DVDVR Message Board

MAY 2022 Pro Wrestling Discussion

8 hours ago, JLowe said:

I've lost count out of how many times they mention that Hook had a lacrosse scholarship to a Division 1 school.

Taz is just proud of his kid. I'm surprised he didn't end up with a lacrosse gimmick. The Goon, but with lacrosse stuff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Holy shit, there's Lance Archer working as Great Value Diesel to Kid Kash's Dollar General Shawn.  Now I need to go over this show and note how many people on it are still working regularly 18 years later.  And they're teaming with The Naturals!  The team Bryan Alvarez always mentions as his best example of teams with generic interchangeable members.  Later, announcers mention their names (Chase Stevens and Andy Douglas) and I recall that I could tell them apart by remembering that Douglas had blonde hair like Shane Douglas.  Hair things are how I tell all teams apart.  Like the Fantastics, where Bobby Fulton was blonde like Bobby Eaton while Tommy Rogers had brown hair...like Mr. Rogers.  I'm a weirdo.

Then they do a vignette where Dusty Rhodes and VINCE RUSSO are in an election to determine the Director of Authority.  That's DOA because acronyms are the beginning and end of Russo's cleverness.  Dusty is winning Texas while Russo is carrying New York.  Also, servers in STAMFORD crashed or some shit.  How did this end?  Some Bush/Gore controversy reference four years too late?  It's still more current than McMahon, though, who still trying to figure out a good Dewey/Truman angle.

That's when I realized the rest of the show would just be some Russo-ass Shit and I tuned out.  Good X Division match, though!

Close, but Chase had the blonde hair, Andy Douglas had dark hair. 

The Election was actually the end of Russo as an on-screen character and his write-off from the company for 2 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

A million percent. Even the name TNA probably put them behind the 8-ball in a lot of ways. I remember when it was rumored they were changing the name back in '06, I thought to myself, Great it's either going to be NWA or Impact Championship Wrestling or something - I never dreamed the TNA part of NWA-TNA would be what they kept. I have to imagine they alienated a lot of parents, women, and licensing partners with that name. Even Jim Cornette, who has one of the filthiest mouths on the planet, said that he would always over-anunciate T-N-A when making work calls.

FWIW, Jeff Jarrett claims that the six sided ring was the only way they could get their action figures into stores because most retailers didn't want to carry them since they already sold WWE toys. @JLowe

Oh I so agree. According to Corney TNA was just Russo's sense of humor. Imagine if they had gone with IMPACT WRESTLING from the beginning. Such a good name for a wrestling company, a huge blunder along with bringing back Russo after Spike told them not too and not selling to spike when they had the chance 

• Like 5

Wasn't there video of him training with Jay Lethal recently? Flair looked every bit of an alcoholic septuagenarian in the ring.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Dude’s destined to drop dead in a ring in Tijuana. Not much anyone can do about it. 

When he said in promos he wanted to die in the ring, I always believed him. I say let him wrestle. It's like when people take their dog to the beach one last time before the vet puts them down. He's 130, he did some very questionable things, hasn't exactly been a family man over the years. He only knows how to be Ric Flair. Fuck it, just let him be Ric Flair one last time on his way out. It's like this Law and Order episode I saw once where Brian Dennehy played a guy with terminal lung cancer and he's smoking a cigarette. Benson goes "should you be smoking?" And he goes "What, am I gonna get sick?" I just hope he gets to blade before he goes, I know it's his favorite

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Wasn't there video of him training with Jay Lethal recently? Flair looked every bit of an alcoholic septuagenarian in the ring.

I wouldn’t go that far but Lethal was definitely doing most of the work. Flair can still hit a couple of his signature spots, but I also never want to see him in an actual wrestling match again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Technico Support said:

And 30 years later we still have Watts disciple JR gushing about how Jungle Boy is "filling out" like there's nothing to being a wrestler outside some sweet pecs and delts.

