DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAY 2022

8 hours ago, Krone Meltzer said:

How much money do you think AEW saves in comparison to WWE just by not copywriting all of the names, nicknames, moves, plethora of shows/events. I'm not privy to how much it costs to copywrite any sort of material, but between all the names that WWE owns, coupled with the ones that they have spent on in the past that they no longer use, I would imagine it's at least a little bit of change right?

Let's say WWE own's 5,000 trademarks they keep active (just a plausible guess, could be more, could be less). Multiply that by $300 a pop (roughly)... and that comes out to $1.5million dollars. Which is a wayyy higher number than I expected before doing the math.

But that $1.5million is a drop in the bucket to them when compared to letting the talent own the trademarks. How much money could Bray Wyatt generate if he owned that name and The Fiend likeness? Way more than that $1.5million just by himself. So it's a cost associated with defending their market share / not handing anyone else ready made acts that could help them grow. In that sense sure, AEW saves money over WWE by not owning the talent trademarks. But they also lose out on that market share defense. (Which I don't think they care about in the slightest to be fair).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, twiztor said:

Well, he had a good run... no, wait...

Well, he and Sonny Kiss had a good theme song as a tag team. I'd like to say it will be missed, but I hear it frequently on my most used playlist.

I hope he finds success elsewhere. Let the Spring Breaks resume!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Let's say WWE own's 5,000 trademarks they keep active

Cursory Googling shows you only need to renew every 10 years BUT you also have to prove you're using the trademark. I think.  This shit is wonky and filled with legaleze.

19 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Cursory Googling shows you only need to renew every 10 years BUT you also have to prove you're using the trademark. I think.  This shit is wonky and filled with legaleze.

Defending your trademark probably costs them a lot more than registering it, but I'm sure they have a legal staff on retainer for just those reasons

• Like 1

Probably more of a comment for the general thread, but looking at that picture makes me think that was the lamest and saddest period. WWE pretty much sucks all around now, but at least it looks like a big budget presentation and there's nothing as lame as trying to replace two of your biggest wrestlers.

• Like 5

re: copyrights and trademarks:

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

This shit is wonky and filled with legaleze.

you can say that again. 

a lot of "defending the usage" really just consists of sending "Cease & Desist" letters to entities that may be infringing upon it. It doesn't necessarily mean that WWE would have to hold a "Starrcade" event every other year or anything. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That's why Marvel kept making new Captain Marvel series when nobody cared about them. 

Actively defending it is also important so you don't wind up like escalator or trampoline.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_and_genericized_trademarks

• Like 2

I'm sure you've all seen it going around, but rumor is that Stu Grayson may not have been able to come to an agreement with AEW or was not renewed. That's a significant bummer, man. I was hoping he and Uno would get an underdog title program at some point.

• Like 2

He's the type of guy that is nice to have but I'm not sure what he adds that isn't replaced by about a dozen other people. They have so many people on their roster that can go but aren't going to be stars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm sure you've all seen it going around, but rumor is that Stu Grayson may not have been able to come to an agreement with AEW or was not renewed. That's a significant bummer, man. I was hoping he and Uno would get an underdog title program at some point.

Same here.

1 hour ago, Jiji said:

He's the type of guy that is nice to have but I'm not sure what he adds that isn't replaced by about a dozen other people. They have so many people on their roster that can go but aren't going to be stars. 

Yeah there's nothing he contributed to Dark Order that Alan Angels couldn't

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jiji said:

Exactly.  We're going to see more guys on this level, guys like Stu, Janela, Stunt, not getting renewed.  AEW picked up a fair amount of mid-level role players to fill out the roster when they started, and WWE had so many "indy" guys locked down, just to fill out the roster.  With more people available due to releases and the current indy renaissance, replacement-level wrestlers are going to get replaced.  At least they get to stay until their contracts are up.

• Like 2

I always enjoy Stu in the ring, but he and Uno were surpassed in the fans’ eyes as the top DO tag team a while back, and his lack of any real sense of character/identity makes it hard to do anything with him as a single. By far the least over guy in his stable. I think undercard multi-man tags were where he was going to settle in at this point, and if he didn’t want that, I can understand.

• Like 3

Really disappointed if Stu has gone, just for the fact that it makes me sad to see long term tag partner broken up. He was always fun in the ring and JR always seemed really high on him whenever we would see him wrestle in a dynamite which was never as often as I would have liked. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

@Jiji

I understand your positions, but respectfully disagree - I thought Stu was really fun to watch with Uno, and had some great, energetic comebacks and hot tags. @Technico Support

Oh definitely.  I enjoy him and Uno’s  tag work.  I just think he (and probably many guys at that lower midcard level) reached his ceiling as far as what the company was going to do with him.  I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a certain amount of turnover on that level of the card while hoping someone at that level breaks out.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Jiji said:

He's basically fungible with his Dark Order teammate Angels.

• Like 1

The one thing I’d be really disappointed in, if Stu really is gone, is that they didn’t shoot an angle to write him off. Just having someone disappear is some WWE shit.

• Like 1