DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

18 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

That's kind of how it came off to me. I feel like he's on Naomi and Banks' side here because he's spoken in the past before that he regrets not speaking up for himself more during some of those periods. 

That's how I took it also but he could have phrased that a whole lot better.  Considering he posts a ton on Twitter I unfollowed him for now.  I get wanting to put your brand out there but he posts too much for my liking.

• Like 1

Brock had 20 months non-compete on his original contract and even after the lawsuit, he wasn't allowed to work TNA. WWE claimed that Lesnar was unable to work for any other pro-wrestling or MMA promotion through 2010. He signed for that clause when he was about to leave WWE.

Alberto Del Rio sued too.

Both had settlements with WWE.

Brock and WWE had an agreement in 2006, to terminate the non-compete clause prematurely. Which enabled Brock to do what he wanted to do.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 2

See how AJ Styles and Finn Balor are doing the Bullet Club gimmick in WWE? Shouldn’t they be feuding, since AJ was the one who took over when Devitt was kicked out?

Also, surely Cody should also be in that team? As the leader and overall top guy? 

20 minutes ago, AxB said:

See how AJ Styles and Finn Balor are doing the Bullet Club gimmick in WWE? Shouldn’t they be feuding, since AJ was the one who took over when Devitt was kicked out?

Given this was how their match at TLC ended I'd assume they still have mutual respect for eachother.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

Thought it was pretty interesting today how Meltzer said there's "almost zero" backstage support for Sasha and Naomi. Said the word he kept hearing over and over again was "mark." She comes off as a mark for herself of the highest order, and I think that's why I dislike her so much. She's not nearly as important to that company's success as she thinks she is...

• Sad 1

LOL, that company is a company full of marks for themselves, not that I put much stock in anything Meltzer or Alvarez have to say. 

But even if it is true, those pots can absolutely meet the kettle.

• Like 6

Everybody is job scared, sucks up to the higher-ups, and desperately blasts anyone who dares to question their position or use and knows their own value? 

All those moves Nick Khan has made so WWE works just like any other American corporation?  It worked.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks for all the clarifications. As usual, it comes down to who can afford to pay their lawyers the longest.

I know that the 90 day clause is just for WWE, but I was wondering that since most contracts renew monthly, if the workers could take advantage of that cut clause. Anybody could sit home for the length of their contract, but if another fed was bold enough to use them before then (after the 90 days?) if the WWE would leap into petty action mode and if they had a real case. It is clearer to me now why no one would want to take that chance. I can see why Del Rio and Lesnar may have had some leverage, but what about Storm? I can only think of unfounded conspiratorial reasons...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

New Botchamania is out and they caught Taz saying out of the blue on Dark "In a side note unrelated to this match, I'm thinking about buying a submarine."

?

That whole Dark episode was Taz and Excalibur talking about everything but the matches.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

New Botchamania is out and they caught Taz saying out of the blue on Dark "In a side note unrelated to this match, I'm thinking about buying a submarine."

?

Did you miss DEAN drawing a helicopter after that one?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Plenty of other non pro-wrestling business have non-competes.

For WWE non-competes lawsuits, they get you under lawsuits when they suggest contract tampering even during those 90 days and other ways like breaching. You are still under WWE employment for those 90 days when you get released, your real release is after those 90 days, WWE non-competes are really notice periods.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1091907/000109190713000015/exhibit1017bookingagreement.htm

"11. EARLY TERMINATION

"11.1    (a)    This Agreement may be terminated by PROMOTER during the Term for any or no reason whatsoever by providing WRESTLER at least ninety (90) advance written notice of said termination. The ninetieth (90th) day shall be defined as the “Termination Date”.

Chelsea Green asked Johnny Ace to let her out of her non-compete early (Ace contacted the WWE laywers), so he did let Chelsea Green get out of her non-compete 1 week early so she could show up at ROH. But she didn't get her money in the last week.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

I know that the 90 day clause is just for WWE, but I was wondering that since most contracts renew monthly, if the workers could take advantage of that cut clause. Anybody could sit home for the length of their contract, but if another fed was bold enough to use them before then (after the 90 days?) if the WWE would leap into petty action mode and if they had a real case. It is clearer to me now why no one would want to take that chance. I can see why Del Rio and Lesnar may have had some leverage, but what about Storm? I can only think of unfounded conspiratorial reasons...

