DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Not sure if this is true, but Meltzer stated on WOR that WWE froze Sasha and Naomi's contracts, and they will be kept on ice as long as possible. He said if they really wanted to leave, they should not have walked out.

Fucking CALLED it!

Never put it past WWE to hold their INDEPENDANT CONTRACTORS hostage.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

They should be able to challenge it, if true. You can't suspend someone without pay forever. Unless they want to suspend them with pay which sounds like a good deal. Plenty of concerts this Summer.

I don't think it's without pay. The only way they can freeze the amount of time passing on a contract (which is what they mean when they say freeze it), is if they're still paying the wrestler their downside guarantee. So they would get paid whatever their base salary is.  But if say Sasha had 5 months left on her deal when she walked out, in 5 months she'll still have 5 months left assuming she doesn't come back. She'll be at 5 months indefinitely until they "unfreeze" it. I know they used the word suspended. But I don't think they can suspend her without pay AND freeze her contract. It's gotta be one or the other.

She can do whatever she wants during that time, except wrestling for a non WWE entity.

Read that Sasha Banks wasn't happy as she was booked to face Charlotte Flair in the Smackdown Women's Championship main event of WrestleMania XXXVIII but Ronda Rousey replaced her. Don't blame Sasha getting miffed by that - she's IMO the best female wrestler in WWE since 2015 and Rousey's hasn't come to close to her first WWE run. Rousey is a piece of shit more importantly.

Edited by The Natural

45 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Read that Sasha Banks wasn't happy as she was booked to face Charlotte Flair in the Smackdown Women's Championship main event of WrestleMania XXXVIII but Ronda Rousey replaced her. Don't blame Sasha getting miffed by that - she's IMO the best female wrestler in WWE since 2015 and Rousey's hasn't come to close to her first WWE run. Rousey is a piece of shit more importantly.

Years ago (before AEW existed) I said that Sasha should walk away from WWE and become a 'Big Fish in a Small Pond' to see if she really does stack up. Now that AEW exists I absolutely think she should get out if she can.

I don't want AEW signing people left and right but if Sasha Mercedes/Mercedes Banks/Koska Reeves whatever she wants to call herself walked into AEW she would immediately be the focal point of that women's division.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I still think booking Charlotte Flair vs. Ronda Rousey for Rousey's big return match was stupid. Lynch was the one who "pinned" her to win the Raw title in the first place. Rousey coming back, winning the Rumble and saying nah she wants Charlotte instead was above the height of stupidity. Becky Lynch should've stood up and pointed this out. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

Years ago (before AEW existed) I said that Sasha should walk away from WWE and become a 'Big Fish in a Small Pond' to see if she really does stack up. Now that AEW exists I absolutely think she should get out if she can.

I don't want AEW signing people left and right but if Sasha Mercedes/Mercedes Banks/Koska Reeves whatever she wants to call herself walked into AEW she would immediately be the focal point of that women's division.

I'm the exact opposite. I don't want either of them coming anywhere near AEW, as I'd like to continue to enjoy it.

35 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I still think booking Charlotte Flair vs. Ronda Rousey for Rousey's big return match was stupid. Lynch was the one who "pinned" her to win the Raw title in the first place. Rousey coming back, winning the Rumble and saying nah she wants Charlotte instead was above the height of stupidity. Becky Lynch should've stood up and pointed this out. 

Ronda isn't really known for her intelligence, to be honest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/21/2022 at 1:34 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

You say C-list level actress but I'm pretty sure like 95% of black people who were watching Raw at the time were like, "Is that Thea Vidale...what the fuck is going on?"

I'm STILL surprised WWE got like a real actress of instead some random lady from the indies or like a Sapphire situation where it's some superfan that's been hanging around forever. The storyline itself was pretty bizarre, but that aspect itself still blows my mind.

I remember fan theory that Shelton and Brandy where brother and sister

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, A_K said:

Yeah .. I'd heartily recommend you listen back to Mark Henry/Bubba Ray Dudley podcast where they merrily discuss their antics about "educating someone in the physical manner because they're not getting it verbally .. there is nothing wrong with that, if you can't understand verbally, you need to be educated in a physical way", and castigate any talent (or rather - as Mark elegantly puts it - "soft ass people") who would report assault to management or the agents ("which ha ha .. is really fucking dumb .. because the agents are just one of the boys anyway").

I know he's popular here but how is Mark Henry, one of the worst wrestlers of all time, going to trot this kind of opinion out? It took him 15 years to figure out how to wrestle and he had to retire a few years after that because he can't stay in shape. Can't understand why AEW ever signed him. He's a terrible commentator and seems to have a toxic old school attitude. 

• Like 2

I think if Tony K can get Sasha then he's bringing in Sasha.

You give her the Daniel Bryan start of pushing the champ to the limit 2-3 times without getting the win before cooling off and doing something else.

Sasha vs Rosa/Baker, Lights Out, would be amazing.

Sasha ragdolling for Nyla Rose or Jade Cargill, would be amazing.

Sasha getting 20+ minutes with Toni Storm or Jayme Hayter would be amazing.

Could AEW handle Women's Tag Titles? Sasha being the progenitor and Ace of that championship division would be awesome!

She doesn't need to be THE champ though, she just wants her work to be something meaningful, rather than a throw away title match that's not doing anything for anyone.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

I'm the exact opposite. I don't want either of them coming anywhere near AEW, as I'd like to continue to enjoy it.

Some people aren't going to like this especially you but Sasha and Naomi (or a few other WWE women) could walk into AEW and instantly be the most well rounded women's star in the entire company. 

