DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

Roman Reigns next three rumoured opponents:

Spoiler

Dave Meltzer reported in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that WWE is talking about having Riddle face Reigns at Money in the Bank, Orton face Reigns at SummerSlam, and McIntyre face Reigns at Clash at the Castle. 

Amazing to think Roman Reigns and Randy Orton have only ever had one singles match on PPV, SummerSlam 2014. That was when the Shield split and Roman Reigns wore his Shield garb with shitty trim:

R.c3fe8785dc27361f9901b8258e5bf3e0?rik=g

SummerSlam 2014.

rr-1422176283-2325427.jpg

TLC 2014.

14 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Before we open the box...  Are any of Roman's rumored future opponents good? Are they retreads? 

All three opponents are good.

Two retreads, both haven't happened in a singles match for a while. One in particular.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Still waiting for Roman Reigns and AJ Styles to go at it again. The brief 2016 program was great: Payback and especially Extreme Rules. Need to watch those back again.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Didn't see the ticket prices actually written anywhere in the thread. The cheapest seats are £112.50 ($140), ringside tickets are averaging £1500 ($1873). So yeah, completely ridiculous considering the current cost of living crisis.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hide contents

Dave Meltzer reported in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter that WWE is talking about having Riddle face Reigns at Money in the Bank, Orton face Reigns at SummerSlam, and McIntyre face Reigns at Clash at the Castle. 

Amazing to think Roman Reigns and Randy Orton have only ever had one singles match on PPV, SummerSlam 2014. That was when the Shield split and Roman Reigns wore his Shield garb with shitty trim:

SummerSlam 2014.

TLC 2014.

All three are good though I only have decent faith in two of them really delivering. Still would rather se AJ, Nakamura, and WALTER/GUNTHER challenge.

1 hour ago, Leonidas said:

Didn't see the ticket prices actually written anywhere in the thread. The cheapest seats are £112.50 ($140), ringside tickets are averaging £1500 ($1873). So yeah, completely ridiculous considering the current cost of living crisis.

It would be cheaper to fly to America and attend Wrestlemania.

It's as if they're upset at not getting to do two years' worth of UK tours, so they decided to try and recoup all that lost revenue in one show.

Edited by AxB

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Has Overeem ever wrestled before?

It's funny because Overeem went on a rant either last year or the year before about wrestling being phony and whatnot. Given that K-1 is basically all Japanese natives and much lower profile than the 90s/2000s heyday and Glory is basically in shambles, he no longer can do kickboxing. No Japanese (or Asian if we're counting ONE) MMA company is gonna pay him what Dream, Strikeforce, and UFC were paying him. He's pretty much screwed in terms of places to make income. Guess wrestling was his best bet.

That said, if he was still on the gimmick and still looked like "Ubereem", he would have made such money in pro wrestling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No Japanese MMA company is gonna pay him what Dream, Strikeforce, and UFC were paying him. 

you're right but i think Rizin will get him for one or two fights anyway. or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hide contents

SummerSlam 2014.

TLC 2014.

Loooool so the same plan they had for the women — job the tag champs to the individual titleholder(s).  Who says creative has no more good ideas?

These ticket prices, man.  I saw Sting win his first world title for probably $20. Unless you got something better then that, fuck outta here with that shit.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, twiztor said:

you're right but i think Rizin will get him for one or two fights anyway. or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I mean they could, but to fight who exactly? I think a few years ago when they were still experimenting with bringing random foreigners and ex-sumo guys, it was definitely possible. Now it seems like they're doing stuff strictly in the lower weight classes. Of course that could change if and when Japan fully eases some covid restrictions, but even then I think Overeem is still too rich for their blood beyond one fight or two.

Shit, I would think even with Glory crumbling, they would offer him good money to fight Badr Hari (or maybe Rico Verhoeven) in the Netherlands or Belgium. However, last time Badr Hari fought, they had a full scale riot with Polish soccer hooligans and the entire arena almost got torn down. Also, Badr Hari ain't won a fight in forever. So that might be off the table.

I just think he's running out of options. He literally went from "fuck fake ass pro wrestling and pro wrestlers are pussies" to "yeah, I will wrestle Braun Strowman for some money mark with absolutely zero pro wrestling experience under my belt". That's full on desperation.

• Like 1

Did UFC cut him, or was it just a contract ended and they were far apart on figures for another one? And Bellator didn't want him either?

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Did UFC cut him, or was it just a contract ended and they were far apart on figures for another one? And Bellator didn't want him either?

He got cut on the same day Junior dos Santos got cut, which is funny since he actually has his first non UFC fight since 2008 tonight in Khabib's promotion.

While looking it up, I actually found a quote from ole Mr. Sakakibara who runs RIZIN regarding Overeem fighting there potentially. This was right after he was cut by UFC:

“He would obviously need to understand the current Japanese market and his value for all of this to happen though,” Sakakibara continued. “He should do us an old friend’s favor and fight for the amount he made his debut in like old times. All jokes aside, I would have no problem working with him if the numbers make sense for us, and I’m sure there will be many fans who would want to see him end his career in Japan.”

So yeah lol, don't expect him to be fighting in Rizin anytime soon.

As for Bellator, given how much they're running shows pretty regularly in Europe now, I'm guessing they had no interest like you said or they would potentially lowball him if they haven't already. I mean if Fedor is having a retirement fight or a series of retirement fights like he's Riki Choshu, you would think Overeem would be a logical opponent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That AoP card exists in the nether zone between potentially interesting and absolute trash. Some good/fun workers but I could see it being a total nostalgia money grab. It really reminds me of the Euro tours all the ex-WWF folks would do.

