DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

7 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

What I can never wrap my finger around is why a company which is supposedly having record levels of success seems to be in a constant state of turmoil. 

Because the person in charge of it is a 75 year old cocaine addict who sleeps 2 hours a night and has (likely) had multiple undiagnosed concussions

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Apparently the Authors of Pain are putting together a series of shows. First one is next month and here's the card:

World Championship match: Adam Scherr (Braun Strowman) vs. Alistair Overeem
Women's Championship match: Lina Fanene (Nia Jax) vs. CJ Perry (Lana)
Tag Team Championship match: Gzim Selmani & Sunny Dhinsa (The Authors of Pain) vs. Westin Blake & Steve Maclin (Wesley Blake & Steve Cutler)
Killer Kross (Karrion Kross) vs. Samuray Del Sol (Kalisto) vs. JONAH (Bronson Reed)
Women's Tag Team Championship match: Madison Rayne & Tenille Dashwood vs. Deonna Purrazzo & Chelsea Green
Dean Muhtadi (Mojo Rawley) vs. Lince Dorado
Pre-show match: Mike Bennett (Mike Kanellis) vs. Biff Busick (Oney Lorcan)
Pre-show match: Dirty Dango (Fandango) vs. Levis Valenzuela Jr. (No Way Jose)

11 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

Apparently the Authors of Pain are putting together a series of shows. First one is next month and here's the card:

World Championship match: Adam Scherr (Braun Strowman) vs. Alistair Overeem
Women's Championship match: Lina Fanene (Nia Jax) vs. CJ Perry (Lana)
Tag Team Championship match: Gzim Selmani & Sunny Dhinsa (The Authors of Pain) vs. Westin Blake & Steve Maclin (Wesley Blake & Steve Cutler)
Killer Kross (Karrion Kross) vs. Samuray Del Sol (Kalisto) vs. JONAH (Bronson Reed)
Women's Tag Team Championship match: Madison Rayne & Tenille Dashwood vs. Deonna Purrazzo & Chelsea Green
Dean Muhtadi (Mojo Rawley) vs. Lince Dorado
Pre-show match: Mike Bennett (Mike Kanellis) vs. Biff Busick (Oney Lorcan)
Pre-show match: Dirty Dango (Fandango) vs. Levis Valenzuela Jr. (No Way Jose)

So is this going to be streaming somewhere? Because otherwise how do they have pre-show matches?

Wait... Alistair Overeem?!!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

It's that time of year again!

i had a buddy get married on May 19th. it was either this same year or the next. i just remember calling him at all hours from random phones and just repeating the "may 19th" or whatever from these segments. i don't know if he ever "got" it (he was an on again, off again fan) but me and my other friend thought it was hilarious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Has Overeem ever wrestled before?

He has not.

To top the weirdness this show is taking place in England, so they're flying all these people over for, presumably, this one show.

It's happening in England, and they have booked precisely ZERO English wrestlers.

Now possibly the original ideal was that this would be Rockstar Spud's big in-ring comeback, and that's why they booked a venue in the Midlands. But he returned to the WWE (as a writer), so now they've got this huge building, overpriced tickets, and apparently nobody at all who is keen for the show. Like, there's more buzz for the WWE Cardiff show, and that's pretty fucking dead too,

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

He has not.

To top the weirdness this show is taking place in England, so they're flying all these people over for, presumably, this one show.

Yeah when they announced the name was Wrestling Entertainment *Series* I kinda figured it would be like that Hulk Hogan Australian tour

• Like 1

Not to be the "make it about AEW always" guy, but with the talk about ticket prices for WWE and WES there, this seems like a ripe situation for TK & Co. to swoop in and offer extremely affordable seats at Craven Cottage to endear themselves to the British fandom

• Like 9

How easy is it to get to London from Cardiff or Swansea or anywhere in Wales? 

They should maybe tour and run a building actually in like Swansea or something (and do a stadium show in London at Craven Cottage if they think they can fill it). 

How popular is AEW in the UK, anyway?

• Like 1

Hard to say. It gets much higher ratings than WWE, but then AEW is on Channel 3 (103 technically), which is free to everyone with a television. Whereas WWE is on Channel 527 which costs way extra,

But they've never toured, and they've barely had anyone under contract come over and work a Britwres indie show. So that's a Don't Know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Gorman said:

They just said Coach and Aiden English will be the announcers.

If Aiden does his commentary singing I would gladly pay $100 for the PPV.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, AxB said:

Hard to say. It gets much higher ratings than WWE, but then AEW is on Channel 3 (103 technically), which is free to everyone with a television. Whereas WWE is on Channel 527 which costs way extra,

But they've never toured, and they've barely had anyone under contract come over and work a Britwres indie show. So that's a Don't Know.

Thanks for the insight on that. As an American looking in, I was really just making a guess based on the ideas that TNA did well there with a similar TV presence, and that the WWF did well there in the mid '90s when business was in the toilet.

• Like 1

From whatculture regarding Clash in the Castle:

Ticket sales have failed to meet projections. 30,000 tickets have been sold at time of writing, despite WWE hyping up that 85,000 tickets had been signed up for to investors.

Historically low product interest in the UK, or the effects of the ongoing cost of living crisis?

Both and ludicrous ticket prices.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

From whatculture regarding Clash in the Castle:

Both and ludicrous ticket prices.

I am probably reasonably informed about the UK for an American, and I know that energy and food prices are so bad that deaths are up and people are worried about what the country will look like next winter if costs don't come down.

Wales is not the wealthiest country, either. Those ticket prices are bananas. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I am probably reasonably informed about the UK for an American, and I know that energy and food prices are so bad that deaths are up and people are worried about what the country will look like next winter if costs don't come down.

Wales is not the wealthiest country, either. Those ticket prices are bananas. 

Yeah, it's been a shitter in the UK and continues to be that way. Those ticket prices are obscene.

Edited by The Natural