DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

In the vein of Malachi Black & CSRO, she could probably get away with Tosha Banx if she wanted to...

Instead of the Bank Statement it would be the Spank Abatement? I don't know about this.

• Haha 4

Since she can't be "The Legit Boss" anymore, should go with something like "The Top Draw" and do a take on the Hollywood Rock character. Like still be her but mix in all that movie star I'm above this company stuff. Would be a good fit for a heel persona that's somewhat close to what she already did, but with enough of a new coat of paint to not be a direct ripoff / still feel fresh.

I don't think that AEW is any good as a product and I wonder if the company still has post-merger support at its network; I think if Sasha really has an out that can get her into some other aspect of the entertainment business, and if she doesn't want to wrestle anymore (or wants to do something else for awhile and come back to wrestling later), she should take that out. 

Naomi probably should take any AEW deal that comes her way and probably could (also?) do some combination of Impact! and nu-NWA and other stuff and make pretty solid money.

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia

2 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I don't think that AEW is any good as a product

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even when their opinions are wrong lol

3 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I wonder if the company still has post-merger support at its network

Time will tell on this one, but I believe it to be an overblown talking point. AEW was displayed in the premium package for the cream of the crop to advertisers. So even tho they didn't go out of their way to hype AEW up as a big part of the future they also didn't no sell them. They were shown alongside The NBA, The NHL, & the top Food Network cooking shows under the Discovery umbrella. Hardly a snub.

• Like 1

I don't think that's necessarily true. They didn't have AEW all over up-fronts the other week. Compared to Fox and NBCU having WWE wrestlers at their up-fronts, I think that's interesting. 

Believe me, I'm not a pro-WWE AEW doomer or anything. The only thing that actually interests me about either company is their business moves, is what it is.

1 minute ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, even when their opinions are wrong lol

I agree, which is why I encourage you to keep arguing that AEW puts on good shows. ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I don't think that's necessarily true. They didn't have AEW all over up-fronts the other week. Compared to Fox and NBCU having WWE wrestlers at their up-fronts, I think that's interesting. 

DiscoveryWarner’s upfront presentation was the day of a Dynamite taping. AEW didn’t have anyone of consequence they could send. And upfronts are all about razzle dazzle for potential advertisers. If you don’t have stars to put on stage, you’re not going to be featured on the show.

Just now, odessasteps said:

Arguably, is it more important to have, say, Phil or Brian, on a regular episode of your TV show or at the network upfront repping your brand?

When you’re two weeks out from a PPV, probably the former.

9 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Arguably, is it more important to have, say, Phil or Brian, on a regular episode of your TV show or at the network upfront repping your brand?

Rippa or Schneider?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Tony probably could have had Shaq be part of a panel or walkout with Jade Cargill (who looks like a star) and shown highlights from that match or something. That's the kind of thing advertisers gush over. 

On the Naomi front, I don't see her doing anything outside of WWE wrestling wise unless she got a nice deal from AEW. She's been around forever in WWE and married to Jimmy Uso, she's always going to have a connection there, I just don't see her doing an indy tour or signing to iMPACT or something of that nature.

I mean, they also didn't get much of the sizzle reel, and I don't buy "there was a Dynamite" as an excuse because Discovery/WB could have solicited a video or AEW could have done a pre-taped segment to free up one of their stars. I don't think Dynamite and a PPV in two weeks is stopping AEW from sending anyone to up-fronts if Discovery/WB wants them there. 

But eh, you know, I will agree to disagree about how ominous or not the up-fronts were for AEW. I will say that even if AEW is beloved by the new leadership, it probably behooves Sasha to focus less on wrestling if she can and if that's what she wants to do for now. 

It seems like you’ve kind of just made your mind up that AEW has a problem with their network, which is fine, but there is literally no solid evidence to support it. The notion that AEW has any kind of TV issues is purely an invention of the wrestling bubble.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, EVA said:

It seems like you’ve kind of just made your mind up that AEW has a problem with their network, which is fine, but there is literally no solid evidence to support it. The notion that AEW has any kind of TV issues is purely an invention of the wrestling bubble.

And it seems like you've made up your mind that AEW is perfectly fine with the network, which is fine, but there's just as much solid evidence. We'll see when the new TV contract comes up.

I know that some people in the wrestling bubble are desperate for a legitimate stateside competitor to WWE, so they get very territorial about that. 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 1

I'm going to tread lightly because this could be misconstrued as an anti-AEW post and it really is my favorite promotion despite some concerns I have but..  I did think it was noteworthy how quiet Warner/Discovery were on AEW at upfront. Now this is a promotion that usually either wins Wednesday night for them or comes close to it week in and week out, you'd think they'd want to hype that more instead of it being a secret that they have tucked away in its own universe. I hope the new executives aren't "embarrassed" to have wrestling as one of their entertainment leaders. HBO and the like have built up their reputation on prestige. But then there's Discovery who have built their most recent model on the backs of reality show trash so you'd want to believe that aren't going to pretend to be above it all when it comes to wrestling.  Just an odd thing, it did bother me that AEW didn't have much of a presence.

• Like 1