DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

On 5/20/2022 at 4:17 PM, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

How easy is it to get to London from Cardiff or Swansea or anywhere in Wales? 

They should maybe tour and run a building actually in like Swansea or something (and do a stadium show in London at Craven Cottage if they think they can fill it). 

How popular is AEW in the UK, anyway?

Getting from London to the major south Wales cities is straightforward: go to Paddington Station, jump on the train, get off in Central Cardiff less than 2 hours later. Swansea is about another hour but the train is still direct from London.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

And this is probably the video that was being referenced. After watching this, I'm gonna put the onus on "creative". You have a guy who can do this shit. Figure out a way to maximize his strengths. Who cares if he doesn't come off well in musical chair skits or cut nursery rhyme promos with catchphrases. Figure it out. Give him a mouthpiece or put him against people who can carry a feud on the mic. Or I guess you could just hire some C-list level actress as his "Momma" and give him shirts that make him look like a dime store Rock. Whatever floats your boat.

This makes me think of Ricochet, if your that good in ring I don't care about lack of promo  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

What’s the Miro/Punk thing?

Miro posted a laughing emoji in response to Punk's comments on the Naomi/Sasha thing. People will read that different ways but I took it to mean that he thought Punk was full of shit to be pushing a "solidarity with workers" angle given the way Punk has talked about him and Lana in the past. 

You know Punk tells this story to show how we was trying to help a new guy but I'm guessing "that fucking Rusev guy" and "fucking scared of me" didn't win him a ton of goodwill.

Punk also publicly mocked the Bobby Lashley/Rusev angle when he was doing commentary on WWE Backstage and said that "the loser should have to keep Lana". That led to some spat with Lana on Twitter (probably staged) but he basically continued to shit over the angle. Which isn't exactly showing support for colleagues who are doing the best with the material they are given. Although I'm guessing he thinks they should have stood up for themselves more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Who did, "Hey, that black guy has blonde hair" as a gimmick better: "The Natural" Butch Reed, or "The Gold Standard" Shelton Benjamin?

Sweet Daddy Siki

tumblr_pa7y13aS221wo0mn6o1_1280.jpg

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Library Dude said:

Miro posted a laughing emoji in response to Punk's comments on the Naomi/Sasha thing. People will read that different ways but I took it to mean that he thought Punk was full of shit to be pushing a "solidarity with workers" angle given the way Punk has talked about him and Lana in the past. 

You know Punk tells this story to show how we was trying to help a new guy but I'm guessing "that fucking Rusev guy" and "fucking scared of me" didn't win him a ton of goodwill.

I know Punk comes across as a prick in his delivery but I never saw it as an attack on Rusev personally as much as it was an example of how on eggshells the new guys are in that company. He was brand new to the main roster and you can really blame the guy for not wanting to step on any toes. It was really good of Punk to give him that advice knowing the environment. 

And the situation with he and Lana has to be the most obvious example or at least top 2 or 3 blantantly obvious examples of them fucking with a couple just because they could long before the angle with Lashley. So I can see Punk being genuinely bothered by them not standing up for themselves especially by the time the Lashley angle came around Plus Rusev had been around long enough any had no delusions about where they saw him in the company by then.

I agree with Mark Henry 100% about how unnecessary WWE burying Naomi and Sasha on TV. I do believe he is genuinely upset about it but up until he wasn't under contract with WWE he seemed to be very pro company over the talent in other instances. His response to the situation really makes me hope Uce really voiced his displeasure about the situation. If he walked out over it , it probably would have hurt company more than Sasha and Naomi given how the Usos are directly tied to Roman on TV.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I know Punk comes across as a prick in his delivery but I never saw it as an attack on Rusev personally as much as it was an example of how on eggshells the new guys are in that company. He was brand new to the main roster and you can really blame the guy for not wanting to step on any toes. It was really good of Punk to give him that advice knowing the environment. 

And the situation with he and Lana has to be the most obvious example or at least top 2 or 3 blantantly obvious examples of them fucking with a couple just because they could long before the angle with Lashley. So I can see Punk being genuinely bothered by them not standing up for themselves especially by the time the Lashley angle came around Plus Rusev had been around long enough any had no delusions about where they saw him in the company by then.

I agree with Mark Henry 100% about how unnecessary WWE burying Naomi and Sasha on TV. I do believe he is genuinely upset about it but up until he wasn't under contract with WWE he seemed to be very pro company over the talent in other instances. His response to the situation really makes me hope Uce really voiced his displeasure about the situation. If he walked out over it , it probably would have hurt company more than Sasha and Naomi given how the Usos are directly tied to Roman on TV.

Where would standing up to WWE at that point would've gotten Rusev and Lana? At the very least, Rusev was able to get a body of work and managed to get over with the fans, so he could have something going on when he left. 