Date: 27.04.1993

Promotion:m World Wrestlings Superstars

Arena: Stadthalle

The Cheetah Kid defeats Johnny Rotten (13:44)

The American Indians (Brave Sky & Nikona) defeat Cuban Assassin & Mike Lane (w/The Hustler) (15:24)

Bambi & Candi Devine defeat Leilani Kai & Peggy Lee Leather

The Warlord defeats Butch Reed (16:01)

Jake Roberts defeats Greg Valentine (w/Madusa) by DQ (19:28)

The Warrior defeats Hercules (w/The Hustler)

Attention DEAN - Candi Devine AND Leilani Kai mentioned on this thread. Run, don't walk.

Y'know --- for the kids.

• Like 2

The one-two punch of the Naomi/Banks and Stephanie McMahon events really has me reeling. I would think that those could become two of the stories of the year, especially with more development and fallout with N&B and an explanation for SM. Not only is the year not even half over, but I have a feeling that some more big shake-ups, changes and surprises (for most) with long term effects are going to keep coming, and soon.

7 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

The one-two punch of the Naomi/Banks and Stephanie McMahon events really has me reeling. I would think that those could become two of the stories of the year, especially with more development and fallout with N&B and an explanation for SM. Not only is the year not even half over, but I have a feeling that some more big shake-ups, changes and surprises (for most) with long term effects are going to keep coming, and soon.

Well,  Stephanie hasn't been involved directly in creative for about 15 years. Yes she's been an on air authority figure and had like 1 or two major angles that she was the focus of but she's mainly been on the corporate end. Shane's story had a bigger effect because it effected one of the biggest matches of the year and Mania plans.

As for Sasha and Naomi,  I agree with Dave that this was probably more of a contract leverage thing than anything else. If so than WWE is probably looking at this as these women are setting a bad precedent and is just another reason for WWE not to push the person over the brand itself. 

I was surprised how many news outlets outside Wrestling covered Naomi and Sasha walking out or WWEs statement E news and TMZ an a few others I seen

So 2022 in wrestling so far:

• Cody Rhodes leaves AEW for WWE. Huge unexpected development.
  • WWE stupidly fire William Regal. William Regal debuts at AEW Revolution.
  • Ronda Rousey wins the Women's Royal Rumble match as a surprise entrant. Brock Lesnar wins the Men's after losing the WWE Championship to Bobby Lashley earlier in the show. Man this show pissed me off.
  • Cesaro leaves WWE.
  • Shane McMahon gets canned from WWE.
  • Steve Austin has his first match in 19 years at WrestleMania XXXVIII beating Kevin Owens in the main event.
  • Roman Reigns is the first to hold the WWE Championship and WWE Universal Championship at the same time. Reigns' WWE Universal Championship reign is now 600+ days.
  • The Undertaker goes into the WWE Hall of Fame.
  • Surprisingly the Steiner Brothers do, more so Scott Steiner with what he's said about Triple H and Vince McMahon.
  • RIP Scott Hall.
  • Big E breaks his neck.
  • AEW and NJPW announcement of a joint PPV, Forbidden Door.
  • Tony Khan buys Ring of Honour.
  • ROH return with Supercard of Honour with a dream match that delivers, #FTR vs. Briscoe Brothers. *****.
  • Triple H announces his retirement.
  • Looks like Kota Ibushi will be fired by NJPW.
  • Shinjiro Ohtani is paralysed during a match for Pro Wrestling Zero1.
  • The Owen Hart Cup Men's and Women's Tournaments for AEW and the Owen Hart Foundation are ongoing.
  • Sasha Banks and Naomi walk out of WWE this week and get buried by them more than anyone since Steve Austin's 20 years ago.
  • Stephanie McMahon takes a leave of absence from WWE.
  • The first major WWE PPV in the UK for 30 years, Clash at the Castle hasn't sold the expected amount of tickets, way too expensive.

Very eventful year.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When I was looking to possible upgrade my tickets at the AEW show in Austin, which wasn’t a PPV, the front row camera facing seats were valued at $1200. Folks here explained to me that it’s something that Ticketmaster has been doing with certain bands and entertainment groups to counter bots and scalpers.

• Like 2

I saw a video and it made me wonder...

Is Shelton Benjamin the Brad Armstrong of the this century? Supreme athletic worker that just didn't have "it" to become a bona-fide main event superstar?

• Like 7

12 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

That AoP card exists in the nether zone between potentially interesting and absolute trash. Some good/fun workers but I could see it being a total nostalgia money grab. It really reminds me of the Euro tours all the ex-WWF folks would do.

Date: 27.04.1993

Promotion:m World Wrestlings Superstars

Arena: Stadthalle

The Cheetah Kid defeats Johnny Rotten (13:44)

The American Indians (Brave Sky & Nikona) defeat Cuban Assassin & Mike Lane (w/The Hustler) (15:24)

Bambi & Candi Devine defeat Leilani Kai & Peggy Lee Leather

The Warlord defeats Butch Reed (16:01)

Jake Roberts defeats Greg Valentine (w/Madusa) by DQ (19:28)

The Warrior defeats Hercules (w/The Hustler)

Attention DEAN - Candi Devine AND Leilani Kai mentioned on this thread. Run, don't walk.

Y'know --- for the kids.

It made me think of that Italian guy that would fly in a bunch of US and Japanese workers for tours.

Like this random-ass collection of talent:

Singles Match

Seven defeats Darren Burridge

Triple Threat Ladder Match

Jack Evans defeats Fire Angel and Thunder Storm

Singles Match

Ultimo Dragon defeats Low Ki

Three Way Dance

Black Pearl defeats Charlie Haas and Ekmo

Singles Match

Tonga Kid defeats Brian Lawler

Tag Team Match