This isn't an AEW vs. WWE thing as I much prefer most things AEW does but their women's division is still severely lacking in star power. 

Dr. Britt Baker has regressed. She had an awesome match against Thunder Rosa and then forgot how to work or maybe she's just the women's version of Edge and needs smoke and mirrors to have a great match. It also didn't help that they tried to put her with Adam Cole when she's gotten over on her own. 

All the momentum that Tay Conti had: gone. I don't care about her personal life and nobody else does either. Her and Sammy have been a horrible pairing. I am not even sure if Tay has had a match since she got put into the Dan Lambert shit that's stayed way past its expiration date. 

Jade Cargill and the baddies are a great act but why is most of it on Rampage and not the main show. They are still only doing 1 women's match a week on Dynamite most weeks. 

Thunder Rosa: an afterthought. This feud with Serena Deeb hasn't landed, it came out of nowhere and Deeb's promo on Dustin was cringworthy, she has got to improve her mic skills. Thunder Rosa also got put into a nothing feud with Nyla, very much reminiscent of whenever a champion would have their first feud with Kane. That always told you where the reign was headed. 

Owen Hart Cup: another miss. Probably Dr. Britt's to lose since Ruby Soho has exactly one victory on Dynamite and Statlander is only called up from YouTube randomly when they need to throw her in something. 

Not that WWE is doing "better" than AEW with their own women's division but they have 7-8 women that are at least recognized for their star power and that helps propel the division along even when creative is trash which it almost always is.

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Some people aren't going to like this especially you but Sasha and Naomi (or a few other WWE women) could walk into AEW and instantly be the most well rounded women's star in the entire company. 

This isn't an AEW vs. WWE thing as I much prefer most things AEW does but their women's division is still severely lacking in star power. 

Dr. Britt Baker has regressed. She had an awesome match against Thunder Rosa and then forgot how to work or maybe she's just the women's version of Edge and needs smoke and mirrors to have a great match. It also didn't help that they tried to put her with Adam Cole when she's gotten over on her own. 

All the momentum that Tay Conti had: gone. I don't care about her personal life and nobody else does either. Her and Sammy have been a horrible pairing. I am not even sure if Tay has had a match since she got put into the Dan Lambert shit that's stayed way past its expiration date. 

Jade Cargill and the baddies are a great act but why is most of it on Rampage and not the main show. They are still only doing 1 women's match a week on Dynamite most weeks. 

Thunder Rosa: an afterthought. This feud with Serena Deeb hasn't landed, it came out of nowhere and Deeb's promo on Dustin was cringworthy, she has got to improve her mic skills. Thunder Rosa also got put into a nothing feud with Nyla, very much reminiscent of whenever a champion would have their first feud with Kane. That always told you where the reign was headed. 

Owen Hart Cup: another miss. Probably Dr. Britt's to lose since Ruby Soho has exactly one victory on Dynamite and Statlander is only called up from YouTube randomly when they need to throw her in something. 

Not that WWE is doing "better" than AEW with their own women's division but they have 7-8 women that are at least recognized for their star power and that helps propel the division along even when creative is trash which it almost always is.

For your Statlander point, she was in a full time feud with Leyla Hirsch but Hirsch's injury threw that off track. Red Velvet has gotten the most out of that, joining up with The Baddies.

• Like 1

Sasha was a better developed version of Britt even when she was still in NXT. She’d absolutely eclipse everyone, but the women’s division need their version of a Punk or Bryan pickup. That wasn’t something I would’ve endorsed before, but outside of building Cargill they’ve really struggled this year to make things feel important. 

Bring Sasha in on a part time schedule with a part time salary (probably still significant). Let her do some Japan excursions if she wants. Let her act. Have her do media for the company. Use Snoop again. Let her bleed. Sasha's a fan and she would probably revel in an environment where she'd get to wrestle instead of sports entertain a bit. If she's out there having fun, she'll probably be pretty entertaining.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Toni Storm says "G'day"

• Like 2

The thing about women's wrestling being an afterthought/sideshow eye-candy act forever is that when WWE finally decided to take it seriously, they cornered the market even more than the men's side in the 2010s. Home-grown stars, the best available indy workers, top talent from Japan... They literally had it all. Like when AEW started, WWE easily had the 10 best NA women under contract, possibly 20. There was no Kenny Omega like figure for AEW's women's division, nor anyone with the recognizability of Jericho or Cody. AEW has had to build their women's division from the ground up, and to their credit have done as well as they can acquiring talent. It's still the one aspect of their show that compares poorly to WWE, even in 2022. Sasha going there would be the women's equivalent of getting CM Punk.

On a side note, I wonder how much Tony would have to pay to get the rights to the "Sasha Banks" name and music. It would feel weird to see her under a new name, admittedly.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 4

Unless it was crazy money, I don’t know why Vince would let them use her WWE  name. I mean, Mercedes is actually a great name for the Boss character. And Snoop would prob be happy to make her a new song (esp if TK paid for it), since many of her fans would go to iTunes and download it. 

• Like 2

There's no way they get to use the Boss thing either. So go with alliteration.

The Mafiosa Mercedes KV

Then have a badass feud with OG Mercedes Martinez.

I mean, make sure it's not a week that you have any other women's match slotted for Dynamite since you can only have one of those a week but...

Do what I say and if you don't like it you can't leave. Instead, we will use strong-arm, possibly illegal tactics to put you in your place, screw you financially and make anyone else think twice about getting out of line. 

I just hate these tactics. Even if WWE believes Sasha/Naomi are in the wrong, if they value them enough to hold them onto them, sit down and work it out. 

• Like 1