DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

Fun fact: "moot" means, or at least originally meant, "debatable" or "up for debate", not "beside the point" or "irrelevant". The misuse has become common enough that it probably needs to be considered the standard definition now, but you do run the risk of annoying pedants if you use it in the sense used in that skit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After the story first broke, my assumption was that, given the nature of the match, one of them was booked to go over the other, possibly to start a DISSENSION~! angle. So, good to see that confirmed. Totally understand why they would balk at that, considering how they were (reportedly) sold on this tag title run.

I’m generally a big fan of “that doesn’t work for me, brother” because, you know, independent contractor. 

This one seems like a bad deal all the way around. On one hand, not cool to do this day of show when you’ve been advertised to the fans. On the other, it isn’t the talents’ fault that they only knew the creative in question the day of the show. 

In a sane world, talent has a general idea of the creative beforehand and hashes it out then. But in a world where creative on the operational treadmill just trying to get to the next show, it’s impossible to Hogan a scenario and not screw that night’s paying fans in the process. Lose/lose.

• Like 2

Also, assuming most of what's been reported is roughly true, good on them for calling bullshit on a setup where talent are encouraged to discuss creative issues with Vince, only for him to feign agreement so that his underlings can play the bad cop and insist people go with the garbage they'd been told to perform in the first place.

Get them on the rescue boat to AEW as soon as possible. It's only a slight exaggeration to say that the main reason they don't have multiple women's matches on Dynamite and a second hour of Rampage is that they don't have Sasha Banks yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

Fun fact: "moot" means, or at least originally meant, "debatable" or "up for debate", not "beside the point" or "irrelevant". The misuse has become common enough that it probably needs to be considered the standard definition now, but you do run the risk of annoying pedants if you use it in the sense used in that skit.

Oh man, don't teach me that.  I've been hung up on "less" vs "fewer" for the longest time already.

1 hour ago, tbarrie said:

The best way to teach the meaning of the word "Moot" comes from the 80s

James

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tbarrie said:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

*Moot

On an episode of My Name Is Earl, his brother explained that he always thought it was "mute" instead of "moot", since if the point is "mute" there's no point in arguing it, because you won't get a reply anyway!

Earl thought it made good enough sense.

Oops, I guess I should have written my reply outside of the quote box! Oh, well...

Edited by Shartnado
Technico Support said "*Moot" and that's all!

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I do think it's rather laughable that Naomi and Sasha would be voicing concerns over unsafe workers when they would have had the least amount of experience of that advertised 6.

What does that have to do with anything? If Becky is big-timing people and roughing them up because she's above getting punished (not saying that's the case, just using it as an example), then the amount of experience someone has is irrelevant to Becky's actions.

Let's keep in mind this is WWE's spin. So it shouldn't just be accepted as truth. But if it is the truth, let's hear Sasha & Naomi's reasoning before we just dismiss them as invalid based solely on how long their careers have been vs the others.

This is classic catty Vince.

“Asuka and Becky, it’s crazy how they took off like that, right? I didn’t want to say anything, but they were talking so much shit about you behind your backs.”

• Like 6

5 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

All I could glean from this:

* Contract issues

* Heat on Sasha Banks

That video is Dave at his Meltzer-iest.  12 minutes of talking in circles, only for him to wrap it up by saying something like “Well, I can’t really comment on the issue because I don’t really know what the issue is, so I can’t comment on it.”.  Ugh.  I want those twelve minutes back, Dave.

Dave did remind me that I forgot to go through my YouTube follows when I purged pro wres from my social media. Thanks, Dave.  Sorry I have to drop your channel.  

This incident feels like a shoot that will be turned into a work when all is said and done.  It’ll be interesting to see if Roman feels like getting involved to throw Naomi a lifeline.  Sasha could be out of luck, but Sasha went from being a main-eventer to being half of a “creative has nothing for you” tag team with Naomi.  It feels like she was on her way out anyway.

Kinda agree with the people speculating the “didn’t want to work with someone” thing is a cover story.  Contract issues seem plausible.  Meltzer speculated (?) Naomi and Sasha didn’t think Nikki and Doughdrop should be in the match and lobbied for them to be replaced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Oh man, don't teach me that.  I've been hung up on "less" vs "fewer" for the longest time already.

https://tenor.com/view/yoda-you-must-unlearn-what-you-have-learned-star-wars-empire-strikes-back-jedi-gif-11538657

Seriously though. I think my usage dictionary is at the office, so I can't check, but I'm pretty sure the idea that "less" and "fewer" are mutually exclusive is one of those pseudorules that somebody randomly pulled out of their ass at one point and convinced some other people to go along with. "Less" is the opposite of "more"; like "more", it can be used with both mass nouns and count nouns. "Fewer", of course, can only be used with count nouns. Somewhere along the line somebody thought it would be nice if their usage was symmetrical. And yeah, I can sort of see that it would be nice - but it's not so. Oh well.

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Just wait until "mute point" becomes the standard definition. I've seen it used so much over the past 10-15 years that I wouldn't be surprised to see that being the accepted usage soon. Another thing that I've seen is people saying something like, "I may be bias" instead of "biased". That bugs the hell out of me but it's commonly accepted nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1