DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

HHH is probably the best opponent for Henry Godwinn as a singles, unless there's some WCW feud that I'm forgetting for the latter. 

31 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Gotta be a lowercard person with few if any well-regarded highlights.

If such a person exists... maybe Maven? 

Shelton Benjamin? Unless the Jeff Hardy and Shinsuke Nakamura matches are better than I remember. Maybe Minoru Suzuki.

1 hour ago, Phil Schneider said:

So who is Foley's best opponent? I would lean Vader, those matches were harrowing

I’m tempted to say Austin, but Sting is up there too.

27 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I checked Cagematch, and they listed 2 events in Stillwater, OK. One in 1993, and Extreme Midget Wrestling at the Payne County Fairgrounds in June 2020.

In a pandemic no less, serving an underserved market.

So it really wasn't on the radar for any sort of events during Mid-South either. The Oklahoma City market is pretty geographically huge. So if you run shows in OKC, Tulsa, Ada OK, Lawton OK, and Fort Smith AR, you've covered the entirety of Oklahoma except for 5 counties (3 in the panhandle, and the most Northeastern/Southeastern Counties)

Meanwhile if you're trying to cover every Louisiana market, it would be Shreveport, Monroe, Alexandria, Lake Charles, Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans.

So if you want to run a show from the 181st TV market (out of 210), Alexandria is for you. Check out the seating maps for the Rapides Parish Coliseum.

map-3.jpg

ECW once ran the Uptown Theater in Kansas City if you want your pro wrestling to take place in the "End Stage" concert seating plan.

Since I live in Northwest Arkansas, I am about an hour and a half away from Fort Smith. However, the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville (25 minutes away) has some venues people could run. The Bud Walton Arena is way too big, but the old basketball/current volleyball arena Barnhill Arena is right in AEW's wheelhouse.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In a pandemic no less, serving an underserved market.

Since I live in Northwest Arkansas, I am about an hour and a half away from Fort Smith. However, the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville (25 minutes away) has some venues people could run. The Bud Walton Arena is way too big, but the old basketball/current volleyball arena Barnhill Arena is right in AEW's wheelhouse.

the Barnhill roof looks pretty neat

Red-White game scheduled for Oct. 17 in Barnhill Arena

• Like 2

Actually, I know the lasting memory 20 years later is Katie Vick, but Kane and HHH had good chemistry pre-quad tear. Their WM 15 match and chain match from the 2-Man Power Trip days were both good. Tough to think of someone Kane had a better series with. The Taker matches were more bad than good, never had anything special with Austin, Edge, or Cena (some of the first long feuds I could think of with him a good worker, I know there are more). Foley (no surprise) bumped his ass off for him in his debut match (as Kane) at SurSer 97 and again in the cell on Raw and would be the only other candidate.

21 hours ago, SirFozzie said:

I'm honestly not sure whether this post should be made in this thread, in it's own thread, or not at all, because it's Wrestling Twitter, but it was on my feed last night (and I don't follow a ton of wrestling accounts there, so it was an unpleasant surprise). Apparently one of the second-rate dirt sheets apparently decided to set his career on fire with slamming AEW and specifically Nyla Rose, with a tweet about "how AEW put the Women's strap on a male". (linked instead of embedded to prove the quote is real, while denying him views from everyone in this thread. Click it if you want to see it.

https://twitter.com/ringsidenews_/status/1529091693856931843

Personally, I thought Nyla handled it great, turning the line around into a joke. "You said strap on...".. while the rest of twitter gave the idiot a good old fashioned (and richly deserved) shit-kicking. But I just want to get something off my chest. And that is respect. I am friends with a trans male, and I cannot understand why people deliberately use someone's "deadname", unless it's to be an asshole. And don't try to tell me "Well, that's their name." You don't have any carny movie outsiders making sure to tell you Tom Cruise's birth name with Tom Cruise Mapother the IV. (yes, that's his real name). It's only polite. I don't see any reason to do that with anyone, so when I see it, my instant determination is that you're doing it to be an asshole, and I will judge them accordingly.

