DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

4 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I wonder how WWE is going to spin this? Threats of terrorist attacks like Mania 7? ??

Raiders potentially signing Colin Kaepernick. 

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

They must have used the wrong talent in the promotional material. 

To paraphrase a well-loved post here, had they advertised Cody Rhodes vs. Cody Rhodes in a Cody-Rhodes-on-a-pole match, held inside a steel Cody Rhodes, they would have sold out the football stadium in Vegas, and probably multiple other football stadiums in America who want to see it on the big screen in a large crowd. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

The "best" part is that since the Allegiant crowd was already larger than what MGM holds, they're going to have to refund everyone's money before giving them the chance to buy tickets a SECOND time for the same show. I wonder how many folks will throw up their hands and move on, to speak nothing of the ones who'll get shut out because of the smaller capacity. Between that and the relative arena sizes, there's a pretty good chance AEW outdraws them in another matinee city.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are you telling me that having 4 stadium shows in a matter of 5 months with only a few true stars and bad creative was a terrible idea?

Who needs stars when you have such a strong brand? The brand is the draw, then, now, and forever. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Are you telling me that having 4 stadium shows in a matter of 5 months with only a few true stars and bad creative was a terrible idea?

It would have been an insane thing to try even in like, 1999 let alone now. All that TV/Saudi money has them high on the smell of their own farts

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2022 at 6:47 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

Funk, Vader, Sting, Nasty Boys if we can count tags.

Oh yeah. I know they are a step down , but I have great memories of going to the Eddie Gilbert series and the wars in school gyms from Staten Island to New Jersey against Sunny Beach. I rode with Cactus and John Arezzi to the Gilbert match where Cactus did the same move that later lost his ear in a barbed wire rope match with Gilbert. He at least had a bunch of bandannas around his neck for protection. I also rode with them to a match with Morgus the Maniac that Mick apologized for on the way back. 

• Like 7

Observer reporting that Sasha & Naomi's contracts are both frozen AND the suspension is without pay.

I have no idea how that would hold up in court. You are suspended from work. We aren't going to pay you. But you also aren't allowed to get another job in this field and you will never be able to get one again because we just decided the contract you signed with a specific end date just never ends now.

Someone has to stand up to this bullshit and get a court precedent set to stop this pettiness.

• Like 16

PWI is reporting that Jeff Jarrett is returning to TV in some kind of high-level producer role for live events.

It's mildly surprising to me that he'd come back but there's only so many wrestling companies and you've gotta pay the bills.

D-Von Dudley will now produce for NXT 2.0. He originally did producing for the two bigger WWE main brands. He was sidelined from his job since Feb after undergoing successful spinal fusion surgery. Dudley revealed that while he can run, jump and play basketball, he will never be able to wrestle again.

Jarrett is taking over the live events department, he will officially begin his Live Events roles next week. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Observer reporting that Sasha & Naomi's contracts are both frozen AND the suspension is without pay.

I have no idea how that would hold up in court. You are suspended from work. We aren't going to pay you. But you also aren't allowed to get another job in this field and you will never be able to get one again because we just decided the contract you signed with a specific end date just never ends now.

Someone has to stand up to this bullshit and get a court precedent set to stop this pettiness.

That may explain their silence on the issue. Legal action could be on the horizon. 

Just for clarification - the WON is reporting that they are suspended without pay. The WON IS NOT reporting their contracts are frozen

The indefinite WWE suspensions of both Sasha Banks and Naomi are without pay, according to Dave Meltzer in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Because merchandise for both women were also removed from WWE's online store, they also get no revenue from that either. Meltzer noted that both had merchandise available at live shows this past weekend because it was already printed ahead of time.

It's unknown if their contracts are also frozen as a result, but Meltzer noted WWE has the right to do that. Naomi was in negotiations on a new contract as her current deal was believed to expire in the next few months while it's unknown when Banks' deal is up.

And this is the direct blurb from the WON

The suspension is without pay. In addition, the company pulled all of their merchandise from its web site, meaning they would not get any new merchandise revenue. There was merchandise for both women available at the live shows over the weekend because that stuff is prepared ahead of time.

Based on WWE contracts, the company also has the right to freeze the contract if suspending someone with the idea that they refused to work. In the case of Fatu, that is notable because it was believed her deal expired in around two months. It is known that her deal was coming due and she was in negotiations for a new deal. Most WWE new deals have been for significantly more money than the old deals because the competition in wrestling has raised the salary structure. It is not known when Varnado’s contract was due.

The key to freezing the contract, and WWE does this without telling performers, is that for the time they aren’t wrestling, it would extend the time of their contracts. At some point, either the talent would have to return or WWE would have to let the talent go, although in the case of Bryan Danielson, he had a three year contract with all the freezing ending up lasting seven years. Since Danielson was never suspended (he was fired once early on but that isn’t related to this) he was also paid his downside during the time he was injured or not medically cleared to perform.

From the WON website:

It's unknown if their contracts are also frozen as a result, but Meltzer noted WWE has the right to do that. Naomi was in negotiations on a new contract as her current deal was believed to expire in the next few months while it's unknown when Banks' deal is up.

I somehow missed the "it's unknown if" part. That mix up is my fault. Sorry for the false alarm.

Buttttttttt I wouldn't give WWE a pass yet. It's unknown... but still probable.

If the talent had any balls, they would all just walk out in solidarity. It may be Sasha or Naomi's time today, but it could be your time tomorrow. Let them suspend the entire roster without pay. Let it become a national news story that two performers disagreed over creative and WWE thought the appropriate response was to financially ruin them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Bought two out of three of the Greatest WrestleMania's of All Time on DVD today, WrestleMania X-Seven and WrestleMania XIX. Other than the cover of the former with the scratch logo replaced with the W and World Wrestling Entertainment on it, the show itself has the traditional scratch logo with no blurring like on past releases. That's the biggest draw of this.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Bought two out of three of the Greatest WrestleMania's of All Time on DVD today, WrestleMania X-Seven and WrestleMania XIX. Other than the cover of the former with the scratch logo replaced with the W and World Wrestling Entertainment on it, the show itself has the traditional scratch logo with no blurring like on past releases. That's the biggest draw of this.

5. WrestleMania XXX.

4. WrestleMania X.

3. WrestleMania XXIV.

2. WrestleMania XIX.

1. WrestleMania X-Seven.