I think there's a misunderstanding in the bold part. They are for longer durations, usually 3 years or 5 years. No one is on a monthly contract. Now some did used to have rollover clauses but they weren't month to month. It's like if the agreement expires without the talent giving verbal notice they are leaving when the contract ends, it rolls over for another term. Meaning a 3 year auto renews another three year contract. But that is more of the old way they did things in the early 90s. Bret forgot to give notice in 1992 that he was going to leave. So when he was wanting to go to WCW it had auto renewed for another three years and he couldn't go.

Toni negotiated a full release somehow. Some people the office just likes and will allow them to leave like her & Andrade. Some people the office want to be punitive with like Brodie Lee & Pac. So they stay in purgatory until WWE feel like they taught them a lesson. If they showed up somewhere after 90 days it's irrelevant. As BD posed above, the verbiage in the contracts states the promoter can terminate with 90 day notice. The performers can not.

I believe the crux of the Lesnar suit was a bit different. He had a 10 year no compete that they were also enforcing on MMA. And wanted it enforced world wide. If memory serves me the court ruled that the no compete would stay in tact in the US, but Lesnar was free to wrestle outside of North America. Eventually they made a settlement after two years where Lesnar was let out of that 10 year no compete. And that's when he went to UFC.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
typos everywhere
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

LOL, that company is a company full of marks for themselves, not that I put much stock in anything Meltzer or Alvarez have to say. 

But even if it is true, those pots can absolutely meet the kettle.

"Mark for yourself" has always been kinda dumb. When you develop a character in the biz, that character is your money making potential. You need to protect it. Hogan, HBK, Austin, Cena, they're all who they are from being marks for themselves. Hell, Roddy Piper was such a mark for himself he wouldn't even job to Hogan. Or even like Scott Hall calling Bret Hart a mark for himself for having his house filled with memorabilia. If you went to Jimmy Page's house and his walls  were covered in guitars, gold records, and Led Zep swag, would you think, "Man, this Jimmy Page really is a mark for himself"...

• Like 9

4 hours ago, just drew said:

Thought it was pretty interesting today how Meltzer said there's "almost zero" backstage support for Sasha and Naomi. Said the word he kept hearing over and over again was "mark." She comes off as a mark for herself of the highest order, and I think that's why I dislike her so much. She's not nearly as important to that company's success as she thinks she is...

Sapp had a completely different report and he has more sources inside WWE now than Meltzer does. 

In the article he stated that there were performers supportive of Sasha and Naomi and some said that it was "about time someone took a stand". 

But there were others who weren't supportive so it's a mix as I'd imagine. I am sure all of their friends New Day, Usos, Bayley, Natalya, etc are very supportive. 

The people Meltzer spoke to don't support Sasha & Naomi, since he was explicitly talking about the people HE spoke to. People online are generalizing the entire thing (big surprise) and acting like he meant the entire locker room.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I saw the 5-year old's version of a  helicopter (sorry Dean haha) but guess I didnt read close enough to see what it was in reference to.

As long as it was not a drawing of Flair’s helicopter (and I don’t mean the 1985 Bash entrance).

• Haha 4

I cannot argue because my memory is so terrible (even moreso lately, aarghh) but I remember reading a discussion of the WWE contracts, and unless you have (aka are allowed to have) a really savvy lawyer read it AND have the juice to demand it, most WWE contracts are able to be terminated by them at any point before your 1/3/5 year renewal phase. Another way they get ya.

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Sapp had a completely different report and he has more sources inside WWE now than Meltzer does. 

In the article he stated that there were performers supportive of Sasha and Naomi and some said that it was "about time someone took a stand". 

But there were others who weren't supportive so it's a mix as I'd imagine. I am sure all of their friends New Day, Usos, Bayley, Natalya, etc are very supportive. 

“Everything Sasha does is ok because she’s the one doing it…”

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

Given this was how their match at TLC ended I'd assume they still have mutual respect for eachother.

maxresdefault.jpg

TLC 2017. An upgrade from:

R.8e920f47d8af4db4707c47e7b50a090e?rik=S

Same show, Kurt Angle had his first WWE match in 11 years joining the Shield.

OIP._XAVOOQbW6ZqmDg93c8BFgHaD4?pid=ImgDe

Roman Reigns and Bray Wyatt were pulled from the card through viral infection.

Edited by The Natural