21 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Who did, "Hey, that black guy has blonde hair" as a gimmick better: "The Natural" Butch Reed, or "The Gold Standard" Shelton Benjamin?

the answer is Dusty Rhodes

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Yeah It is hard for Punk to support your fellow man whether you believe in it or not when you have ghosted your best friend for close to a decade based on what happened with Punk leaving the WWE

He didn't just wake up one day and say fuck my best friend. There are mitigating circumstances here and money issues and promises that may have been made / lied about. We don't know all the details. For all we know Colt could have done something shitty in this situation that hasn't gotten out to the public. Not really fair to use interpersonal dynamics of a friendship we don't know all the details of to damn one side.

16 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Where would standing up to WWE at that point would've gotten Rusev and Lana? At the very least, Rusev was able to get a body of work and managed to get over with the fans, so he could have something going on when he left. 

He did manage to get over with the fans. Big time actually with that Rusev Day stuff. Did that matter? He was slotted where he was slotted by the office. No amount of being a good soldier and getting over and delivering his best could change that. It's been proven that McMahon respects the people that stand up to him more than the people who just go with the flow. Not saying walking out back then would have made him a mega star. But keeping quiet sure didn't either.

I personally respect the guys & girls more who will put their foot down and have some integrity and say I don't think this is very good, we should be doing better. And I think the positioning and power the wrestlers would be able to wield would be better off if they rallied behind each other in circumstances like this. Not expecting others to walk over it. Just showing support online. Posting about not agreeing with WWE being petty. Putting it out there that it's not right. You don't have to quit. But staying silent doesn't help anyone. It just hurts yourself when and if they decide to treat you like that.

• Like 1

Just now, NoFistsJustFlips said:

He didn't just wake up one day and say fuck my best friend. There are mitigating circumstances here and money issues and promises that may have been made / lied about. We don't know all the details. For all we know Colt could have done something shitty in this situation that hasn't gotten out to the public. Not really fair to use interpersonal dynamics of a friendship we don't know all the details of to damn one side.

He did manage to get over with the fans. Big time actually with that Rusev Day stuff. Did that matter? He was slotted where he was slotted by the office. No amount of being a good soldier and getting over and delivering his best could change that. It's been proven that McMahon respects the people that stand up to him more than the people who just go with the flow. Not saying walking out back then would have made him a mega star. But keeping quiet sure didn't either.

I personally respect the guys & girls more who will put their foot down and have some integrity and say I don't think this is very good, we should be doing better. And I think the positioning and power the wrestlers would be able to wield would be better off if they rallied behind each other in circumstances like this. Not expecting others to walk over it. Just showing support online. Posting about not agreeing with WWE being petty. Putting it out there that it's not right. You don't have to quit. But staying silent doesn't help anyone. It just hurts yourself when and if they decide to treat you like that.

Yes it did matter in the sense he was able to sign a contract somewhere else after he got released. It helped him move merchandise and make money. The problem is the people it didn't matter to are WWE and Vince McMahon who basically punished Rusev for not getting over when they weren't pushing him and didn't want to get over that way. It matters to Rusev because it helped him build a fanbase and a following so he can make a living.

If a guy like Cardona is willing to put his career on the line and stand up for himself, I say go for it. But it's really not going to matter unless bigger stars start doing it en masse, people at a Roman Reigns, Ronda Rousey, Randy Orton level.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Yeah .. I'd heartily recommend you listen back to Mark Henry/Bubba Ray Dudley podcast where they merrily discuss their antics about "educating someone in the physical manner because they're not getting it verbally .. there is nothing wrong with that, if you can't understand verbally, you need to be educated in a physical way", and castigate any talent (or rather - as Mark elegantly puts it - "soft ass people") who would report assault to management or the agents ("which ha ha .. is really fucking dumb .. because the agents are just one of the boys anyway").

Ironically one story is where one of the La Resistance guys asks Bubba why he is 'shooting' on him in the ring, so Bubba of course smacks him around the face until Laurinaitis (of all people) had to step in to stop Bubba from - in his own words - "beating on the young boys". These are company men, full of shit nasty pieces of work who will take whichever side of the argument enriches them most in the moment they are in. Complete and utter hypocrites on this subject.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if this is true, but Meltzer stated on WOR that WWE froze Sasha and Naomi's contracts, and they will be kept on ice as long as possible. He said if they really wanted to leave, they should not have walked out.

5 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Not sure if this is true, but Meltzer stated on WOR that WWE froze Sasha and Naomi's contracts, and they will be kept on ice as long as possible. He said if they really wanted to leave, they should not have walked out.

I don't think Vince was letting either of them leave anyway. Meltzer's point is moot mute myoote.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2