyface on the eventual UK tour.

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I'm guessing all this will be sorted out once ROH's direction is figured out.

Funny enough (and this is on me for not being clearer) I was referring to the TBS title not the ROH title, so that kind of strengthens my point a bit - make that *three* ladies divisions to round out.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AxB said:

They can’t fire Kip because they need him to be their hometown babyface on the eventual UK tour.

That role could easily be filled by Regal and the BCC or maybe Danhausen, who I assume is speaking with a Welsh accent

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
7 hours ago, EVA said:

The one thing I’d be really disappointed in, if Stu really is gone, is that they didn’t shoot an angle to write him off. Just having someone disappear is some WWE shit.

Isn't that just pro wrestling in general? Unless you're a main eventer, folks used to vanish without a trace from practically every promotion. The only explanation 2 Cold Scorpio's disappearance from WCW ever got was that he missed a flight for a match, then a few weeks later, Marcus Alexander Bagwell's teaming with the Patriot, and little kid me was like "dang, did 2 Cold end up in the Bermuda Triangle?"

"Hey Scorpio, are you gonna fly to your next match?"

"No, we gonna step!"

Side note: Scorpio worked a match for Defy recently against Nick Wayne and he can still go

Edited by BrianS81177
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Isn't that just pro wrestling in general? Unless you're a main eventer, folks used to vanish without a trace from practically every promotion. The only explanation 2 Cold Scorpio's disappearance from WCW ever got was that he missed a flight for a match, then a few weeks later, Marcus Alexander Bagwell's teaming with the Patriot, and little kid me was like "dang, did 2 Cold end up in the Bermuda Triangle?"

Current little kid me is wondering how Marko Stunt got taller and Canadian.

1 hour ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Isn't that just pro wrestling in general? Unless you're a main eventer, folks used to vanish without a trace from practically every promotion. The only explanation 2 Cold Scorpio's disappearance from WCW ever got was that he missed a flight for a match,

What you’re describing is still more effort than modern WWE puts into explaining disappearances! 

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

I guess that makes it official. Really sucks...Stu was a favorite of mine. Such a fire hot tag. 

Guess that's another in the "not good enough" pile.

• Like 1