DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

I'm way into title histories as well.. Ric Flair's title history was always fascinating to me I never understood and still don't what exactly they count as the "16 world titles". He is close to 22 i think I used to know all of them by heart.. sure some were mostly unrecognized but I'd like to see what the actual 16 are that he means. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm way into title histories as well.. Ric Flair's title history was always fascinating to me I never understood and still don't what exactly they count as the "16 world titles". He is close to 22 i think I used to know all of them by heart.. sure some were mostly unrecognized but I'd like to see what the actual 16 are that he means. 

Are you counting all the times he 'lost" the belt in Puerto Rico? One would think that would be the only way he could get out of the arena alive.

7 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Are you counting all the times he 'lost" the belt in Puerto Rico? One would think that would be the only way he could get out of the arena alive.

Yeah - Pretty sure there's some tours w/ Race where they had belt changes also.. 

6 hours ago, EVA said:

DiscoveryWarner’s upfront presentation was the day of a Dynamite taping. AEW didn’t have anyone of consequence they could send. And upfronts are all about razzle dazzle for potential advertisers. If you don’t have stars to put on stage, you’re not going to be featured on the show.

I mean there's one guy that's on the mend that's a pretty big deal who could have showed up assuming he's able to move around.

Also something like that would be right in Cody's wheelhouse spouting non-sense to ad buyers.

4 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Patently false. 

I was going to say...There's a bunch of people on this very board in the AEW threads who care too much about Tay's personal life.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yeah - Pretty sure there's some tours w/ Race where they had belt changes also.. 

There is at least one unrecognized title loss and regain he worked with Fujinami, too.

33 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

There is at least one unrecognized title loss and regain he worked with Fujinami, too.

This is that weird one that would count as 2, since I think in the WWE.vom article awhile ago that listed what counted fir Flair, WCW/WWE doesn't recognize the NWA swap with Fujinami (but NWA does), but WCW/WWE also doesn't count Flair being the inaugural WCW Champ toward his total either, even if they have him listed as the first.

Edited by Raziel
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Raziel said:

but WCW/WWE also doesn't count Flair being the inaugural WCW Champ toward his total either, even if they have him listed as the first.

i don't think you can count that as an individual reign since he won the NWA title and (for all intents and purposes) that became the WCW title. it's one reign, spread over two belts.

1 minute ago, twiztor said:

i don't think you can count that as an individual reign since he won the NWA title and (for all intents and purposes) that became the WCW title. it's one reign, spread over two belts.

Actually one belt (which feeds onto a whole other discussion when Herd fired Flair and Heenan started flaunting the Big Gold while waiting for Flair's 90 day to be up.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

They've been freezing people's contracts alot in the modern Era for while now. Mainly when a guy is injured though. Why are people reacting as if this is new. Sure it's petty but people are signing shorter term contracts nowadays but even 1 to 3 years is a long time to be stuck any place you do not want to come in to work to.

It doesn't surprise me because of cases like PAC and Brodie Lee. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

In hindsight, they could have easily had Meng be the new Hardcore Champion when he jumped over in 2001, and ended the 24/7 rule as no-one wanted to fuck with him and lose an eye.

Meng comes in at Royal Rumble 01, Raven loses his title the next night on Raw anyway. Just swap Haku for Al Snow to unify.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ka-to said:

Tarzan Tyler and Luke Graham showed up as the first WWWF tag champions. 

Yeah they won them via fictional tournament. 

The WWF International Tag Team Championship was decided by fictional tournament too.

The WWF Women tags were switched to the Glamour Girls on some fictional card.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Does that number include the WCW International Titke, since it’s Big Goldy? 

You mean when he beat Sting for it? I don't believe that's a new world title reign as they just absorbed the title into the WCW title. 

Side note: that was the last real Clash of the Champions to me..  Hogan got started with all his buddies and nonsense and the old NWA/WCW was dead..  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

Flair and the commentators would often say what title reign he is on. That's the best way to keep track. I'm watching early-2000 WCW, and Flair is a 14-time champ. They are counting his two WWF titles.

I don’t know why this bothers me so much, but it really sticks in my craw that Flair, Hunter, and Orton all have championship reigns on the books that started with them being handed the title. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, (BP) said:

I don’t know why this bothers me so much, but it really sticks in my craw that Flair, Hunter, and Orton all have championship reigns on the books that started with them being handed the title. 

Triple H was handed the big gold but if my memory is right, he won a #1 contender match and then Brock Lesnar signed "exclusively" to Smackdown. So you could say that was retroactively a title match. I forget who he fought.

• Like 1

I was watching a 1987 WWF Saturday Night Main Event last night and saw the most bizarare thing. The show opened with Steele-Savage and Steele proceeded to "eat" two of the turnbuckle pads which was used for Savage to take over, no big deal, usual thing for him. What was weird was that the next match was a 20 man battle royale and NOBODY bothered to replace either of those pads, so every time someone went in the corner or got their head slammed against the pad, they came up with white fluff on them and two big piles of fluff in the corners of the ring. Did they forget to bring along spare pads? Did they just forget? It was weird.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2