This is not the first time the scumbag has done this. He's had a history of doing this. He posted anti-semitic tweets before as well. And that was several years ago. 

32 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Hinkle Fieldhouse at Butler would be a unique look...

cbb36791aaff0a03164b8ae6a14cf03d.jpg

that would be pretty similar to the look of shows at Dorton in North Carolina

guessing that Vandy's gym wouldn't be a likely site with the multiple other Nashville sites for shows

Memorial Gymnasium (Vanderbilt University) - Wikipedia

I guess it's more likely than holding a wrestling show on the stage at the Ryman.

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

Oh yeah, I read the question wrong and thought it was "Who was HHH's best opponent?" It's definitely not Jericho. Those matches are bloated.

I'm pretty sure the answer is "No one"

Tangential: who's Rock's best opponent?

Best single match opponent for:

HHH - Danielson 

Foley - Undertaker 

Undertaker - HBK

Austin - Rock

Rock - Hurricane 

Best multi match opponent for:

HHH - Jeff Hardy 

Foley - Undertaker 

Undertaker - Foley

Austin - Rock 

Rock - Austin

• Like 2

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Best single match opponent for:

HHH - Danielson 

Foley - Undertaker 

Undertaker - HBK

Austin - Rock

Rock - Hurricane 

Best multi match opponent for:

HHH - Jeff Hardy 

Foley - Undertaker 

Undertaker - Foley

Austin - Rock 

Rock - Austin

This list makes me want to ask, what is Foley's best match?  I kind of feel like his matches with the Undertaker are more memorable than good.  He was great matches with a large swath of people, but his absolute best match might be the Royal Rumble 2000 match with HHH.  

• Like 2

The HIAC with Taker is a legit great.

Some other obvious contenders would be the Mind Games match vs. Shawn, Backlash 04 vs. Orton, that Saturday Night match against Vader where he gets potatoed full force in front of the camera for 10 minutes and still squeaks out a count out win, and the I Quit with Flair at Summer Slam 06. He also has some all-time garbage tags like Spring Stampede 94 or ONS 06.

• Like 2

Foley's best matches to me are vs. HBK at Mind Games and vs. Austin at OTE. The 2000 HHH matches are just under them for me. The matches with Taker were solid-good, but never really hit great to me from what I've caught of them. Always thought the Taker HIAC match was good as a spectacle but not as an actual match.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Foley's best matches to me are vs. HBK at Mind Games and vs. Austin at OTE. The 2000 HHH matches are just under them for me. The matches with Taker were solid-good, but never really hit great to me from what I've caught of them. Always thought the Taker HIAC match was good as a spectacle but not as an actual match.

I agree 100% with all of this

• Like 1

4 hours ago, supremebve said:

This list makes me want to ask, what is Foley's best match?  I kind of feel like his matches with the Undertaker are more memorable than good.  He was great matches with a large swath of people, but his absolute best match might be the Royal Rumble 2000 match with HHH.  

3. Cactus Jack vs. Triple H. Royal Rumble 2000.

2. Dude Love vs. Steve Austin. In Your House: Over the Edge 1998.

1. Mankind vs. Shawn Michaels. In Your House 10: Mind Games 1996. *****.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I haven’t seen any of it in a long time but I remember Foleys ECW run having really good stuff  in it. Especially his heel stuff which was more character work great than match great but there were a lot of really fun brawls from what I remember too. But from a character stand point ECW might have been Foleys peak but it’s hard to say cause he’s an all time great character work guy.

One moment that I’ve always remembered was from a tag match with Foley/Raven vs Dreamer/Funk where a VCR got used as a weapon and it’s one of the nastiest head shots I can recall cause the thing just bounced off one of someone’s head. So much stupid shit in ECW.

Edited by Sublime
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Hinkle Fieldhouse at Butler would be a unique look...

cbb36791aaff0a03164b8ae6a14cf03d.jpg

I doubt Butler allows it and parking is shit around there. There's a nearby parking garage, but if it's during the semester, it's not going to be viable for parking. Any time I go to Butler for anything I always wind up going to my cousin's house in the area and then take an Uber to the campus.