When JR kicks the bucket, the funeral instructions regarding which young studs are going to be the pallbearers are going to be something.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

I’m not saying Flair was never anything without his athleticism but he wasn’t ever exactly a psychological genius.

Flair's always been a spotmonkey in his own way, so if he can do enough of them, I suppose people will enjoy it well enough. People still go see the Stones do the same collection of hits, after all.

Especially if he can cut a promo, which really he could still be doing (with the rare bump here or there) as someone's mouthpiece. But that would take not being deluded enough to think he can still go.

I saw this on Reddit regarding the possible Flair match.

Meltzer on Ric Flair's comeback match: "He told me it was a secret but the rumor has it [that it's] Ric Flair and FTR against The Rock 'n' Roll Express and somebody. A match that he is training for [but] not right away. I guess it will get announced when it gets announced if it happens"

• Like 2

Yeah TNA/Impact had its spells where it was tremendously fun.  2004-09 was a great period.  You had incredible x division stuff, Joe, Kurt, Sting in the main event picture and the  rise of the Knockouts with Kong, Taylor Wilde, the Beatiful People. It wasn’t high quality by any means but I have a lot of fond memories of this period.

Then more recently it was excellent during the initial Anthem days, when you had LAX/Lucha Bros/OGz in blood feuds. Su Yungs undead bride gimmick first appeared, Taya was amazing during this period, it’s arguably Tessa Blanchards most settled run, the Rascalz coming to prominence. Again, just another super fun period.

That said, Cody Deaner/ODB, Kevin Nash X-Division guru and MMA Jarrett are still my favourite Impact things of all time.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Mirrored WCW in a lot of ways.

Great in-ring product that focused on the younger talent with some decent storytelling that all went to shit once Hogan arrived and put his friends on top.

Daniels going from headlining a PPV for the title to getting squashed by Sean Morley in the opener a month later was a thing.

• Like 1

Tomohiro Ishii vs Eddie Kingston from NJPW Capital Collision (May 15, 2022, Washington DC) might be my favourite match so far this year, which is REALLY saying something. They work (edit: they fight) a straight up King's Road classic, and with these two warriors you know it's 100% sincere, coming straight from the heart. A genuine expression of pro wrestling love.

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

TNA/Impact feels like a pyramid scheme for how long its been around without being profitable 

Eh - that's a lot of companies through the past decade. That culture isn't going to last for much longer (quite literally possibly in the months).

TNA's biggest problem -- I mean biggest problem -- is their production looked like shit. If they'd had RVD, Angle, Sting etc. working in a WWE-level production environment (which AEW has basically achieved) it could have been quite different. But it looked like the kind of carny a carny would turn their nose up at.

Edited by A_K

On 5/13/2022 at 9:13 PM, Zakk_Sabbath said:

When he said in promos he wanted to die in the ring, I always believed him. I say let him wrestle. It's like when people take their dog to the beach one last time before the vet puts them down. He's 130, he did some very questionable things, hasn't exactly been a family man over the years. He only knows how to be Ric Flair. Fuck it, just let him be Ric Flair one last time on his way out. It's like this Law and Order episode I saw once where Brian Dennehy played a guy with terminal lung cancer and he's smoking a cigarette. Benson goes "should you be smoking?" And he goes "What, am I gonna get sick?" I just hope he gets to blade before he goes, I know it's his favorite

That's how I feel about it. At this point, dude is 73, he's not gonna change. Just let him do what he does and stop worrying about it as long as he isn't hurting anyone else. And that Law & Order episode is 100% what happened to my grandmother too. She was like 80 and on oxygen and would still smoke cigarettes. I bought her a carton of cigarettes as a bday present one year b/c they're so expensive now and she was on a fixed income. My aunts and uncles were chastising me for it and I was like, "she's eighty fucking four and been smoking since she was 8 years old. You think she's gonna quit now? Just let her be happy."

• Like 3